Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How bad is cihost?

I am looking for an affordable colocation facility for a game server in california area, preferably closest to the west side as possible so I would need good pings and a stable network. I read a fair amount of bad things about cihost but for some crazy reason I am always drawn back to them.....could a few people inform me about them and why they would be a bad or good choice. I don't want to chance my servers in a crummy network so if anyone knows of a better place my options are open. I need 350gb/mo bandwidth max on 100mbit burstable and I am looking for $100/mo anywhere from 1u-4u would be perfectly fine, I like the idea of 4u though which I think is the reason I keep wandering back to cihost! cheaper cases and more flexibility

You can do a quick search of Cihost on these boards and find out. The bandwidth is mostly cogent feed and the network has got to be congested. I would not go that route with gameservers.

I have searched here a bit but everyone seems to not have a difinitive reason why they are bad, and seems to be mostly speculative reason like their network "has" to be congested or their service "must" be bad because of their prices or because they are cogent, I am wondering who has actual experience with them and can comment first hand. are there any suggestions as to who is a good choice for this type of application?

I would highly recommend using a 1U or 2U rack-mount chassis. The case might run you around $200, but you'll save in rack fees (or you can avoid going with the lower quality companies that charge the same for a tower).
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Q: Is CIHOST bad?

A: Yes

Q: What is your definitive answer

A: Dishonest, bad support and not so great network

Q: Were you a previous customer

Is this clear enough for you?
    ServGrid - www.servgrid.com - Affordable and Reliable SSD Cloud Solutions
    Premium 10G Network, 2(N+1) Powerplant and SSD Performance
    Web, Reseller, KVM VPS, Storage and Private Cloud Hosting
    Click here to see our SSD Benchmarks!

ouch.

I know you're looking for west coast ....
    BUT
    wholesaleinternet.com has a deal where you can co-lo 1u-4u chasis and have 1Mbit unmetered transit for $75/month

yes the answer was very clear and exactly what I was looking for, is there a data center or colo facility that you would recommend for this type of application?

CIHost is lawsuit happy. Google and search on WHT. they even sue ex customers.

oh awesome, I am looking currently at baylocation.net, they seem to have a good reputation with fair pricing, any one have any comments on their services?

IM sorry but what in the hell is 1mbit unmetered? That's like all you can eat buffet ... but we only have 1thing on the menu and u have 1 bowl

Originally posted by The Broadband Man
    IM sorry but what in the hell is 1mbit unmetered? That's like all you can eat buffet ... but we only have 1thing on the menu and u have 1 bowl
    You can push 1mbit sustained 24/7...
    It's Scott!

since when can you NOT at a colo facility? unmetered involves overselling etc ... how do you effectively oversell a 1mbps commit?

Unmetered within 1mbit thats all.. once you try to pop over 1mbit your gone. This way of putting its used alot..
    It's Scott!

it's not tough.

you could probably host ~250 domains on 1Mbit. especially if the provider will give you 95th percentile ...

Originally posted by camers
    Unmetered within 1mbit thats all.. once you try to pop over 1mbit your gone. This way of putting its used alot..
    so in other words it's 1mbit DEDICATED?

Quote Originally Posted by seraph1
    so in other words it's 1mbit DEDICATED?
    Dedicated? I believe that term is usually used for whether you are the only one on that 1mbit connection. For example, places like FDC use the term 'shared 100Mbit' to tell you that you are not the only one on that particular switch so chances are, you will not get the full 100Mbit. Dedicated is where you get it all to yourself.

Yes i'd say dedicated. You wouldnt catch me buying a shared 1mbit thats for sure.. *sigh*
    It's Scott!

That's almost asinine to offer a 1mbit unmetered plan ...

That doesn't make the plan look better ... make's the host look worse if they have to make sure you get you're not on a 1mbit shared connection ...

i can host 1mbit shared from my partial T1 at home

Its just the way they say it, its not bad or anything. You seem to misunderstand somewhere along the line.
    It's Scott!

No, he just likes being cynical. Rather annoying.

