Host problems-was never given a website

Hello. I was wondering if someone could help me about a problem I have been having with a website host provider?

I signed up for a domain name and hosting through lypha.com on May 18th. I was told it would take 48 hours to propagate my domain name. It still has not propagated 17 days (200 or so hours) later. I have emailed their "24/7" support several times and have received minimal help in return. All the return emails stated that I should keep waiting and the domain name would be up shortly. I have also sent emails to supervisors and tried talking to their online ICQ help. Their phone line only leads to an answering machine.

This is the first time I have signed up for my own domain name. Does anyone know about this company through other personal experience? Have I been scammed?

I would appreciate any help you could give me in this matter. Even if you do not have any knowledge of the company any help in what action I should take next would be helpful. Thank you!

What is the domain you registered?

I would rather not say because I would rather not have it be posted in public. However, I have checked on internic.net/whois.html and has not registered there. If you would really need it to be able to help me I can email it to you.

Sorry to hear this. This company has had many dissatisfied customers (just check this forum for instance).

My advice is to use the money-back guarantee I hope they provide...

PS: getting your domain name out of their claws may cause problems.... Generally, NEVER get a domain name as part of a hosting package deal.
    Last edited by Nadabrahma; 06-04-2005 at 03:27 PM.
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Take your money back, they offer a 30-day money back guarantee. Since your domain has not yet been registered, you can register it elsewhere like namecheap.com

If you have checked the WHOIS information and it appears your domain has not been registered (especially after several weeks) then definitely do not post it in public. What I would do if I were you is first go to a reputable domain registrar and register the domain yourself. This way you are certain to have control over it in the future and you can easily move between hosting companies should you need to. Then I would find another hosting service with a good reputation and at the same time start the cancelation process with your old host. In my opinion you are entitled to a 100% refund from your old host as they never delivered what they were supposed to.

Thank you all so incredibly much for all your help! I was going to cancel the account under their 30 day money back guarantee but was unsure if this would actually work since I have had so many problems with them already. I will try it and hope to actually get my money back.

Thank you for letting me know I shouldn't get my domain name with the host provider. Again, I am new at this and I didn't know. Does anyone have a good website for me to go to to learn about this sort of thing? I would like to read up on it. Would you all recommend namecheap.com then to register my domain name under? I would rather not get scammed again but I have no idea what the good domain name registers are. If I do this, how does the host provider work with the domain name register? I am not sure how this works?

I started to register on namecheap.com and they asked me if I wanted to use their free name servers or a custom name server and I don't know what that means? Could someone please help me? I think to have this custom name server I need to have a host provider. Do you know if I can change this after I register?

Also, does someone know what the "good" host providers are? Or is there a website you can go to to read where others can post poor/good experiences with host providers? It is difficult for me to tell them apart sometimes.
    Thank you!!

Originally posted by rainforestspirit
    Thank you all so incredibly much for all your help! I was going to cancel the account under their 30 day money back guarantee but was unsure if this would actually work since I have had so many problems with them already. I will try it and hope to actually get my money back.

Thank you for letting me know I shouldn't get my domain name with the host provider. Again, I am new at this and I didn't know. Does anyone have a good website for me to go to to learn about this sort of thing? I would like to read up on it. Would you all recommend namecheap.com then to register my domain name under? I would rather not get scammed again but I have no idea what the good domain name registers are. If I do this, how does the host provider work with the domain name register? I am not sure how this works?

I started to register on namecheap.com and they asked me if I wanted to use their free name servers or a custom name server and I don't know what that means? Could someone please help me? I think to have this custom name server I need to have a host provider. Do you know if I can change this after I register?
    Yes, you can change the nameservers after it`s registered

I was going to cancel the account under their 30 day money back guarantee but was unsure if this would actually work since I have had so many problems with them already.
    If they refuse to refund your money you may want to contact your credit card company and inquire about doing a chargeback. Make sure you give your old host the opportunity to refund your money first. Only do a chargeback as a last resort.
    I started to register on namecheap.com and they asked me if I wanted to use their free name servers or a custom name server and I don't know what that means?
    Just use their name servers for now. After you find a hosting company you can go back and change your name servers to the ones your new hosting provider gives you.
    Does anyone have a good website for me to go to to learn about this sort of thing?
    I think webhostingtalk.com is a good place to start.

Who is the host?

Would you all recommend namecheap.com then to register my domain name under?
    I don't know about "all", but I would recommend them. I use them and things are good.

Good luck!

Re: Host problems-was never given a website

Hello. I was wondering if someone could help me about a problem I have been having with a website host provider?

I signed up for a domain name and hosting through lypha.com on May 18th. I was told it would take 48 hours to propagate my domain name. It still has not propagated 17 days (200 or so hours) later. I have emailed their "24/7" support several times and have received minimal help in return. All the return emails stated that I should keep waiting and the domain name would be up shortly. I have also sent emails to supervisors and tried talking to their online ICQ help. Their phone line only leads to an answering machine.

This is the first time I have signed up for my own domain name. Does anyone know about this company through other personal experience? Have I been scammed?

I would appreciate any help you could give me in this matter. Even if you do not have any knowledge of the company any help in what action I should take next would be helpful. Thank you!
    Their ICQ people are like robots. They don't have a brain of their own.