Why do forums now consist of people who hate you for asking questions?

I remember a few years ago if you had a question about something computer related, you would visit a computer support forum and ask you question and someone would help you. That is what the purpose of that particular forum is for. However this site and a couple of other forums I noticed that if you ask a revelant question, you will get attacked by some people telling you to search google, pay someone, etc. So what is the purpose of coming to a support forum if they only tell you to view google?

I dont know about you, but I am not good at using google. Let's say I need to find out a particular php code, I would come across 15 non relevant websites, or sites that contain the answer under 8000 words of off topic text, before finding the answer. Isnt it more logical to simply post a question on a forum, and have someone answer it and then you are done?

See I have a lot of forums and when someone asks a question that I know the answer to I am glad to share what I have learned. But I notice a lot of forums now when you ask a question you get attacked and flamed, what is the deal? So to those who attack people who want to learn, do you expect them not to post here at all? I am sure I know who will reply to this topic, this stalker here who attacks me for every post.

I understand your frustration!

I imagine it stems from the fact alot of people have probably answered the same question about a hundred times before.

Yes but that is not our fault. If you work for a company and the same customers have the same questions do you blame them? I just think that it is very ignorant on their part and this issue needs to be addressed. We are not forcing those people who attack people who want to learn to read our topics.

I couldn't agree more with the complaint. I expect this Web Hosting Lounge to get a little heated because it is full of politics, religion, and sex - all topics not considered polite conversation but I enjoy mixing it up too.

In tech support forums some get very personal and nasty. I'm amazed sometimes at the herd mentality that some have to hate some forms of web hosting or even of technology. I also don't understand why people tell folks to search the forum for an answer if they have it. Some come with "Hey I'm short on time, I need some help" which I'll do on other forums as well and they'll get "Search Google" or "Search the Forum". Many times I have searched and can't find what I'm looking for. I guess my mentality is that if I don't want to be bothered to answer the question then I won't take the time to answer it but I won't berate the guy or give him the obvious "Search the forum" answer.

I think part of it too after a while is that a forum starts to become a bit of a "club" after a while. Takes a bit to know the personality of the forum, who's posting, etc. These forums were a bit grating on me for a bit because some were so strident but it's grown on me and I'm a scrapper so I stuck it out.

Needless to say, though, I agree with your sentiment and wish folks would just help or leave alone but the "search the forums" answer is all over the net and, for what it's worth, I've found this crowd to me more helpful than many other forums I've frequented.
    Rich
    Husband, Father, Retired Marine, Geek

Good post DevilDog

It's a shame, really. The forums were started with help in mind, and then they lose patience with the very thing they began...

I know of at least 2 good ones that still help unconditionally, but can't mention either one here because of my involvement.
    Your one stop shop for decentralization

I agree entirely I was reading one photo forum where I got sick of seeing people new to photography asking basic questions in a very polite manner and at best being ignored. It really narked me to see people with an interest, even a passion, get such a bad impression. It could really turn peoples future in an interest around from something they could derive pleasure from for a long time to another thing being flogged on ebay.
    This is repeated across virtually every topic. Too many people staring at their own colons.
    I can see that some people dont have much time. However, if all you do is post to reinforce your own image of yourself, rather then to actually make a positive difference in peoples lives then your contributing to a very sad society.
    No one knows everything, a great many people won't admit they aren't the oracle and will do everything under the sun to preserve that image of themselves.
    * Devildog, well said
    --
    Rich

I agree, as well. I received warning points early this morning for telling someone in another thread that there was no point in asking, "Why are you asking this question here? Search 'x'-site" or Google or whatever. I didn't understand why he would ask something like that, but on the other hand, with regards to the actual warning points and the rules, I guess you can't be rude when asking someone something here, so even though the person's question was implicitly rude and irrelevant, mine was more explicit and so I was warned. That's how the cookie crumbles sometimes, and first impressions are everything to some. Some just don't want to help, but, as richy said, they want to preserve their self-image, so they become condescending and contemptuous to new members asking questions which were perhaps answered several years ago on these same forums.

I think the best rule of thumb in deciding what to say and what not to is that old proverb we call the "Golden Rule": "Do unto others as you would want them to do unto you."

If you don't want to help, don't, but don't patronize someone else to make yourself look superior. I'm sure, before they posted their question or concern, they knew Google existed and had probably even considered searching it but chose not to or had actually searched it, but to no avail.

Originally posted by DevilDog
    Needless to say, though, I agree with your sentiment and wish folks would just help or leave alone but the "search the forums" answer is all over the net and, for what it's worth, I've found this crowd to me more helpful than many other forums I've frequented.
    Well, I can attest that I am guilty of the "Search the forums" answer, as I have done it a few times, some times I will even do it for them and post a link to that thread, and still say "Search the forums" Only because, when you visit a forum frequently, you see the SAME questions OVER and OVER and OVER it gets a bit reduntant, If its a quick easy question, sure I will go ahead and answer no problem, but if the response requires a bit of writing, I'll give that answer.

