* Final Windows 2000 security update may be released next week in a bundle of updates..

...which will replace SP5.

Sell Longhorn or force XP upgrade.
    Especially since they are releasing Eiger trying to get people with older machines to run a crappy stripped down version of XP. I wonder if eventually a 3rd party will begin coming out w/updates for 2000 and 98se to keep them going...

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

I wonder if eventually a 3rd party will begin coming out w/updates for 2000 and 98se to keep them going
    I don't see how this is possible, since Windows is closed source. Looks like time to upgrade ....

to Linux
    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.
    If you feel like it, you can read my blog
    Signal > Noise

I read somewhere that theres a unofficial update thing for XP. Ill have to find a link..

I really hope they dont stop patching win2k, I like it much more than XP. I'd rather use linux and give up afew programs here and there than switch to XP.

win2k rules Been using it since 2000 and never looked back or forward for that matter hehe..
    * Losers make excuses - winners make it happen *
    The only way to discover the limits of the possibilities is to go beyond them into the impossible.

I think 98se and 2000 are the best OS's out there actually......

Ah well

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

Originally posted by EH-Stevo
    I read somewhere that theres a unofficial update thing for XP. Ill have to find a link..
    http://www.autopatcher.com/ Not a bad little program.

I don't like the idea of these "roll-up" releases because they make it very difficult to slipstream an install CD for large environments. Usually one must create a CD (or image) with SP4 pre-loaded, install the OS, then apply the "roll-up" plus all hotfixes released past that point. It adds unnecessary time to the machine (re)load.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

In all fairness to MS, 2000 professional was replaced by XP in their lineup over 3.5 years ago. Microsoft currently supports products for 5 years after release. Large clients can get an additional 5 years of support. Most software vendors are similar, everyone cuts off earlier versions at some point.
    Do I like being forced to buy new versions of products? NO. But that's the way it is.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

i have recently upgraded from win2000 pro to win xp64 pro cus of this. win2000 will have extended support till 2010

Extended Support Retired 30-Jun-2010

Extended support will be available to all customers*. Extended support includes paid support (support that is charged on an hourly basis or per incident), security update support at no additional cost, and paid hotfix support. To receive hotfix support, an extended hotfix support contract must be purchased within the first 90 days following the end of the mainstream support phase. Microsoft will not accept requests for warranty support, design changes, or new features during the extended phase.

* Extended support is not offered for Consumer, Hardware, Multimedia, or Business Solutions products.
    http://www.goodridgeelec.com
    Electrical Contractors, West Midlands, UK

Originally posted by The Dude
    I think 98se and 2000 are the best OS's out there actually......

Ah well
    2000 was the best OS I've run in the last 8 12 years using PC's. 98 was a little buggy without getting into any of the ME flame wars. ME was the worst.

2000 is stable as hell (was atlest for me). I think the source code was leaked into the internet....
    ^_^

How exciting.

Originally posted by Francisco
    2000 was the best OS I've run in the last 8 12 years using PC's. 98 was a little buggy without getting into any of the ME flame wars. ME was the worst.

2000 is stable as hell (was atlest for me). I think the source code was leaked into the internet....
    For me, i say that windows 98 was the best, i dont know if you think the second edition was the best or not, i had windows me on a 750mhz amd and it ran faster then xp, i upgraded to xp and it slowed the hell down, i have never used win 2000, however i have used windows server editions, for now i switched it to linux the only thing that was faster

My vote also goes to windows 2000. Windows 2000 was very stable operating system and it works very fast on my celeron 1gh system with 128mb ram. It does all things for me which I do on windows xp machine. I think upgrade was never an requirement but since xp comes preloaded I started using it. I don't know what they did with windows xp and made it very resource consuming software.
    CPHosting - Web Hosting Experts Since 1998.
    United States | Europe | Singapore | Australia
    Visit Us! www.cphosting.com