What is Spamcop.net doing?

Spamcop.net is popular spam report site (There are several more) what really they are doing? When we report spam, do they report to host? Other than maintaining ‘banned IP’ list, what else they do for each case?

Probably another attempt at destroying spammers, which I endorse. I think that reporting a spammer to their ISP is much more suitable than just a wise-guy proggie that filters e-mails based on context.

They do report to hosts, well sometimes.

It dissects the headers, and finds everybody to send a report to, and then sends a report. I like it a lot, because of its ease, but I don't know how effective it really is.
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Including an RSS feed that you can syndicate!
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Unlimited vs. Unmetered bandwidth

It takes time to find ISP/host and report to them, but as said, spamcop is easy, I use it really don't know how it works.

They maintain a blocking list which can be used by email providers to block spammers. But my own preference is Spamhaus as I consider Spamcop too punishing sometimes.

I use Spamcop all the time. They save me from drowning in Spam!
    Web Hosting Reviews — based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

They report it to hosts and make sure they fix the problem. A person at spamcop actually investigates a lot of the reports.
    Webair Internet Development Inc.
    Shared Hosting • Managed Dedicated Servers • SEO
    1.866.WEBAIR.1 • www.webair.com • 24/7/365 Support • Adult Friendly
    My comments do not reflect the views of the company or its management.

Question spamcop

Some people I know who work in abuse at various ISPs say they prefer the spamcop spam reports to other types of complaints because they are very well presented.

The spamcop reports often put the offending domains or IPs in the subject line of the email which makes it easier for the host to find the offending customer.

I would rather have spamcop parse my spam complaints than to research it myself for it is way too time consuming and I do not have a script myself that could automate the work for me.

Does anyone out there recommend other freeware anti-spam reporting software?