Mysql version incompatibility - STR_TO_DATE - Any way arount this?

I wrote this script for a site and it was working fine, but now i have moved the site to a new host. every thing else is fine but when i run this update query i get the error below.

$date = date ("d-m-Y H:i");

$result = mysql_query("UPDATE table SET name = '$name', date = '$date', newdate=STR_TO_DATE('$date', '%d-%m-%Y %H:%i:%s'), aproved = '$aproved' WHERE id='$id'") or die(mysql_error());

this is the error i get, i think its to do with STR_TO_DATE

You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '('04-06-2005 12:32:33', '%d-%m-%Y %H:%i:%s')

how can i fix it?
    maybe i need to convert the date into newdate, but wirthout using STR_TO_DATE ?

Thanks in advance.

STR_TO_DATE is 4.1 and onward, so few hosts will run it for now.

You can use the PHP strtotime() function for a similar effect. It's not clear why you need $date in both a DATETIME format and the original format, though.
    Game Servers are the next hot market!
    Slim margins, heavy support, fickle customers, and moronic suppliers!
    Start your own today!

You may have moved MySQL versions, which would explain the trouble.

though if you change your format to:

YYYY-MM-DD HH:MMS with HH being 24 hour format, you will be in ISO format and mysql will understand.

So something like this might help...

$date_time = split(' ', $date);
    $dates = split('-', $date_time[0]);
    $mysqldate = $dates[2].'-'.$dates[0].'-'.$dates[1].' '.$date_time[1];

Give it a shot?
    Jacob - WebOnce Technologies - 30 Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - Over 5 Years Going Strong!
    Website Hosting, PHP4&5, RoR, MySQL 5.0, Reseller Hosting, Development, and Designs