Is this computer a good buy?

I'm looking to see if you guys think this is a really good deal on a Dell Dimension. I've been seriously considering building a computer (with the help of a friend), either that or just buying one from Dell. I don't think it would even come out to be too much cheaper if I built it, I would just have more freedom, and be more familiar with what's running in there (making it a bit easier to upgrade, etc).

Dimension 4700 Desktop: http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...=04&l=en&s=bsd

$519 after $100 MIR, assuming I don't upgrade anything. Oh, and it comes with a 19" flat panel monitor. If you're too lazy to look at the link, it features:

[list=1][*]P4 520 w/ HT-Technology (2.8 GHz, 800 FSB)[*]XP Home[*]256MB DDR2 SDRAM at 400MHz[*]40GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)[*]19" Flat Panel[*]Single 48X CD-ROM Drive[*]Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accel. 900[*]Integrated 5.1 Channel Audio[*]Keyboard, Mouse, Integrated Intel Pro 10/100 Ethernet[/list=1]

The deal seems amazing, with a few upgrades (memory to 512MB, HD to 80GB, Dual drives for DVD+/-RW w/ double layer support, ATI Radeon X300 SE) I came up with a final price of $748, after $100 MIR.

Is this a steal? I wouldn't be able to match this pricing if I built one, could I? If anyone can provide me any helpful info as to why this system wouldn't be as good as if I built one, please comment.. the price just seems to cancel out any advantages there are in building a PC. I mainly use my computer to surf the web, and use multiple programs at the same time (Photoshop, Macromedia products, etc), and I don't play games all too often. Right now I'm using a 2.5 year old Gateway P4 2.4, it's starting to show its age though..

Thanks,
    Dan

In my opinion no its a dell. They use the most low quality parts, there computers are assembled by people who arent professionals (trust i know someone who used to work there)
    With the monitor and all its a good buy you may have managed it with a custom build, But the hassle its not the best bargain but should be ok.
    Regards

If it wasent for the flat panel, itd be a scam. My buddy picked up a 2.8GHZ - 160GB HD - 512MB RAM Compaq for $500 on sale. Its a compaq but they needed one quick for a relative, so building wasent option.

Also upgrading to a good videocard is out of the question with their powersupplys, as they are special for them, and probably cant handle it. Meaning you have to rely on dell to get replacement powersupply thats powerful enough. Though there may be adapters? I dont know, but id rather not go through the headache.

Exactly what they said. You can't even upgrade the power supply in these things, because they are a special small size to fit in these tiny cases. So in order to upgrade your video card, you'd need to get a new case, power supply, and the video card.

Build a custom one from ncix.com - these prebuilt computers aren't worth it at all.
    Cody Watson
    Business Student @ SFU [Marketing, Entrepreneurship, Management & Technology, Co-op Certificate, Honours]

Originally posted by cwatson
    Exactly what they said. You can't even upgrade the power supply in these things, because they are a special small size to fit in these tiny cases. So in order to upgrade your video card, you'd need to get a new case, power supply, and the video card.

Build a custom one from ncix.com - these prebuilt computers aren't worth it at all.
    So true
    I love nice bulky cases plenty of room for updrades, Open a dell and you cant close it

Originally posted by Naz.A
    So true
    I love nice bulky cases plenty of room for updrades, Open a dell and you cant close it
    Hmm, point taken. I guess I will be building my own..

Is this NCIX site popular? I don't see why someone wouldn't just buy the parts individually themselves from Newegg and save some money..

Well some people have no skill at all (though its very simple), some people dont have the time (not long at all), and some people need one asap. And then some people dont care and get hit in the long run.

I dont live in the US but id just buy off Newegg they seem they best. Building is always the best, its what best for you kinda thing you might want a huge harddrive or a tiny harddrive etc etc.
    Regards
    -Naz

Im ordering off newegg soon, new HSF and artic silver, but im waiting for one of their shipping specials, dont want to pay 5 bucks to ship a small tube.

Dgessler - I tried to send you PM but your box is full.

That computer does not have a AGP slot.... and it only has a *few* PCI slot. and... it sucks so bad....

Didnt look at the computers page, but definently with no AGP...its a scam.

