Ever seen a person weighing 618 grams?

Yes, I said 618 GRAMS.

My wife works in a Neonatal ICU with pre-mature babies and last night I was permitted to go on a tour of where she works. One of the babies I saw, was born 3 weeks ago at 23 weeks justation (17 week early) and currently weighs 618 grams.

To give you an idea of how small that is, hold out your hand (if you are an adult male) and measure from the tip of your middle finger to the center of your wrist. That was the measurement of the baby from the top of their head to the bottom of their torso (add about 3-4 inches more for their legs).

The skin on the baby was semi-translucent, so it was very easy to see their veins and some of their joints (for example their ankles) were not quite developed yet so the feet were a little floppy.

Now, while I have been hearing stories of my wife's work since she started working their 6 months ago, it is a completely different event to actually see it.

Just thought I share, as I was actually more emotionally touched than I thought I would be.
    SuperWebHost.com, a Digitally Justified Company
    Celebrating our 9th year in Business

Proudly Hosting with CANADIAN bandwidth
    Managed Hosting, Multi-Domain Hosting, Colocation, Merchant Accounts

Thats cute and disgusting at the very same time
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius

pre mature babies... I think that's one of the major things women dread the most, having defected babies.
    remy

I've seen them. My daugther was in a NICU for a week due to severe anemia at birth. She was 7 lbs at birth but looked like a pro wrestler compared to the rest there. My wife was nursing her one day while some of the docs and nurses were doing their turnover and talking about cases over the last 24 hours. Suddenly one of the nurses burst out: "Whoa!" A baby, only 1.5 lbs (about the same size) had scooted itself across the incubator and was reaching into the gloves that mom and dad would put their hands into so they could hold the baby. It blew them away that it had so much strength. Amazing also how much such immature babies seek out human touch at such a young age.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

Originally posted by JHosts
    Can a baby like that actually live?
    Surprisingly, some can. The majority that do live, generally have some sort of life long defect, but there are some cases where they simply grow up and are healthy.

How long does it take for extremely premature babies (IE 600-700 grams) to reach a normal newborns weight? The amount of weeks they're premature? More? Less?

Just curious,
    Chris

Originally posted by ichris
    How long does it take for extremely premature babies (IE 600-700 grams) to reach a normal newborns weight? The amount of weeks they're premature? More? Less?

Just curious,
    Chris
    It really depends on the case. Generally, in a good scenario, they would reach a healthy weight 3-4 weeks after their proper due date.

Pretty interesting, yet sad. Hopefully the baby will recover and live a full, healthy life.