Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    4,861

    Which computer should I get?

    I'm buying my mother a new computer for her business because her current one is extremely old and about to kick the bucket any second. It even smells like smoke after it runs for 5 minutes and makes all sorts of interesting noises, it's almost 10 years old. I cannot belive she was using it in her office for her business. I just basically need the cheapest most basic NEW computer so her data is safe. It MUST be under $400... both the below two computers fall in that category. Which the the two below computers would you get? I know both are ick but it is plenty good enough for her needs.

    Interested in the $349 one...
    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...=04&l=en&s=bsd

    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1109937802285

    No monitor is needed, tower only. Please do NOT suggest me to build my own computer.

    Last edited by Frosty; 06-03-2005 at 06:55 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    South Daytona, FL
    Posts
    2,476
    I'm not a fan of using consumer class machines for a business workstation, but that said out of the two choices you give I would choose the Dell. E-Machines are junk, they stunk even before Gateway bought them and as impossible as it may seem are now worse.

    I have a client that uses a bunch of these, just a little over your budget. http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...=04&l=en&s=bsd
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,750
    Please do NOT suggest me to build my own computer.
    Its pretty easy,personalised and cost effective.

    I hate both eMachines and Dell, i think a better choice would be to pick up a second hand one locally? what do you think youd get more for your buck that way.
    If i had to choose one id say the dell.
    Regards

  4. #4

    Re: Which computer should I get?

    Originally posted by Frosty
    I'm buying my mother a new computer for her business because her current one is extremely old and about to kick the bucket any second. It even smells like smoke after it runs for 5 minutes and makes all sorts of interesting noises, it's almost 10 years old. I cannot belive she was using it in her office for her business. I just basically need the cheapest most basic NEW computer so her data is safe. It MUST be under $400... both the below two computers fall in that category. Which the the two below computers would you get? I know both are ick but it is plenty good enough for her needs.

    Interested in the $349 one...
    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...=04&l=en&s=bsd

    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1109937802285

    No monitor is needed, tower only. Please do NOT suggest me to build my own computer.

    For a decent cheap box, that Dell is not bad. My wife had one of the 3000's, and it is great for all around general use.
    Don't you walk thru my words
    You got to show some respect
    Don't you walk thru my words
    'Cause you ain't heard me out yet

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,441
    Dell is generally better, AND has a free 15" flatpanel.. can't beat it.

  6. #6
    Originally posted by trau
    I'm not a fan of using consumer class machines for a business workstation, but that said out of the two choices you give I would choose the Dell. E-Machines are junk, they stunk even before Gateway bought them and as impossible as it may seem are now worse.

    I have a client that uses a bunch of these, just a little over your budget. http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...=04&l=en&s=bsd
    The Optiplex are indeed out of his budget, but a VERY nice machine. I outfitted a local office with all new Optiplexes. The work space is amazingly small, so those boxes without all of the fan noise were the best route. Hard to upgrade, specialized parts and all... but they ususally replace before the warranty is up anyhow.
    Don't you walk thru my words
    You got to show some respect
    Don't you walk thru my words
    'Cause you ain't heard me out yet

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,750
    Originally posted by DanX
    Dell is generally better, AND has a free 15" flatpanel.. can't beat it.
    Besides the fact they use the most low grade of parts, Un-upgradable or rather a pain to do so. Assembled by ordinary folk not professionals
    Regards

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,305
    And still better, I'd go for the Dell. (Of course, we still have to wait for that crazy AMD fanboy)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Goleta, CA
    Posts
    5,550
    Get the dell since you won't build your own.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,139
    Originally posted by Aea
    And still better, I'd go for the Dell. (Of course, we still have to wait for that crazy AMD fanboy)
    1nt3l 5ux0Rz. AmD pwN3s. <-- it took me forever to type...

    Anyway, I'd have to agree with Aea here. Go dell if you're not going to build your own. I've seen nothing but hardware problems with eMachines.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Boise, ID U.S.A.
    Posts
    3,503
    I think shipping is going to eat up your cost savings with the Dell. If there is a good, reputable, local shop, you would be best having a basic machine built and serviced by them.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    4,861
    I see, thanks for the help :)

    Looks like the Dell won. Plus that dell has a pentium 4 at least and the emachine a celeron. I'll go ahead and order that cheap dell in that case. I just want a new machine, the computer my mother is using right now for her business where she keeps very important data is seriously a goner. So that dell well be a HUGE improvement.

    But I HATE HATE HATE dell LCD's. Dell can keep it. They are junk (I just know someone is going to post claiming they own one and disagree). I love my samsung LCD, the image and picture quality is excellent and super sharp. You can't even compare it with a dell LCD.