Maybe you shouldn't build a computer.... or atleast read up on the latest technology before you do. It doesn't have an agp slot because it has a pci-express 16x slot which is much better then agp....

Ah, yes maybe i should have looked at the link

But still, you can do better.

Avoid Dell.

Originally posted by cwatson

Umm, I've got a Dell Deminsion 4700 Check this thread that I got thru freedesktoppc.com

I added a NEC3500A DVDRW Drive (dual layer - black) & removed the nearly useless 48x cdrw drive. Added a nice ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon X600Pro. Works like a charm. I use it as my gaming machine, Unreal Tournament 2003/2004 & Guild Wars on a nice 21 inch Flat Screen CRT (HP monitor) @ 1600x1200 resolution.

If I game for more than 3-4 hours at a time, I notice the case is semi-hot near the video card, which will be recified when I "mod" the case and insall 2 80mm fans (above vid card, and near hard drive). Still need to add a 2nd sata hard drive for more space. But the machine works great. I've had zero issues with it.

And there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to replace a power supply in a normal dell deminsion machine. It's a standand size power supply. If you get something wacky with external fans, or such, you might have an issue. The older slimline tower/desktop or optiplex systems are a pain due to smaller sized cases. But the 4700 is fine.

I can take some pix of the box if needed when I get home from work.
    Happily hosting @ Dathorn.com (Since 3/2003), Ispeeds.net (Since 2004), & Quadspeedi.net (Since 7/2005)!
    Hosted @ FDC for 9 Years

RUN AWAY FROM DELL! Ive had nothing but problems with their crappy support, they dont speak english to the extent that I can understand it, except their sales of course. My laptops ac jack is broken and they want me to replace the whole motherboard.

Originally posted by Naz.A
    In my opinion no its a dell. They use the most low quality parts, there computers are assembled by people who arent professionals (trust i know someone who used to work there)
    With the monitor and all its a good buy you may have managed it with a custom build, But the hassle its not the best bargain but should be ok.
    Regards

Seems like a pretty good deal.. im sure you also get free shipping. I could purchase a better computer for a leser price from a local computer shop.. but all the Dell's I have bought I am quite happy with.

Knowing one person who worked with the "company" Dell, then saying everyone is unprofessional.. is not only judging a book by its cover, but is a quite uneducated statement.. can we generalize a bit more.. eh eh eh?
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / "Automate. Grow. Repeat"
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / A KEAP Certified Developer (KCD)

Originally posted by ChrisTech

And there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to replace a power supply in a normal dell deminsion machine. It's a standand size power supply. If you get something wacky with external fans, or such, you might have an issue. The older slimline tower/desktop or optiplex systems are a pain due to smaller sized cases. But the 4700 is fine.

I can take some pix of the box if needed when I get home from work.
    Do me a favour and measure the length of that power supply. In my HP, it is under 6 inches long. No PSU that I have found is under 6 inches. As well, how much wattage does your PSU have?
    Cody Watson
    Business Student @ SFU [Marketing, Entrepreneurship, Management & Technology, Co-op Certificate, Honours]

We have nothing but Dell's at work. If a PSU goes out, we can't just swap it with any brand. We need to have them send us a new one.

We haven't had many issues with our Dell's but the support leaves something to be desired. Their servers have been very good for us thus far though.

I'd custom build and get a Dell Flatpanel widescreen monitor for $400 after a $350 off coupon that circulates every month or so.

Originally posted by Eiolon
    We have nothing but Dell's at work. If a PSU goes out, we can't just swap it with any brand. We need to have them send us a new one.

We haven't had many issues with our Dell's but the support leaves something to be desired. Their servers have been very good for us thus far though.

I'd custom build and get a Dell Flatpanel widescreen monitor for $400 after a $350 off coupon that circulates every month or so.
    Support is bad anywhere you go. Everyone outsources to "you know where" and you are lucky to find someone whom you can even understand. Dell, HP, Compaq, Symantec, Gateway, ect.

Why don't you just catch a nice Dell Deal w/ a 19 inch LCD for around $500 for pc and all, then just resell the pc off. That alone will cover the cost for that LCD.
    Happily hosting @ Dathorn.com (Since 3/2003), Ispeeds.net (Since 2004), & Quadspeedi.net (Since 7/2005)!
    Hosted @ FDC for 9 Years