How much downloading speed will I get with 1mb dedicated

Hi guys,

I'm getting 1mb dedicated bandwidth...... if I upload say a 200mb file to test the download speed, what kind of download speed should I get? Am I looking at 1mb? 900kb? 700kb per second?

(Note: I'm using a 6mb cable connection to test this download)

Do not this server has no website at all, a clean installed server with plesk, mysql and so on and a 200mb file to test the download.

What about the upload, if I were to use FTP what kind of uploading speed I should get for 1mb dedicated?

Thanks

If you get a 1 megabit dedicated connection, then you should get at least 1 megabit of bandwidth. Your provider may allow you to burst higher than 1mbps on a best effort basis. You should ask them.

Usually HTTP/FTP clients measure in kilobytes per second, while bandwidth pipes are measured in kilobits or megabits per second.

1 megabit per second = 125 kilobytes per second.

Most HTTP/FTP applications also measure the effective data throughput, whereas your provider is probably selling you raw throughput. After accounting for overhead, I would expect to see about 100 kB/s on a 1 megabit capped port.

It's not clear what you and your provider mean by "dedicated". The above applies if your port is capped to 1 Mbps, but it might not be. If it isn't, you might be able to burst up to full line speed. In that case, "dedicated" would mean that they guarnatee that 1 Mbps is available to you, but you are allowed to use more if it's available.

if they give you a 1meg capped line then you will only be able to pull 1mbps worth of speed down, if you are on say a 100mbit burstable then you will be able to get all 6mbps thatyour cable can pull down

Some provider may not cap the upload speed, but only cap the download speed.

1Mbps cap, will allow around 100KB/s.
    Alan Woo, alan [@] ne.com.sg
    = NewMedia Express Pte Ltd (AS38001)
    = IP Transit, Colocation & Dedicated Servers in Singapore | Hong Kong | Tokyo | Seoul | Jakarta |
    = Singapore Speedtest speedtest.sg

Originally posted by alanwoo
    Some provider may not cap the upload speed, but only cap the download speed.

1Mbps cap, will allow around 100KB/s.
    Yoi Alan, nice to see you here ..... cheers.