View Poll Results: How many of you had report fraud orders to FBI?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I do report each fraud order to FBI

5 9.80%
  • Yes I do report some fraud order to FBI

2 3.92%
  • No I do not report fraud order to FBI

30 58.82%
  • I don’t receive fraud orders at all.

14 27.45%

Question How many of you had report fraud orders to FBI?

I come a cross with a lot of charge backs and start wondering would we report it to FBI?
    I have a one links founded in order to report them.
    www.ifccfbi.gov
    We use for Fraud Prevention
    Two different software such as FraudGuardian and Varilogix. Two of them still is passing true fraud orders. We even were requesting a copy of Driver License and Credit card still it was fraud.
    The worst one I remember it was long time a go.
    The kid order from us a server Dual Xeon 3.06 Ghz 2x73 SCSI Raid 1, 50 MBps unlimited port.
    Well he places an order on his father, verify a phone call by Varilogix, and send a copy of CC and Driver License. One month later we got a charge back, his father was stating that he did not authorize charges; in a first place we did not know it was a 13 years old kid. We found it out from charge back complains. We provide all proves to “EVO” the company who was processing charge backs for us and they denied it because a kid was a miner, he does not responsible for anything. So I have a question if you had liked this case would you report it as a fraud to FBI?

It was not his CC, and it was processed anyhow.

The FBI will do nothing. Getting a better verification process is the only manner of fixing your above explained problem.

We are verifying order with Phone call verification, what can be batter than that?

90% of fraud I get come from Vietnam. I've practically filtered that entire country out from signing up for service now. I just watch the counters go up for fun sometimes. Kinda pointless informing the FBI regarding some third world country people that won't do $hit about it.

Right, what is the role of FBI if fraud is from out of country? Mostly cases of fraud are from different countries.
    Last edited by etechsupport2; 06-03-2005 at 06:38 AM.

The police wont bother I guess, today I am so fedup of that persistent vietnam guy who keep trying to order that I email him Please stop your Order, I know who you are and what you are trying to do. Then he stopped......

What's with all this fraud coming from Vietnam these days? They have nothing better to do?

More likely a bunch of compromised computers in Vietnam.
    Jacob Squires , CISSP

· security assesment, network analysis ·

I've gathered the below two IP's from Vietnam, which we found are indulge in Illegal activities or fraud orders.

222.253.74.52 ( Vietnam )

210.245.125.229 ( Vietnam )

Originally posted by jsquires
    More likely a bunch of compromised computers in Vietnam.
    I don't believe so. They sign up often using words (in domain, name, email, username, password) that tip you off to their ethnicity also.

I've never had a chargeback, mainly because any true fraudulent orders are caught before the account is even created and I deal with established businesses who are serious about their webpage so I don't have problems with people illegally charging back dues paid.

With actual fraudulent orders, they are usually out of country so calling the authorities is pretty pointless. Most of the time, I will just call the actually owner of the credit card that placed the order and inform them that someone has gotten a hold of their banking details.

The FBI won't do anything out of the country, and I doubt they would even look at it if it was in the US.
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Including an RSS feed that you can syndicate!
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Unlimited vs. Unmetered bandwidth

The FBI does not have time to look into every single fraudulent order each hosting company gets, they have better things to do.

Instead of reporting every fraudulent order, you should try and prevent it.

Few things you can do:

1. Match logged IPs with location
    2. Confirm each order with a phone call
    3. Do not instant activate without verification (fraudgate, etc.)
    4. Make sure the phone number matches the address provided

Hope that helps

I dont report fraud ORDERS to the FBI but I do report phishing since it involves identity theft and that is a federal offense. I kind of think its our duty as hosts to report it, and I think it also keeps us out of trouble if anything were to be traced back to our servers.

That's just how I do it.

LH
    If the web closed at midnight, what would YOU do?

If people are conscious, alert and co-operating each others, I think the crime can be minimize in greater extent.

We always point out finger to the duty of our cops, but never think to co-operate them, if we’re extending our co-operation to them and taking our initiative, I think no one can even dare to snatch away a toy from the hand of a baby.

As far as i know. FBI has relationship with authorities in most countries with which we have diplomatic relationship. In better countries even agents on the ground, although they may be there doing something else at the time. And FBI will get involved, but only if fraud is significant in dollar value or affecting many people Or reported by a significant "entity". From cases I saw over $25,000 will make them interested, but actually could be less or more. Continue to report everything. $1,000 from 1,000 hosting companies makes $1,000,000 and definitely should be handled.

I think it also depends upon the "Severity" and the "merit" of particular crime to be handled by them, may be $1,000 can cause severe damage to some one, you can't guess.