hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : Dns people?

Forum Jump

Dns people?

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2005, 02:54 PM

Dns people?

Does a company sell nameservers? for example, if I had a domain, and a server IP address, is there a company that hosts nameservers that would do this? and is it possible to rename the domain servers to that of your own such as ns1.mydomain.com ?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2005, 02:57 PM
WHT Addict

It is up to the hosting company to change nameservers for you.

Some charge, some don't.

Old 06-02-2005, 02:59 PM
Disabled

Yes, most hosts will do it for you. And some domain control panels you can do it

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2005, 02:59 PM
Community Guide

I'm not sure if you're asking the correct question. Since you have your server IP addresses and a domain name, then you could set up your own Nameservers via your Registrar as ns1.yourdomain.com ns2.yourdomain.com.

If you use another companies nameservers, then you wouldn't need your IP but you would need to point to your domain which isn't on their servers that you would be using the nameservers from. Then you've got another problem because you'll need to forward your domain name to point to another address to see your domain. What I've described is URL forwarding. MyDomain.com offers this (masked url forwarding) but you don't need this.

Just set up your nameservers through your registrar.

Old 06-02-2005, 03:00 PM
& Goliath

hobnob,

Yes, there are actually DNS providers who only do dns.
There are a few I've heard about via WHT, but just do a search for 'dns provider' via google and you should get a few quick answers.

Just a note: Just because they're on google doesn't mean they're any good!

Old 06-02-2005, 03:04 PM

Sorry I should have made myself clearer, I have a server with an IP that I can access, But I want a url, instead of keep logging into 81...232 etc, instead of inputting the server IP in the nameserver fields of the registrar I want a company that would point the nameservers to my IP

Old 06-02-2005, 03:06 PM
WHT Addict

So you haven't got a domain pointing to your server? Am i on the right track here?

Old 06-02-2005, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gold1234
So you haven't got a domain pointing to your server? Am i on the right track here?
I have a domain, and a server IP, I thought it would "look" better if i had 2 DNS servers to pair them up

Old 06-02-2005, 03:09 PM
WHT Addict

Maybe I dont understand the question either but here's my shot in the dark.

There are companies such as www.easydns.com that will allow you to have full control over your DNS entries. This is also true of some registrars and some hosts.

Again, I'm not sure if this is what you wanted or not.

LH

Old 06-02-2005, 03:10 PM
Community Guide

Well you don't need a company really to point to your server. Wherever your domain is registered, just go and modify the domain name by adding the records to register your NAMESERVERS to point to your IP which would be ns1.yourdomain.com ns2.yourdomain.com. It will ask for an IP for each nameserver you want to create. If you actually own the server, then you could set the nameservers from root access but you still need to have it reflect in your domain records through your registrar.

Old 06-02-2005, 03:11 PM
WHT Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by hobnob
I have a domain, and a server IP, I thought it would "look" better if i had 2 DNS servers to pair them up

What control panel do you use?

Old 06-02-2005, 03:16 PM

Quote:
What control panel do you use?
Erm, I dont have one all I have is a server running win 2003, and I have a domain registered with register.com but when i try and change the dns, it asks for name servers, of which I havent got

Old 06-02-2005, 03:18 PM
WHT Addict

Ok, usually you set nameservers on the server you have running. I am not good with windows server which is why i always manage linux servers.

From creating nameservers on the win2003 server you set the same nameserver records for your domain. (register.com)

It usually works from there.

Old 06-02-2005, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Ok, usually you set nameservers on the server you have running. I am not good with windows server which is why i always manage linux servers.

From creating nameservers on the win2003 server you set the same nameserver records for your domain. (register.com)

It usually works from there.
Thanks ill give it a go

Old 06-02-2005, 03:20 PM
Community Guide

Here's some info from your registrar to set them up:

Quote:
Question

Can I register my own Domain Name Servers, (DNS)?

Answer

If Register.com is the official registrar of your domain name, you can register a new DNS through Domain Manager. Simply follow the instructions below. Sign into Domain Manager at http://mydomain.register.com Select Modify DNS from the main menu at the top of the screen. If you do not see this link, please contact Customer Support using the 'Ask Us A Question' tab above. One of our representatives will be happy to register a DNS for you. Enter the name of the DNS you'd like to register, for example: dns1.exampledomainname.com, and submit. Enter the IP Address of the DNS you are registering and submit. Upon successful completion of the steps outlined above, a confirmation email will be sent to the Administrative Contact on file for your account. This email will contain a link to the final step of the DNS registration process. If you no longer have access to your Administrative Contact email address, please contact Customer Support using the "Ask Us A Question" tab above. One of our Representatives will be pleased to assist you. Once you have successfully completed the final step of this process, it will take approximately 24 to 72 hours for your new DNS to be processed by the registry and begin resolving correctly. If you have any questions or encounter difficulty registering your DNS, please contact Customer Support using the 'Ask Us A Question' tab above. One of our representatives will be happy to assist you.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Crowdfunded NSA Video Calls for Action Against Government Spying Blog 2013-10-18 10:02:14
Communicating 21st-Century Hosting Terms to 20th-Century Clients Blog 2013-09-23 09:49:24
DreamHost CEO Talks Company Culture in NYT Interview Blog 2013-09-27 12:56:01
Web Hosting Jobs - New Hiring Methods for the New Year Blog 2012-12-13 12:08:55
10-14-2012 Roswell, NM - The Hosting Shift Blog 2012-10-24 15:14:40