Who, The broadband Man? If so..yup...
    It's Scott!

How is it cynical? ... cynical has to do with the expecting an outcome Sean and last I checked I was allowed to voice my opinions

This topic has gone way over-topic. I would just stay away from cihost, dishonest, spams other forums, sends fax spam, uses illegal software. Don't take the risk!

Originally posted by ANewDay
    This topic has gone way over-topic. I would just stay away from cihost, dishonest, spams other forums, sends fax spam, uses illegal software. Don't take the risk!
    You got that right!.....

For your enjoyment;

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...5&pagenumber=1

Originally posted by The Broadband Man
    Q: Is CIHOST bad?
    Q: What is your definitive answer
    A: Dishonest, bad support and not so great network
    Q: Were you a previous customer
    Originally posted by ANewDay
    I would just stay away from cihost, dishonest, spams other forums, sends fax spam, uses illegal software. Don't take the risk!
    Sorry to get in late on this thread (almost a month late, even) but I wanted to say "thanks" for these two concise, clear answers on CIHost. I happened to find them off Vixie's Personal Colocation registry and I was very close to signing up... but suddenly I got cold feet and pulled back. I hopped on Google and started digging... sure enough, lots of horror stories. I noticed that most of them were circa 2003, so I checked in here. Big surprise, a thread only about a month old confirming my suspicions.

I'm not impressed when their "Colocation FAQ" says they're peered with Qwest, Verio and Winstar but a quick peek at the tables shows their main ASN (14501) to be connected via Cogent, BTN and Hurricane Electric (I have some respect for HE but not tons). Okay, they have one or two other peers via their other two ASNs (27473 and 27474) but it looks to me like a snowjob. If they can't even be upfront about their connectivity then there's a rat. That, in conjunction with the horror stories I've read out on the web (google for "CIHost reviews" and let the fun commence) tell it all: systems down for months, terrible conditions at the "data centers," fraudulent billing, poor customer service... it all kills any thought of going with them.

My search for a Chicago colocation facility continues.

go with steadfastnetworks. thats who I eventually signed up with, they have good rates and a excellent staff, and a rock solid network

A good friend of mine was in their Chicago facility about a year and a half ago. Let's just say it beat The Planet/Server Matrix (which he's using now)...but I haven't exactly heard anything good about CI Host other than that.
    PacketAce
    Because packets were meant to be delivered.
    Premium Mzima Bandwith at Equinix - Secaucus, NJ

Originally posted by Feren
    I'm not impressed when their "Colocation FAQ" says they're peered with Qwest, Verio and Winstar
    This is more likely to be information that is long out-of-date than the CIHost folks intentionally misrepresenting their network/transit. That said, there are a number of reputable vendors in Chicago. My guess is you are interested in CIHost because they are inexpensive. In your search for co-location service you should keep in mind that you pretty much get what you pay for.
    Jeff at Innovative Network Concepts / 212-981-0607 x8579 / AIM: jeffsw6
    Expert IP network consultation and operation at affordable rates
    95th Percentile Explained Rate-Limiting on Cisco IOS switches

Originally posted by jsw6
    there are a number of reputable vendors in Chicago.
    Then by all means, please share names and/or URLs. I've got one nomination for steadfastnetworks and am open to whatever you choose to add to the list.

Originally posted by BaselineAce
    A good friend of mine was in their Chicago facility about a year and a half ago. Let's just say it beat The Planet/Server Matrix (which he's using now)...but I haven't exactly heard anything good about CI Host other than that.
    *laughs* That's one heck of a "ringing endorsement" for CIHost, there. Makes me glad I'm continuing my search.

Originally posted by Feren
    Then by all means, please share names and/or URLs. I've got one nomination for steadfastnetworks and am open to whatever you choose to add to the list.
    We have business relationships with so many hosting companies that it would be difficult for me to issue a recommendation without the appearance of bias. I also don't know your specific needs or budget.

