Question Transferring domains to 1and1.com

I am trying to transfer a domain from an ISP in Europe to 1and1.com and they are making it sooooo hard. They ask me to get an authorization code from the current domain registrar, but that registrar does not know anything about an authorization code.

Anyone knows how I could go about transferring a domain name without an authorization code? Or how I could find such a code?
    I tried emailing and calling 1and1.com support, but they simply reply with irrelevant answers or by pasting sections of the FAQ from their website.

Thanks,
    FriendlyGirl

I must say this is the first time I have read on this forum someone wanting to transfer there domain TO 1and1.com

If they are requesting an authorization code then it is probably something they have to have. If you login to your other domain registrar there should be an authorization code found there.
    Greg Lubbelinkhof

Well, I have hosted my website with them for over a year...and never ran into any problems. This is the first time I am trying to do something like this.

We couldn't find an authorization code when we logged into the other domain registrar.

is it a .uk domain? If so you get a letter with a code on it...it may be that. I've never transfered a domain to one and one, only registered with them, sorry.
    Web Handyman - Website and Internet Marketing Service

Hello,

Some regitrars require the authorization code before they will initiate a transfer. Your current registrar has to have this code, if they do not find out who the parent registrar is and enquire what the auth code is.
    Brandon L
    *DedicatedSpace.com - JaguarPC.com
    * Quality web hosting since '98
    Call 800-558-5869 or Email sales@jaguarpc.com

affordahost,

There is no Authorization Code for .uk domain names.

friendlygirl,

There is no need to post the same thread twice. Please state what is the domain name extension and where it is currently registered at, so we can try to help you out.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

friendygirl,

If I may suggest, do not do that. I have had the worst experience about my *.com domain hosted with 1&1 (I have lost it, or more precisely, it was hijacked with 1&1's great contribution) so stay away from them. There are many right choices for you, why do not you try something else?

Or, if you do not believe me, simply use a search function and explore this forum about the 1&1 and look at experience that other people had with them.
    Last edited by Fulk; 06-03-2005 at 01:26 PM.

If you want to transfer a .org/.info/.biz domain to another registrar, you do need the Authorization Code. But there's no Authorization Code for .com and .net domains.

The ISP in Europe must have it, they should give it to you. I know some registrars make it so hard to get the authorization code. They simply don't want you to transfer domains out, I think.
    HostingSearch.org
    www.hostingsearch.org
    Compare Top Web Hosting Plans
    Find The Lowest Domain Prices

Originally posted by gtahosting
    The ISP in Europe must have it, they should give it to you. I know some registrars make it so hard to get the authorization code. They simply don't want you to transfer domains out, I think.
    ...and a perfect example for that is exactly 1&1!

Warms my heart to hear someone has been with 1&1 so long without problems...
    Web Hosting Reviews — based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic