Thread: Game Hosting

Game Hosting

Hi all.

I'm after some advice here.
    There doesn't seem to be a great deal of providers of budget gaming solutions.
    Most people seem to be trying to sell you whole servers etc and they cost over $50/month just for 8 players etc.

I think I can easily build the technology to bring Gaming into the 'shared' enviroment, hosting many game servers on a server. I know this has already been done, but it's so expensive.

Can anyone tell me what sort of bandwidth and resources gaming 'servers' (as in 1 game, not a whole server) take up.
    I was looking to maybe get a 16 player gaming service going for maybe $10-15/month.
    It's only an idea, since i'd like to find a bit more about it first.

I notice that Plesk now has a 'Counter Strike' addon, which users can install and give to their customers, which is intresting.
    Andrew Thomas

Have you already looked in "Dedicated Servers" section? I think you can find out information about Game Servers there, which might be interesting for you.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

I have a colocated dual Xeon server that I host several games on.
    I read long and hard all over the net about this subject. Most gaming host would recommend not to start hosting because you end up workin too much and a bunch of other excusses to keep any compitition away.
    I simply didn't want to deal with these people anymore after they freak out when I make a simple change to an ini to improve how a 5yr game would play. I ended up buliding my 1U server and shopped around for months looking for good fast and cheap bandwidth. I was having a hard time finding what I needed. Until a friend of mine hooked me up with his ISP provider who lets me host for free as long as all the servers are open to the public.

So now I host 2-16 man UT2k4 servers and 2-14 man COD/UO servers and 1 14man Sacrad server. All for free to my friends.

For the amount of bandwidth I'd normally need to do this I wouldn't be able to afford hosting 16 man server for $10 a month.
    So I'm still not sure who's getting the better deal, me, my friends or the ISP provider who wanted free public servers in thier location.

Anyway here's another good forum with some better numbers on usage... h**p://forums.servermatrix.com/ They have thier own game hosting forum.

So any ideas on what say:
    1X16 slot full Counter Strike server will use in:
    Bandwidth, CPU usage, RAM usage.
    Andrew Thomas

512 Mbit, depends on the CPU, about 200 MB.

"Everyone else charges $6 per player. I bet I could do it for 80 cents!"
    That's going to be a harsh reality check when it hits.
    Game Servers are the next hot market!
    Slim margins, heavy support, fickle customers, and moronic suppliers!
    Start your own today!

Originally posted by hiryuu
    512 Mbit, depends on the CPU, about 200 MB.

"Everyone else charges $6 per player. I bet I could do it for 80 cents!"
    That's going to be a harsh reality check when it hits.
    512Mbit? Bandwidth??

Let's say a P4 2.8Ghz CPU.
    Has anyone got any actual data?
    $6 player is a bit much. Even in the UK I can get a slot with 34sp for 2.
    Andrew Thomas

Try http://www.clanwarzgamingservers.com, They only charge $3.50 per player on an 8 man CS server: http://www.clanwarzgamingservers.com/css.html

Originally posted by B2Media
    Try http://www.clanwarzgamingservers.com, They only charge $3.50 per player on an 8 man CS server: http://www.clanwarzgamingservers.com/css.html
    That's quite cheap, however I was actually looking to be a provider myself.

I seem to get the impression that the number of players on each server isn't hugely relevant- it's the number of games been run.
    I've just run one blank BF1942 server and it was taking 16% CPU with no players on it, and with 16 players on it it only went up to 19%.
    Andrew Thomas

Most games their servers tend to be more memory hungry than CPU. For example you can see a cs 1.6 server use anywhere from 54MB to 100MB of ram and only 50mhz or so. The big thing is when they change maps they'll take up a cpu but if you have fast scsi drives the cpu could be minimal in that as well.
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and VPS Hosting
    PHP 5.3.x & PHP 5.4.x & PHP 5.5.X & PHP 5.6.X & PHP 7.0.X Support!

For you to build your server I would say at least have 2GB ram... possibly more I have my own personal server which is a dual xeon 3.0Ghz, 3Gb RAM, 73gb SCSI drives and i use it for 2, 40 men css seervers.

Originally posted by thomas7
    512Mbit? Bandwidth??

Let's say a P4 2.8Ghz CPU.
    Has anyone got any actual data?
    $6 player is a bit much. Even in the UK I can get a slot with 34sp for 2.
    Er 512 kbit (0.5 Mbit). On that CPU, you can get about 75 players active, although you can oversell beyond that.
    Game Servers are the next hot market!
    Slim margins, heavy support, fickle customers, and moronic suppliers!
    Start your own today!