Hard Drive Dead?

"Invalid System Disk,
    Replace disk and press any key"

Dead?

Windows 98.

Zero cd's etc in there.

Either dead or the boot sector is missing/damaged. Use a boot disk and see if you can access the drive.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Rare to lose a whole hard drive. Could also be a controller went bad. Your system might also be overheating. I've seen the BIOS do wierd things when the computer is too hot.
    Rich
    Husband, Father, Retired Marine, Geek

it's not hot where the computer is.

Went into the bios, loaded default, still error.

Trying to install linux over it, but it wont boot from the cd.

This might seem stupid, but are there any floppies in there? I didn't know what you meant by "zero CD's, etc".

Nope, nothing.

Did you bother to run a hard drive test on the drive?
    Happily hosting @ Dathorn.com (Since 3/2003), Ispeeds.net (Since 2004), & Quadspeedi.net (Since 7/2005)!
    Hosted @ FDC for 9 Years

How can I do that when it doesn't even boot.

Boot loader problem?

Originally posted by Camp2Win
    How can I do that when it doesn't even boot.
    Make or get a boot disk, then go to the drive manufacturers website and download their drive diagnostic program. Another option is to download "The Ultimate Boot CD" ISO and make the bootable CD. It has the drive diags for all the major brands (along with other goodies).

http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

oh yeah, i love this cd

I dont have the windows boot cd, as the computer is 5-6 years old.

Edit: maybe i'm doing something wrong - how do you boot from an iso, and does drag + drop work with iso's ? I've heard that it doesnt and I need a burner software, but I dont have the money to buy one.
    Last edited by Mark L; 06-04-2005 at 10:28 PM.

Do you have a working computer with a cd-burner? If so go to the earlier link for the ultimate boot cd.

Check my edit.

Since I cannot edit my last post, Posted again.

Anyway, I pulled out the hard drive.

It's a maxtor, made in 98. model 91296D6
    Last edited by Mark L; 06-04-2005 at 10:56 PM.

The ISO image is used to make a bootable CD using your CD burner software. If you don't have a burner it won't do you much good. If you have a burner but are missing the software download a trial of NERO.
    Although a 7 year old IDE drive is probably toast. I've seen some last longer but not many.
    BTW the ultimate boot cd has the maxtor drive test on it.

That's what I thought, it's probably dead.

Yes I have a cd burner + dvd burner on the computer I am typing this on.

But how do I create an iso image....

You don't create the ISO you go and download it from here Then use your cdr software to "burn it" (usually click on file, then burn image, to do so).

Once you have the cd, you can boot off it on your computer that is having the hard drive issues. Also you can just make a bootable floppy disk (granted you have a drive on your current pc). Grab the disk creator exe file from HERE . But if it's not booting, and doesn't seem to show, and you don't already have a copy of the UBCD laying around, its prolly overkill for a 12.9 gig, 7+ year old hard drive.
    Happily hosting @ Dathorn.com (Since 3/2003), Ispeeds.net (Since 2004), & Quadspeedi.net (Since 7/2005)!
    Hosted @ FDC for 9 Years