Idea for my server during the idle months (summer)

So I got thinking, my site is going to be pretty dead during the summer months due to its education related content. During the school year it requires a pretty powerful server to keep it up (2.8GHz 800FSB 2 Gig DDR2 3200 RAM 2x160GB SATA HDs 1500 GB Bandwidth). I feel like I'm completely wasting it now that my site is only doing like 1000 uniques a day. So heres my idea:

Turn it into a gaming server for like Counter-Strike or some other game like that. I would be able to run advertisements for my site during the games played and get some branding out in time for the school year because I figure the audiences of both my site and CS are fairly similar.

What do you guys think?

If you think its a good idea, what exactly do I need to do to get it up and running?

-Chris
    Course-Notes.Org

US History US Government and Politics| Note Outlines Vocab
    Euro History Psychology Econonomics | Forum Study Guides
      0 Not allowed!

I read the first paragraph, and thought, "Maybe a gameserver or something." Great minds think alike

Don't, however, think that you're going to get an incredible amount of hits because people saw your URL advertised. We expected a bit, and got almost nothing.

An alternative idea would be to buy 'another' (cheaper) server that can handle the summer load, transfer your data over there, and cancel your current one. Then buy it again at the end. This isn't without risk, though. (For example, what if they're sold out later on.)

Another idea -- this one would need thinking about too -- is to try to mirror some sort of 'good' sites -- downloads of OpenSource software or something.

Whatever you end up doing, make sure you also think about how you're going to stop doing it when traffic picks up in the fall.
      0 Not allowed!

I thought we already had this exact same thread like 2 weeks ago?
      0 Not allowed!

Mirror Linux distro's?
    ^_^
      0 Not allowed!

He already paid the setup fee for the server, and this was a special promotion price. If he cancels it, he won't be able to get the same specs for the same price. I think you could offer your server to host fan/anime sites. Try to apply to google adsense and make those hostees put up your ads. That's how many free hosting sites do it.
      0 Not allowed!

I thought we already had this exact same thread like 2 weeks ago?
    that was asking for ideas... this is asking for advice opinions on a specific idea

It would seem hard to get free clients for just the summer though - thats the problem I see
    Course-Notes.Org

0 Not allowed!

I think you have asked this already. Are you going to continue to spame the boards with this request?

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...ghlight=months
    Ray Womack @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability
      0 Not allowed!

again... that was asking for ideas... this is asking for advice opinions on a specific idea

i hardly consider 2 related posts 'continuing to spam the boards with this request'
    Course-Notes.Org

0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by CLKeenan
    again... that was asking for ideas... this is asking for advice opinions on a specific idea

i hardly consider 2 related posts 'continuing to spam the boards with this request'
    It's not a unique thread. This topic has died of a natural death.

I don't know which is the worst posting ettiquette - posting the same thing over again or re-opening a dead thread.
    Ray Womack @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability
      0 Not allowed!

I am sure those people who visit your site outside summer will visit your site during summer if you make your site now summer related now and target to the same group of people.
      0 Not allowed!

Make your site related to kids in ... SUMMER SCHOOL!!!!

and video game rots the brain ... I know (/me points to rotted brain)

but in all seriousness, it would seem then that it's a rock and a hard place ... just appeal to some sort of summer and only summer content

the person who said same ppl who visit site in school year will visit in the summer .... consider this

when I was in highschool, i visited the college board site every day for SAT, College stuff. During the summer, didn't go there once I think.

Even a better example. If it is a site for bulletins regarding school districts etc ... why would people give a rats *** during the summer?
    ServGrid - www.servgrid.com - Affordable and Reliable SSD Cloud Solutions
    Premium 10G Network, 2(N+1) Powerplant and SSD Performance
    Web, Reseller, KVM VPS, Storage and Private Cloud Hosting
    Click here to see our SSD Benchmarks!
      0 Not allowed!