longest duration with a single host?

Has anyone been with their hosting company for more than 2 years?

It seems most of the reviews are posted by people who have been with a host for 2weeks (to me this is a useless review) to 8 months.

There are many hosting services that come and go. So you are right, many reviews are for hosting services that are short term.

This does not mean that it is useless. Only time will tell about how well a business will do.

I would say a good 90%+ actually survive for a year. - IMHO

well it's not a reseller but I've got a shared hosting account with lunar

just payed for my 3rd year.

but that's shared

I guess for reselling, people tend to just ships more often.
    I've only been doing reselling for a few months
    and I've already tried 2

Find a good reseller you can stay with them for years.

People tend to go for the cheapest with with most space and bandwidth and jump around alot until they find a decent host and realize you can't get a full servers resources for $4.95 a month.

Originally posted by Gold1234
    This does not mean that it is useless. Only time will tell about how well a business will do.
    This statement seems contradictory. If time can only tell how well a business will do, wouldn't you agree that a 2 week review of a host is useless?

I personally think users should only give a positive review of a host provider if they have stayed with them for at least one year. Anything shorter than a year is still highly questionable.
    IceStorm.com - Top Provider of Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, and Cloud VPS Plans.
    Why IceStorm? Two Words: Proven Reliability.

Anything shorter than a year is still highly questionable.
    Actually things are not so black and white. How about 11 months of experience with the host? Is such a review still questionable? Does 1 month suddely transform it from "highly questionable" into "not so highly questionable"?

IMO all reviews have a weight, and, true, the longer the experience the more weight. However, it is up to each reader to evaluate/estimate how much credibility/importance each review has.

Re: longest duration with a single host?

Originally posted by esa3
    It seems most of the reviews are posted by people who have been with a host for 2weeks (to me this is a useless review) to 8 months.
    Very true - perhaps this is something sort of like ADD in the hosting world? The "honeymoon" should be more like a partnership IMHO. Otherwise, you'll go elsewhere and have to fight for the attention of your provider once again. ;-)

Roj
    Web Hosting? Been there. Done that.
    I am niyogi.

I was with Jaguar PC for my first 2-3 years of hosting. I thought they were a great company but I outgrew them for the price I wanted to pay for the amount of space/bandwidth I needed. I had also hit the 5 domain limit on my account.

Had they had a better/different reseller setup I would have probably stayed with Jaguar PC.

Originally posted by ldcdc
    IMO all reviews have a weight, and, true, the longer the experience the more weight. However, it is up to each reader to evaluate/estimate how much credibility/importance each review has.
    Also a two week review or signup could get weight, if the reviewer has outlined how s/he selected the host and what all went during the initial couple of week, also what was the priority for the reviewer during that time.

I remember my first review that I wrote about sonataweb after 2-3 weeks of signing with them... the focus at that time was different. Now I have completed almost eight months with them, now my focus of review would be different, may just one line "I am satisfied and happy with them, as there are no issues, everything going smooth.." hmm what else I could write...

So initial couple of months are critical as one would be depending a lot on host to settle down, therefore the reviews should highlight how the host is resolving initial newbie questions & issues... and over helping the customer.. later its more about running a tight show with near 100% server uptime, keeping the server load within limits, ensuring security of server and so on..
    <<snipped>><<snipped>>
    why?

You said it true NeoGen. The amount of info present in the review is a very important factor. As for being with a host for a long time... It is indeed tought to remember details after 1 year or so, and when things run smoothly, there's virtually nothing to tell.

This is our 3rd year with Vortechhosting.com and they are No.1 when it comes to HSPHERE CLUSTER !

Kepp it going Brad !

I was with mchost for 3 years and nine months. I just left them 2 months ago.I dont know any of reseller here in WHT stays that longer with any company.Anyone?
    I would really love to know.

Cheers
    "life is like a mail
    sometimes u just dont get it"

I was at Bitestreamhosting for 2 years.Then the company was sold and everything was wrong - no support, downtime,... I had a reseller account. I would stay with the host longer when their service is OK. Now I'm at ResellerZoom.com.

I've been with Idologic.com for about a year, no complaints whatsoever.

I am not at my office now but I guess I am with HTTPME for almost 3 years.

Will post tomorrow confirming this

Hmm, let's see... 1997 to 2003 with Web2010/Hostcentric - six years and never a serious issue. Left because their packages just don't reflect the times.

Jon - PPH writes "their packages just don't reflect the times."

That is one reason many times I don't even bother looking at some of the hosts that have been around a long time, they have staled in their offerings compared to the newer hosts, it's like they think nothing has changed, a 20mb package for $20 a month, c'mon.

I just sent my 3rd annual payment to PerfectHost, and over 2 years at AlphaOmegaHosting.

Originally posted by LightWeb
    Jon - PPH writes "their packages just don't reflect the times."

That is one reason many times I don't even bother looking at some of the hosts that have been around a long time, they have staled in their offerings compared to the newer hosts, it's like they think nothing has changed, a 20mb package for $20 a month, c'mon.

Every wondered why those older host are still around after all these years? Guess it all depends if you like host jumping or not.

I can confirm that have been with www.httpme.com for 2.5 years on server Mercury

This is the uptime:
    http://uptime.alertra.com/uptime2?id2=1111&id1=110973

Originally posted by bart_arg
    I can confirm that have been with www.httpme.com for 2.5 years on server Mercury

This is the uptime:
    http://uptime.alertra.com/uptime2?id2=1111&id1=110973
    Gotta send a little love Steven's way, 100% uptime for the year 2005 is pretty impressive. Nice job guys.

This post made my realize that I'm in my 5th year with Crystaltech.com - a couple bumps along the way of course but for the most part great service.
    George Marchewa
    Tutshi Web Solutions - www.tutshi.com
    local: 867.333.3672 fax: 514.371.8762

Originally posted by webrajesh
    This is our 3rd year with Vortechhosting.com and they are No.1 when it comes to HSPHERE CLUSTER !

Kepp it going Brad !
    Thanks webrajesh, that means a lot to me. Not sure who you are by the user name here, but still thanks.

Originally posted by Techark
    Every wondered why those older host are still around after all these years? Guess it all depends if you like host jumping or not.
    I also don't buy domains from Network Solutions for the same reason. They may be good, but who cares? Many newer, better registrars exist today. Oh, and did I say cheaper?

I am with Qualserv Networks (previously known as MasterSites) for slightly more than 2 years. They don't get much mention here, but I am very happy with them and their services.

I've been with www.techark.com - http://www.resellershosting.net/ for a good 4-5 years now. I don't even bother thinking about moving off them now, hosting service has been reliable, personal service fantastic. I'm normally someone who moves around just looking to get something better (not necessarily cheaper), for example I am considering changing my ISP after 9 months. But on the hosting side, got no reasons to move, and a lot to stay.

5 years, although a change in ownership occured 3 times.