speed to US servers in comparison with UK servers

Hi, we have servers in the US with liquidweb and also Servermatrix and we also have a UK server with Rackspace. I have one client who has an 'expert' friend who has said that because his site is hosted in the US that it will seriously impact on the speed of access to the site with his clients mainly being in the UK. I was wondering how valid this is? I thought that we'd just be talking about milliseconds of difference which wouldn't really be noticable. Is that right?

Thanks

John

Maybe he is determining the speed on ping results. For web pages, it's hardly noticable; however, if it's gameservers, there may be a problem.
    Synergy Blue LLC
    SonataWeb.net | SynergyBlue.com
    USA should so something about: http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/

It really doesn't make a difference for web hosting as ping times don't exactly affect transfer rates. For streaming and gaming it does, however.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

It's not so much applicable anymore now people have faster connections, but you do notice it with slower ISDN and Dialup connections, as a web page loads on the princpal that it goes and grabs something then goes back for something else, and that extra latency between the server and end user makes all the difference, especially when a page contains multiple images.

Dan

Checking email on one of my European servers (33ms) is at times 4 times faster than checking it from a server we used to have in the US (Layeredtech 137ms). Web is also faster but not as noticeable.

We have 2Mb broadband here at the office and I often notice much closer connections transatlantic. Saying that it should be fine for web and email is still fine etc.

Stuart
    | BlueWave Communications Ltd - The Island's Communications Provider
    | URL: http://www.bwc.im/ AS: 201898
    | Jersey | Guernsey | Isle of Man

For general web browsing I notice the difference but that could be put down to the fact I'm doing it for hours per day and not your casual browser.

For email (pop3/smtp via email client), ftp and ssh traffic it is certainly noticable by a large degree.
    Clook Internet - www.clook.net
    Fully managed UK based webhosting provider
    Est 2002, 24/7 phone support, all the bells and whistles!

we use US hosting and we cant tell the difference with UK hosting For our website

As Jim_UK said there is a notable difference for web browsing allthough it isnt much, not enough to warrant worrying about anyway.

I do find ftp and SSH slower as well but still more than fast enough to work with.

Originally posted by elix
    It really doesn't make a difference for web hosting as ping times don't exactly affect transfer rates. For streaming and gaming it does, however.
    Actually, thats not as true as you think - I was in the middle east last summer with a VoIP phone that connected back to an * box in the US (200ms latency, end to end) and it sounded fine. Nobody knew I was abroad (unless they tried to call me at a weird hour and woke me up ). In addition, I've gotten video feeds from servers in the UK and farther and they seem to have been fine, with me being in the US (I confirmed the location via traceroute).
    Last edited by mripguru; 06-07-2005 at 09:25 PM.
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

Originally posted by jslivko
    Actually, thats not as true as you think - I was in the middle east last summer with a VoIP phone that connected back to an * box in the US (200ms latency, end to end) and it sounded fine. Nobody knew I was abroad (unless they tried to call me at a weird hour and woke me up ). In addition, I've gotten video feeds from servers in the UK and farther and they seem to have been fine, with me being in the US (I confirmed the location via traceroute).
    Interesting... I know for a fact that it matters for gaming, however.

--GSV
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Originally posted by elix
    Interesting... I know for a fact that it matters for gaming, however.

--GSV
    That's a given
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!