    EDIT: I don't have the motivation to start searching around to have a PC built. I'm feeling lazy. I just want to order it and get this over with :)

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    South Daytona, FL
    Posts
    2,476
    Just remember the LCD's they give away are low end garbage. Dell also sells higher end LCD's that are pretty good. Just as with all things there's a wide range in quality with LCD's. The 3 and 5 megapixel screens (21" LCD) I setup for radiologists run between $10,000 - $15,000 each.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Goleta, CA
    Posts
    5,550
    I love my sony 17 " LCD I really do. I don't think i could live with a dell monitor now that I have this gem.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,750
    Originally posted by pixelized
    I love my sony 17 " LCD I really do. I don't think i could live with a dell monitor now that I have this gem.
    Could say the same here exept ive had my baby for 2 years now and still looking strong.
    Regards

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    4,861
    Shoot scratch my plan. That bloody dell deal wasn't really a deal afterall. Except for the free shipping!

    I just called to order it and let's see: It doesn't have a CD burner so I can't backup data (worthless), it doesn't have a floppy, it doesn't have speakers so I will never get sound, it doesn't have a modem and only a 90 day warrenty. In order to add those basics my $349 PC was suddenly over $600 bucks after all the rebates and no warrenty!

    No thank you. I think I'll pass.

    Maybe the more highend dell lcd's are good but I tried two different ones and I was not impressed. Maybe the most expensive one is a winner. Don't know.

    EDIT: sony was a good lcd too. Million times better than dell.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Goleta, CA
    Posts
    5,550
    Floppy drives are obsolete. I don't think I've had one in my pc for over 4 years or whenever winxp came out because you don't need it.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    4,861
    My mother uses floppies and wants one. I just bought a new HP a couple of months ago and it has winxp and a floppy. Not that I ever use floppies. They are worthless to me.

  19. #19
    Bummer. I got the wife a CD/RW and a DVD ROM, 80GB HDD, speakers, keyboard, monitor, mouse, all shipped for just about $500, and a free printer.

    I got that through the mag that they sent, then went online and ordered it.

    The key, I think, is to wath the sales codes. The do change from day to day


    Originally posted by Frosty
    Shoot scratch my plan. That bloody dell deal wasn't really a deal afterall. Except for the free shipping!

    I just called to order it and let's see: It doesn't have a CD burner so I can't backup data (worthless), it doesn't have a floppy, it doesn't have speakers so I will never get sound, it doesn't have a modem and only a 90 day warrenty. In order to add those basics my $349 PC was suddenly over $600 bucks after all the rebates and no warrenty!

    No thank you. I think I'll pass.

    Maybe the more highend dell lcd's are good but I tried two different ones and I was not impressed. Maybe the most expensive one is a winner. Don't know.

    EDIT: sony was a good lcd too. Million times better than dell.
    Don't you walk thru my words
    You got to show some respect
    Don't you walk thru my words
    'Cause you ain't heard me out yet

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    South Daytona, FL
    Posts
    2,476
    You could try an HP Pavillion A1030E, they start at $400.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    4,861
    I see, yeah I noticed dell has good deals every now and then. Maybe I'll call them back tomorrow and pretend to know about a deal I saw in a mag and trick them into giving it to me :)

    All the computer stores around here are all small mama papa shops. They look dingy, don't trust them.

    Or I'll get an HP... even though I don't like how the tower looks on that $400 cheaper HP. I like the grey tower they have on the more expensive HP model. It matches the other HP my mother owns. Ah well.
    Last edited by Frosty; 06-03-2005 at 10:55 PM.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    South Daytona, FL
    Posts
    2,476
    Or lastly go to Wally world for $358

    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...41937%3A132982

    I'm sure its junk, but its got to be better than an e-machine (certainly can't be worse)
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    4,861
    Oh gosh buy a computer at walmart? :)

    What if the people around me see me buying a computer from walmart. I'd be so embarrassed I'd have to wear a mask.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Goleta, CA
    Posts
    5,550
    Originally posted by Frosty
    Oh gosh buy a computer at walmart?

    What if the people around me see me buying a computer from walmart. I'd be so embarrassed I'd have to wear a mask.
    I'm sure walmart sells ski masks
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Online
    Posts
    1,543
    you should also be aware of that DELL is 100% more expensive to uprade than any other brand on the market. That's atleast what some research here in europe showed.
    * Losers make excuses - winners make it happen *
    The only way to discover the limits of the possibilities is to go beyond them into the impossible.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •