Thread: Online Radio

Online Radio

Just a few questions if anyone knows about it..

- How do royalties work? Say I have a CD and I play two tracks from it: can I, and who do I pay royalties to, if any? I haven't been able to find any good documentation.

- Should I just use ShoutCast?

- How do places like di.fm offer different bitrates? Can software cap it, or do they have multiple copies of each song?

- Where are good places to host audio streaming? I've been looking around but can't seem to find anywhere with an affordable pricing scheme that also supports it.. [I'll be paying out of my pocket for now]

- Should I just use ShoutCast?
    Yes.

- How do places like di.fm offer different bitrates? Can software cap it, or do they have multiple copies of each song?
    The normal shoutcast DNAS program that you run on windows is configured to stream at the bitrate you specify. I believe DI runs a program locally to pick up the highest bitrate stream, downsample it, and restream it to another server. There's a program out there called stream transcoder. It works pretty well if you can get it configured properly.

- Where are good places to host audio streaming? I've been looking around but can't seem to find anywhere with an affordable pricing scheme that also supports it.. [I'll be paying out of my pocket for now]
    You're probably going to need to buy a VPS, or a dedicated server if you plan on streaming to alot of people. I've seen a few shoutcast / ircd hosts out there who support it, but i'm not aware if any provide decent service.

Royalties.. You should ask a lawyer about that.

Thanks Mike.. I already know that I'll need a VPS or better, but was wondering if any hosts specialized in it.

While there are plenty of companies specialized in streaming, installing/running shoutcast is fairly easy for a mid-size radio stream.

Go to the Offers Section and see offers for 10Mbps unmetered. These days you can get them from anywhere from $80/month to $200/month.

You can indeed have multiple (dial-up and broadband streams) running on this server.