Another response I have given is "It was just posted a few days ago, search or scroll back a few days"

I don't mind helping, and I do my fair share of assisting people when they need it, but if someone asks a question about say "Paypal" and I do a search for "Paypal" and find the answer real quick, I'll be rude about it. There's only so much that you can hold someones hand before it gets plain annoying.
    Let Google know when your dead | Read More >>
    Submit Your Press Release, Article, or News Tip Today
    W3Reports - News for Webmasters

Originally posted by Trifolic
    Well, I can attest that I am guilty of the "Search the forums" answer, as I have done it a few times, some times I will even do it for them and post a link to that thread, and still say "Search the forums" Only because, when you visit a forum frequently, you see the SAME questions OVER and OVER and OVER it gets a bit reduntant, If its a quick easy question, sure I will go ahead and answer no problem, but if the response requires a bit of writing, I'll give that answer.
    After all, "give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

Originally posted by SniperDevil
    After all, "give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
    Exactly, I've seen you help out, but like me, when you see people with like 500+ posts asking the same questions that people with 1 post ask, you would think they would know how to find the answer themselves..
    Let Google know when your dead | Read More >>
    Submit Your Press Release, Article, or News Tip Today
    W3Reports - News for Webmasters

Loving the quote SniperDevil

I agree though. It does get annoying when users do not search the forums to begin with.

Exactly, I've seen you help out, but like me, when you see people with like 500+ posts asking the same questions that people with 1 post ask, you would think they would know how to find the answer themselves..
    Heh, yeah. I usually try not to be rude (probably like you), but if it's totally obvious, like in the same forum right there or something, I'll tactfully mention it.

I agree about the being 'attacked', but often to prevent hostilities I often conduct a search FIRST to ensure that what i am asking is not already there
    Services: SMF Theme Creation | Play: Best Text RPG (Browser game)

I'm an admin at a tech forum and it never ceases to amaze me how many new members' first post will have a title like this:

OMG, PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!1111 URGENT!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111

Then the post is something like:

MY COMPUTER WON'T POWER ON, WHAT'S WRONG?

Hello, how about you learn how to turn off the caps lock and not SHOUT and maybe, just maybe, give us a few more details about your system? A descriptive thread title would be nice, too.

Then there are those who ask the most obvious questions when there's a stickied FAQ thread that answers them all.

If a newbie takes the time to say they've searched to no avail, and gives enough info to help troubleshoot a problem, then people are generally more than polite and helpful to them.

Originally posted by Virago
    I'm an admin at a tech forum and it never ceases to amaze me how many new members' first post will have a title like this:

OMG, PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!1111 URGENT!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111

Then the post is something like:

MY COMPUTER WON'T POWER ON, WHAT'S WRONG?
    Rich
    Husband, Father, Retired Marine, Geek

If they don't reply with "search the forum/google", they wouldn't have an opportunity to have you see their signature It does become annoying especially when they don't take time to actually read the post. Quite often the thread starter would have stated that he/she had already searched.

There is a proper way to ask a question, and then there is just ignorance. I try to be as civil as I can when answering questions. But sometimes, even I snap (and I have been repremanded for it).

Anyway -- I don't like lazy people. People who expect to be spoon fed, because they can't be bothered to type two words into Google. I'm sorry, but I don't see what is so damn difficult about searching for something.

Now if someone has searched, and still are stuck with something, then I am more than happy to help them. This shows me that they are atleast trying to solve an issue themselves, and not just expecting an answer on a silver plate. No one is born with knowledge and everyone has to seek it. Everyone has been a "newbie" once, but there is always the right way, and the stupid way.

I don't mind helping, and I do my fair share of assisting people when they need it, but if someone asks a question about say "Paypal" and I do a search for "Paypal" and find the answer real quick, I'll be rude about it.
    I've always found if you can't be nice to people then you should probably STFU and GBTW. I'm not picking you out specifically but using your post as an example.

If you've gone ahead and used the 'search' function yourself and found their answer, a quick link to those same search results with a quick "here you are" would work just as well as trading an insult with them.

They'll get the results they couldn't find, and you don't end up looking like a prick.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

What? are you saying that i hate you for asking whether i hate you? how insulting! you come here to this forum bringing hate to the ever-tranquil lives of it's inhabitants and think that everyone will hate you!?! darned n00b, can't you find out whether everyone hates you without bothering us?

<covering ***=true>
    </sacasm>
    </covering>
    Peter Hall
    Tera Web Hosting
    UK Web Hosting and Backup Storage