Exclamation Maaking Money or a Hobby

Hi,
    I was wondering if you use the reseller accounts to make a buisness or just to do this as a hobby, as i can't see lots of money been made using it as a buisness.

Hosts who insist on having this as a hobby tend to fail. This isn't a proper hobby and certainly should *not* be if you want to be a proper web host.

--GSV
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

If I understood the OP correctly, he was asking if people use reseller accounts to start a business or if they use them for hobby purposes (such as running multiple hobby/personal/friend sites).

That aside, when I got my first reseller account, it was precisely for the second purpose. I had several websites, and wanted to control the 'hosting' features, etc on them myself. Plus its more sensible to buy a $25/mo reseller plan from a reputable host than multiple $5/mo plans from jo's hosting.

When I started doing hosting as a business, I moved to a dedicated server. I dont see any reason why someone couldn't start a business on a reseller account, but in my opinion, if you're going to do this sort of thing as a business the added cost of a dedicated server isn't an unreasonable investment given the added growth potential.

Your right i am mainly interested in if people use them as a hobby! I have just started renting from web hosts, and find it very time consuming, but at the same time i am enjoying the new world i have found.

I think it's a fair mix, and depends on who you market to and how you market them.

If you call them Multi-Domain packages, your looking for hobby sites, if you call them Reseller packages, then your looking for businesses.

If you call them Multi-Domain Reseller packages, you just want everyone, and stop being so greedy! LOL
    Jacob - WebOnce Technologies - 30 Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - Over 5 Years Going Strong!
    Website Hosting, PHP4&5, RoR, MySQL 5.0, Reseller Hosting, Development, and Designs
    Powered By JAM - Professional Website Development - PHP, MySQL, JavaScript, AJAX - Projects Small & Large

My observation is that people usually sell hosting (through reseller accounts) to augment their existing web-related business. This could easily be seen as being something between a "hobby" and their primary business.

Roj
    Web Hosting? Been there. Done that.
    I am niyogi.

Re: Maaking Money or a Hobby

Originally posted by teepeg
    Hi,
    I was wondering if you use the reseller accounts to make a buisness or just to do this as a hobby, as i can't see lots of money been made using it as a buisness.

If you can convert your hobby to passion you can make a lot of money, there are so many example that so many people have turned their hobbies with special talents to cash-generating business.

It can also possible with a reseller accounts to make a business, depends upon different factors and skills which you have to adopt.

etechsupport2:

Most people are passionate about their hobbies - that's why they're called "hobbies"!

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=hobby

:-D

Roj
    I am niyogi.

niyogi:

Here actually I mean that one should put interest pursued inside also as well as outside one’s regular occupation and engaged in primarily for pleasure. It requires special talents to convert it into a business or a profession.

Passion with positive excitement in right direction is going to work here.
    Last edited by etechsupport2; 06-06-2005 at 11:31 AM.

Re: Maaking Money or a Hobby

Originally posted by teepeg
    Hi,
    I'd be interested in hearing why you think money can't be made.

Re: Re: Maaking Money or a Hobby

Originally posted by inogenius
    I'd be interested in hearing why you think money can't be made.
    I said lots, I didn't say money can't be made. The reason why i say this is that there are so many on the market. If there was lots of money to be made why do Web Hosts them selves lease reselling accounts.

Reselling is used by many to augment their primary strengths (web design, search engine optimization, online marketing, etc). As such, plenty of money may not necessarily be made but enough to justify it as being significant and viable!

Roj
    I am niyogi.

i believe anyone selling regular hosting plans might as well (for the same effort) sell reseller plans and sell 10 times more service to each hard-earned client thus making more bang-per-buck on each dollar spent in PPC (both hosting clicks and reseller hosting clicks are almost the same bid)

Also in regards to tech support:

why handle a few hundred 1 MB'ers and provide support etc if you can handle a few hundred 10 GB'ers for the same amount of tech support

I make some money...

IMO, it's all about finding niche markets.