Question Technical Help Needed

Hi all

I have recently signed up with a vps to move 2 or three sites from elsewhere to it. Using 2 nameservers for the current server and have registered 2 more for the new IP addresses via the registrar 4 days ago, but the websites on vps does not work, though it works by http://IPaddress/~username/

I receive an alert from the cpanel that The hostname (server.mydomain.com) resolves to .
    (In fact nothing) instead of my IP address.

My company support say that the nameservers is not set, but when I go to "Manage Nameserver IPs" under "Server Setup" in my WHM it confirms that the IP is registered with an ICANN register.

Do I have to wait still, or some adjustment is needed in server side?

Farhad,

You will need to do the following:

1. run /scripts/fixndc
    2. check /etc/hosts and ensure that server.yourdomain.com is in fact in there and isn't resolving to something like HOSTVDS but in fact your hostname/IP
    3. Are the domains that you have added listed in /var/named/ ?

And just a note - they may be correct.
    Doublecheck some of the domains you've setup on the vps using dnsreport.com - which errors show up?

(Not all of the above directions are for just this issue - they fix other issues..as well. You'll want to have your host/Dc setup reverse DNS on your IP as well to your hostname preferably to stop some mailing errors with AOL and other providers).
    Last edited by David; 06-02-2005 at 01:25 PM.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Thanks David.
    The dnsreport shows [NO GLUE; No A record]

For the others let me double check them.

Farhad,

For each of the accounts you have pointing at those DNS Servers - have you setup a local cpanel account for each?

If not - that would be the first step to take.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Yes, one of them is a reseller account itself and the other is under root.

Farhad,

And are the domains listed in /var/named/
    David

no, in fact they are not!

Farhad,

You may need to readd the accounts (as addons, parked, whatever they may be) or manually create the /var/named/ entries.

(I'd recommend just going and readding the accounts - much easier in the longrun but you could gain some well needed knowledge doing it manually).
    David

Ok. Thanks a lot. I'll try to solve it.