Thread: Colorblindness

Colorblindness

I just noticed something that might be a concern for iNet (Greg? Jeremy? Who's the interface designer?). I'm outside on my fiancee's porch, sitting under an umbrella getting some work done. I have healthy vision, and the screen on my laptop is pretty good where I am, not great, but good enough to enjoy a little sun while I catch up with things.

However, I noticed that I cannot tell the difference between a thread with a new post and one that does not have one. The blue and the grey are very close in color, and while I would not expect iNet to adjust post icons based on my desire to get a little fresh air, I wonder whether this is a regular problem for members who have certain kinds of colorblindness, as I imagine the lack of color depth I'm experiencing can't be too far off from a colorblind person's vision.

It's documented that 10-13% of the population experiences some form of colorblindness, a portion of whom are entirely colorblind. I wonder whether a visual indicator besides subtle shading might not work better for more people, maybe something visually in the icon itself, or a more pronounced color change. Maybe it's not really a problem at all - I just noticed it and thought I'd point it out, since it would be a very easy fix to make a slight icon adjustment that worked for a broader audience.

Anywho, back to your regularly scheduled program already in progress
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

Believe it or not I'm a little colour blind and I have trouble discerning what is read or fresh.
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.

i'm not color blind, and with glasses in a well lighted room i do have some trouble telling whats new and old, i do hope inet does something about this.......

maybe a newpost could be an orange color ? comething that sticks out ?
    8i Networks - Advanced Web Solutions
    Web Hosting, Web Design, Domain Names and E-Commerce
    Providing Affordable, Reliable and Scalable Web Solutions Since 2000.

Re: Colorblindness

Originally posted by the_pm
    ...I wonder whether this is a regular problem for members who have certain kinds of colorblindness...
    You can check it out at the following site:

http://www.vischeck.com/vischeck/vischeckURL.php

Simulates various types of colorblind effects for an URL you feed it.
    Eric J. Bowman, principal
    Bison Systems Corporation coming soon: a new sig!
    I'm just a poor, unfrozen caveman Webmaster. Your new 'standards' frighten, and confuse me...

Good call Eric. Vischeck choked on the URL, but I uploaded a screenshot and it seemed the three modes checked were not problematic.

However, Vischeck does not check for full colorblindness, which I know at least a few WHT members have (I know of one who no longer comes to WHT - I can't say whether this was a factor or not though). I converted the screenshot to black and white, and the results are unfortunate...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails screenshot_bw.png  
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

Here's the original screenshot, for A:B comparison purposes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails screenshot.png  

Im not color blind but sometimes I have trouble with reading the threads if the fonts get kind of small

Anyway thats just my opinion