Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The planet dual xeons

I was looking at thye planet's hosting plans and they only have xeons going up to 2.8Ghz why not 3.2 or even 3.4?

Also - thyey only offer RHES don't they so I'm screwed if I want a 2.6 kernel unless I package a new one myself.

Can anybody suggest any rock solid hosts that provide big dual xeons (or opterons) and fefdora core?

You may wanna try Ev1servers.net there pretty good

You may wanna try Ev1servers.net there pretty good
    I'm trying to get away from those clowns

Well you can try hostdime.com they have excellent support but there best server they offer is 2.4 dual xeon or maybe you wanna try servermatrix.com

Originally posted by Anthonizzle
    Well you can try hostdime.com they have excellent support but there best server they offer is 2.4 dual xeon or maybe you wanna try servermatrix.com
    SM is ThePlanet so naturally they would have the same issue outlined in the thread starter's post.

I don't think there is *that* much of a performance different between 2.8 and 3.X. I would say it's mainly the cache that makes a different.

--GSV
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

I don't think there is *that* much of a performance different between 2.8 and 3.X. I would say it's mainly the cache that makes a different.
    I think you are probably right although we are on to 3.4 Xeons now - buying a 2.8 just seems wrong.

Originally posted by DaveC#
    I think you are probably right although we are on to 3.4 Xeons now - buying a 2.8 just seems wrong.
    I don't actually know of many people who use 3.4s at this moment. EV1Servers does offer 3.4s but apparently you said they are clowns

http://fastservers.net/products-serv...y-servers.html

If you look on the bottom of that page, they offer 3.6s

--GSV
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Originally posted by elix
    I don't actually know of many people who use 3.4s at this moment. EV1Servers does offer 3.4s but apparently you said they are clowns

http://fastservers.net/products-serv...y-servers.html

If you look on the bottom of that page, they offer 3.6s

--GSV
    Intresting - the package from fastservers comes out at $708 a month

Re: The planet dual xeons

I was looking at thye planet's hosting plans and they only have xeons going up to 2.8Ghz why not 3.2 or even 3.4?

Also - thyey only offer RHES don't they so I'm screwed if I want a 2.6 kernel unless I package a new one myself.

Can anybody suggest any rock solid hosts that provide big dual xeons (or opterons) and fefdora core?
    Actually RHEL4 ships with 2.6
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

2.8 vs. 3.4 - the difference is rather slight, that it really doesn't matter.

However, I'd go Opteron, anyways.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

Actually RHEL4 ships with 2.6
    Good point but it isn't out yet is it? It's out soon I think?

2.8 vs. 3.4 - the difference is rather slight, that it really doesn't matter.
    However, I'd go Opteron, anyways.
    There doesn't seem to be that many opteron hosts is there?

Good point but it isn't out yet is it? It's out soon I think?
    Yes, The Planet offers it standard (or at least as a free option).

There doesn't seem to be that many opteron hosts is there?
    You'd be surprised.

where from you buy last ?

I have been with EV1 for years but have had enough

DaveC#,

I believe www.fastservers.net has Opterons, as well as www.liquidweb.com and GNAX

--GSV

DaveC#,

I believe www.fastservers.net has Opterons, as well as www.liquidweb.com and GNAX

--GSV
    Elix,
    Actually - they used to have Opterons at FastServers, but I think they pulled those off the shelf due to the fact that they're now in a sweetheart deal with Dell.

DaveC#,

--GSV
    Thx Elix - liquidweb looks good - for $500 I can have a dual opteron, 4GB of ram and RAID.

Looks attractive, it's going to be them or buy some kit anc colo in the UK but I'm not sure if colo is worth the effort.

Thx Elix - liquidweb looks good - for $500 I can have a dual opteron, 4GB of ram and RAID.

Looks attractive, it's going to be them or buy some kit anc colo in the UK but I'm not sure if colo is worth the effort.
    Actually, it might be even less if they still have their double your RAM for free offer going . Check the Advertising Forums @ WHT for details.

Originally posted by jslivko
    Actually, it might be even less if they still have their double your RAM for free offer going . Check the Advertising Forums @ WHT for details.
    I bet that will certainly sweeten the deal. Not to mention:
    * 2 Hour Hardware Replacement SLA
    * 100% Network Uptime SLA
    * Fully Managed Services

Enjoy your new server, if you go for LiquidWeb. I don't think colo would be worth it for just one server. Of course, if you had 15+ servers then it would be a wise choice.

--GSV

Elix,
    Actually - they used to have Opterons at FastServers, but I think they pulled those off the shelf due to the fact that they're now in a sweetheart deal with Dell.
    Give me an Opteron over a Xeon any ole day of the week!
    Greg Landis | Director of Growth Jaguarpc - Unlock Superior Hosting with JaguarPC
    Managed Servers - Virtual Private Servers | AMD EPYC Dedicated servers
    Follow us @ Facebook.com/Jaguarpc | (888)-338-5261 | greg @ jaguarpc.com

Originally posted by Jag
    Give me an Opteron over a Xeon any ole day of the week!
    Indeed. Opterons 'own' Xeons =)

--GSV

Do liqquidweb provide nameservers or do I have to run my own?

Do liqquidweb provide nameservers or do I have to run my own?
    Either or, your choice.

Either or, your choice.
    I would personally pick up 2 small VPSs and run my own

--GSV

Does anyone know if they will let me set up zone files prior to switch nameservers?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast