What's the benefit of Dedicated IPs?

I see Dedicated IPs being offered on a lot of shared hosting plans. What's the benefit?

Thanks.

Being anonymous is one, also if you actually own the IP you can switch the server it is on and such preventing downtime of sites I believe.
    Greg Lubbelinkhof

Cool

A dedicated IP has a couple of advantages that come to mind quickly. (1) If you do e-commerce you will need one for your security certificate & probably your cart software. (2) If your host has a spammer that gets their mail IP "blacklisted" you may be spared by having a dedicated IP (but not always, sometimes they block a range)
    There are other benefits, the "average" web site doesn't really require one but offering one is an added "feature" and every host seems to be looking to have 1 more thing on the "feature list" than every other host...

PS: You will not actually "own" the IP but if you change servers with the same host it can prevent having to change your name servers if your IP moves with you.
    New Idea Hosting NO Overselling-Business-Grade, Shared Only! New-In House Design Team.
    High Speed & Uptime; , DIY Pro-Site Builder-Daily Backups-Custom Plans, All Dual Xeon Quad Intel servers w/ ECC DDR3 RAM SCSI RAID minimums.
    We Concentrate on Shared Hosting ...doing one thing and doing it VERY well

Mainly for SSL, you will need a dedicated IP when doing secure sites.

Most host seem to offer the dedicated IP address needed when signing up for a cert though.

For any other purposes you usually don't need a dedicate IP, shared is just fine.

Hosts who waste IP addreses on plain shared hosting should be shot and hanged in the town square for all to see.

IP addresses are not an unlimited resource and should not be squandered on shared hosting when shared IP works just as well.

SSL certs, on the other hand, do require their own IP.
    Mark Oberg
    Techweenies.com

(No longer affiliated with Uneedawebsite.com)

Originally posted by uneedawebsit
    Hosts who waste IP addreses on plain shared hosting should be shot and hanged in the town square for all to see.

IP addresses are not an unlimited resource and should not be squandered on shared hosting when shared IP works just as well.

SSL certs, on the other hand, do require their own IP.
    That's inflammatory nonsense and has no place in a reasonable discussion. Web hosting achieves 99%+ utilization of IP blocks, while the majority of actual waste is happening in corporate networks, large allocations from backbones, etc.

There are numerous virtualizations that dedicated IPs make possible, and it's a perfectly allowable usage under ARIN guidelines. Have you been to any of the ARIN public policy meetings and contributed to discussions there?

Kevin

To have your own dedicated SSL or annon FTP site you may need a dedicated IP address.

Good luck

Yes, what I understand is that dedicated IP is mainly of use if you need a dedicated SSL certificate. Other than that, (+anonFTP) I believe it's of marginal interest. Gives you a good feeling maybe?
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

There are number of advantages of dedicated IP address. The following are some of the important:-

1. In case you are using a ecommerce shopping website. You will require a SSL certificate. If you use shared IP address for SSL certificate the name over the certificate will not be your's. Rather if you are having a dedicated IP address then you can have your own dedicated SSL certificate in your own name or website name. This will increase the confidence of your potential clients to purchase over your website.

2. As mentioned before if any person over the shared server spams mails around and the IP is blocked then you are not able to use that particular IP to send the mails any where. In that case the dedicated IP address will be useful as it will be only you who shall be using that IP address.

The following are some more:-

anonymous FTP, virtualized FTP, IMAP, POP3, bandwidth monitoring (certain techniques), anything else you care to virtualize, reverse DNS (As some hosts do not provide Reverse DNS).

I'd say that most of the advantages of a dedicated SSL certificate have already been said. There is one, however, that I'm surprised that nobody has said yet, and it a very important one. If you have a reseller hosting account, and you're running a web hosting company, to setup private nameservers you need a dedicated IP address.

To uneedawebsit: I completely disagree with you. There are a lot of hosting companies that will include dedicated IP addresses with their plans, and I don't see anything wrong with that at all. Hosts have to pay for IP addresses, so it is a decision that they will make on whether or not they should include them. If you feel so strongly against them, I agree with sigma and suggest that you go to ARIN public policy meetings and discuss your utter outrage.
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Including an RSS feed that you can syndicate!
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Unlimited vs. Unmetered bandwidth

Originally posted by HostingInsider
    I'd say that most of the advantages of a dedicated SSL certificate have already been said. There is one, however, that I'm surprised that nobody has said yet, and it a very important one. If you have a reseller hosting account, and you're running a web hosting company, to setup private nameservers you need a dedicated IP address.

To uneedawebsit: I completely disagree with you. There are a lot of hosting companies that will include dedicated IP addresses with their plans, and I don't see anything wrong with that at all. Hosts have to pay for IP addresses, so it is a decision that they will make on whether or not they should include them. If you feel so strongly against them, I agree with sigma and suggest that you go to ARIN public policy meetings and discuss your utter outrage.
    Firstly, you don't need a dedicated IP address for nameservers.
    We have 3 sets (6) of nameservers running on 2 IP's and it causes absolutly no problems.

Secondly, i'm not completely in aggreement about IP's.
    I can understand where you are coming from, but i think uneedawebsit is right in suggesting that just mindlessly handing out IP addresses is not right. Why not give them out on request instead of just giving them out automatically, that is just wastage.
    Andrew Thomas

I very much doubt that shared hostring companies are assigning dedicated IP's automatically. If so they are few and far between. Most will do so upon request (and charge a fee for it)

One use for a dedicated IP is to take advantage of Wildcarded DNS to allow for masked subdomain forwarding.