plz help, i not sure about these terms and if im gonna make a mistake

hi, hello

sorry if this question has been asked, but i DID search around alot and didn't actually get an answer. i'm extremely new to all of this, so i really need some help...

so, i want to registrar a few domains and contract a webhosting service for my site. i was looking around at bluehost (i know many here don't really recommend them, dont want to get into that, haha.)..

so they state i get a free domain name, as well as 5 add-on domains and 20 parked domains. they also state they support international domains.

so what i specifically was looking for and NOT SURE if this webhosting company will provide, is the following:

domain names:

xxxmusic.com
    xxxmusic.com.br (international - brazil)

xxxmusica.com
    xxxmusica.com.br

basically that. so i can corner people actually typing in the site wrong, and they are led to the correct place. because the word MUSIC and MUSICA may cause some confusion. (its for my band, and i'm going to be advertising in the american and european markets as well as here in brazil.)

so, will bluehost do this for me?
    they say the domain registration is free and included... and also the add ons and parked domains. does the example i stated classify as parked or add ons?

and last question: if i choose to one day change servers... will i still have that domain, or will they keep it for themselves, stating that it was free anyway for me, and that they have the rights.

ok guys, sorry if i rambeld, or even explained things TOO much, but i really need help

thanks again

So we are talking about bluehost.COM right...

From the looks of it, they will give you 1 free domain name (with paid hosting account I'm sure), and ALLOW 5 Add-Ons and 20 Parked domains... It doesn't appear as if yhey are going to pay for them if that's what you're asking.

Or are you ask what's an add-on domain -- it's a subdomain. See: http://helpdesk.bluehost.com/kb/inde...d=128&kbcat=15
    And a parked domain is going to sit one on top of the other... aaa.com is the same website as aaa.net. Where add-ons have separate content entirely.

As for them keeping the domain, it's going to depend on the agreement with them, and how they register it. If you allow them to put it in their name, they basically have total control over it. Some will charge outrageous fees for you to get your domain from them. It depends on the host. Search here on WHT to see if there are any threads about them. Actually - do that for ANY webhost you're considering!!!

The Terms of Service is in the help section TOS Link And states:
    If you terminate your contract prior to its term, you may be disqualified from the free domain registration promotion.
    One last edit... to get the free domain it appears it needs to be a "qualified" plan... Those appear to be 12 or 24 months (7.95mo or 6.95/mo respectively).

Did that help?
    Last edited by Lagniappe-labgeek; 06-03-2005 at 03:09 PM.

yes, that DID help!
    i understand now the difference between parked and addon domains.

well, bluehost.com (yes) SAY they support international domains, but when i went to mock registrar a name to test it out... they only gave me .com, .net, .org, .biz, .info, .us.

for a "primary" domain, i cannot choose .br. do you think they will allow me to use .br as a parked domain?

there's no way of me knowing this until i actually give them credit card info and commit.

but i cannot have them OWNING my domain. thats probably the catch when these webhosting companies say: free domain! free setup!

am i right?

From what I can gather, it doesn't appear as if they can register a com.br name. It appears that registro.br is the ONLY registrar??? http://www.v-brazil.com/science/domains.html Just because they support it, doesn't mean they can register them... They might just be able to host them.

You could take the .com version, and then park the com.br and others on top of it.

As for it being registered in their name, you'd need to ask them or find someone who's actually used them that way before. They SHOULDN'T register it in anyone's name but yours. That doesn't mean all hosts will do that though.

yeah.
    the reason i was inclined to choose bluehost was because of all the features they offer. messageboard, streaming audio being the main points. as well, of course, as the huge disk and transfer space.

i've been told here at WHT that they are most likely overselling, which sucks, yes.

since you're here man, do you have any recommendations for me?

i want to put my music projects site up, where people can streaming audio clips, and then buy the record. (so a shopping cart option is great). i suspect bluehost just listed a whole bunch of features that are actually common to webhosting companies, but they glorify it making it pretty.

again, ive no experience!! haha

Originally posted by Fetusborg
    am i right?
    Yes, you are. Hosting companies want to "give" you a "free" domain so that they have a "hook" into you.

What if you find out after two months that their service is awful. You're stuck! They own your primary domain!

Better off if you go to anyone of the more reliable registrars like www.NameCheap.com , RegisterFly.com , DomainSite.com , or even www.GoDaddy.com and have the domains registered in YOUR name and under YOUR control. Then, if you have to move hosts you can do so with just a change of the NameServers (easy to do by yourself).

You might even look into using the registrars redirection or forwarding service for your extra domains. For example, if someone types in xxxmusica.com they will be automatically directed to xxxmusic.com.

I have a tenant who is doing quite well with her band site www.SavageCity.info . On the website, the band (called Savage City) has samples of their songs, sell their own CDs and have a schedule of their upcoming live performances in Southern California. You might check it out for some ideas.

Good Luck with your venture.
    You may delay, but time will not. --- Benjamin Franklin

cool.
    yeah, that was the idea. to redirect everyone to one main site. and then have the option to choose the site in english or in portuguese.

i checked out the site... it was funny, haha. weird looking band. but on the site they dont stream audio, only download.

so i noticed a loophole...
    you can REGISTER 1 domain... and park a bunch of others... or as many as your webhost allows... without having to register them?

so if they are not registered... someone can actually steal my parked domain, such as:

primary - xxxmusica.com
    parked - xxxmusica.com.br

and get away with it ?

Doesn't work that way... You have to register the name for them to work at all. Just because you put them into the local nameserver by telling your host I have xyz.com parked here, the root (master) nameservers don't know to send the request for xyz.com to the local nameservers. The only want to get the root nameservers to know about them is to register them... Root nameservers are controlled by the registrar themselves -- the people running com.br for example.

ah, i see.
    so i'm gonna forget this FREE DOMAIN malarky, cause its probably all crap. and i'm gonna register proper like.

now i have to decide whether i register a .com.br or a .com one.