What do you guys do with the Extra IPs

Hi...

I am going to buy a VPS plan and I am getting 6 IP addresses with that plan.

I know I will use 2 of the IPs for the DNS, ns1.mydomain.com, ns2.mydomain.com, What do I do with the rest?

I was just wondering (and curious) what you guys are doing with your extra IPs?

and, What else (usefully or for fun) I can do with this extra IPs?
    I am in the learning curve, I want to try all the usages of an IP address. Your Tips and guidance in this regard much appreciated.

Thanks

Peter
    Last edited by Peter65; 06-03-2005 at 02:00 AM.
    Peter65
    Today's Newbie
    Future's Webguru

Normally the extra IP's are used for resellers you might host or you can set them up for SSL's. Thats the best (correct) usage for IP's

Rgds

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

required if you want to run more than one anon FTP site.

1 - main site
    1 - ssl site
    1 - anonymous ftp
    2 - dns
    1 - other users sites (provides some ip isolation from your main site)

Just one possible scheme, as indicated there are others; though with both dns and the site(s) all on one machine I don't see the point of using two for dns as if the machine goes down you'll lose both anyway as well as the site.
    "Obsolesence is just a lack of imagination."

If you are selling web hosting you may want to reserve one IP for your main hosting site. This is because if you get DoSed and the data center null routes the main shared IP by all clients, your site will still be accessible. This is assuming your main site is hosted on the same VPS.

--GSV
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business