You could post some additional details to the thread, and I'd be glad to tell you if the companies you are interested in are way off-base for your application; but I would prefer not to steer you toward a certain company and have some WHT poster accuse me of bias.
    Jeff at Innovative Network Concepts / 212-981-0607 x8579 / AIM: jeffsw6
    Expert IP network consultation and operation at affordable rates
    95th Percentile Explained Rate-Limiting on Cisco IOS switches

There's no need to accuse Jeff. We all know who you work for and with and if you endorse them then that's one hell of an endorsement.

For those of you that do not understand this, any company with Jeff in the background doing networking for must know what's good for their customers etc. (Or else Jeff woulda probably quit a while ago )

In Chicago if you want inexpensive (relatively)

1. Server Axis (Dave Schmidt, resellers Steadfastnetworks bw)
    2. Steadfastnetworks (KarlaZimmerman)
    3. Defenderhosting (Tom K)

Slightly more expensive

1. Tilted.net (InterNAP + Peer 1 BGP, but you can opt for Pure Peer 1 or Pure InterNAP)

i've never hosted with them but they annoyed the hell out of me.

I emailed them for whatever reason and they sent me a reply with what i was looking for so I was happy.

Then they kept sending about 10 copies of the same email - trying to get me to sign up. I replied asking to be removed from the list and they kept sending them. It's all sorted now though.

I'm quite surprised that most people dont seem to like them I thought they looked quite good.

Barry

All I know is that they need to quit sending us fax spam.
    Corey Northcutt | Northcutt
    Competitive inbound marketing with a hosting industry competency.
    Social | Content | Optimization | Outreach

I had to use the attorney general of texas to get my money back.

Laggy networks.

Packet loss.

Servers lost for 12-28 days upon signed arrival with ups.

I could go on and on, save yourself...

Im sure the owner is looking at this thread as he has to constantly search the web to rebutt critics and disgruntled ex-customers.
    Last edited by fmjbird; 07-07-2005 at 06:24 AM.

In los angeles use calpop.com

Flawless network conditions

Great prices for the quality

Well, you're still getting your bang for your buck if you do go for CIHost Chicago, regardless of the bad things they've done albeit their facility is far from state-of-the-art. It always helps to live around the region, so if they do something stupid you can get right up into their face and threaten to leave.

Originally posted by fmjbird
    In los angeles use calpop.com

Flawless network conditions

Great prices for the quality

Not to dis on your post but if you are going to recommend a bad provider on top of another bad provider you are asking for it. Believe me, I had calpop before and there is nothing flawless about their network, which isn't even what they claim on their website.

..your post could be the result of the following..

a) You haven't been with them long enough.
    b) You need to get out more.
    c) Lynn?

CIHOST currently uses broadwing now in the LA facility not Cogent.
    data center directory - The comprehensive data center resource. Version 2.0 coming soon!

don't use cihost.

i signed up for a 1/2 rack from them, and pulled all my stuff out after 6 months, literally drove down there. they won't offer a refund, i can't believe it. check out what happened to me:

- they lost my rails on shipment, and used them somewhere else. when i got there, all my 1u's were seperated by rubber and corkboard

- their facility in dallas is cooled by one portable ac unit (blowing hot air right out into the lobby from the 2nd floor) and they have several large fans (warehouse types) just blowing in their 'noc'.

- they said they sold me a 3com switch, i get there and it is a freaking linksys

i'm really bummed, they promise this 99.x% uptime with their SLA, and i would literally have the entire 1/2 rack down for days.

they won't give me any money back, and i'm looking at it like this, pulling my equipment out was the best move i made. linked up with jeff at sproketnetworks.com, man what a great facility that one was. night and day difference w/ cihost.

so yeah, don't use cihost. they really don't care, they just want the money, then they really don't care after that.

so it has been 3 weeks since i pulled my stuff, and i'm trying to get my money back for:

- the missing rails
    - the price difference between the switch they said they sold me, and what was actually there
    - 6 months remaining on my contract, after 100+ hours of downtime since may, i just couldn't take it anymore.

screw them, i'm trying to purchase the cihostsucks.com domain name.

-robert

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast