I cant get DSL could this be true?

I ordered DSL last month, the order went through, then I get a letter saying there are to many "loops" in my phone line.
    So I can't get it now. has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

the house next me has DSL but I cant. makes no sence.
    I guess I will be staying with cable.

Yes, it makes sense. You can try complaining until they agree to send a tech out to physically check, otherwise, until they update that, you're not eligable for DSL.

Can't you call your phone company and ask them to install a "loop" or whatever the heck it is. If your neighbor has it that sounds like complete bologna to me if you can't have it as well.

Just call and tell them to install it.

Depends which company are we talking about..

When I ordered Covad, they took a month and they said there were still problems at the line... Then I cancelled it and ordered version, in a weeek it was installed..

Peace,
    Testing 1.. Testing 1..2.. Testing 1..2..3...

Re: I cant get DSL could this be true?

Originally posted by doot
    I ordered DSL last month, the order went through, then I get a letter saying there are to many "loops" in my phone line.
    So I can't get it now. has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

the house next me has DSL but I cant. makes no sence.
    I guess I will be staying with cable.
    The trick behind this is to order a new analog (POTS) phone line. As soon as the order is completed, order xDSL on that line and then cancel the phone service itself.

This has worked 99x out of 100 for us.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

A lot factors can be at play when a line doesn't qualify. A person may be on an SLC, or other multiplexing system. They could also have a line with quite a few bridge taps installed.

The Phone company is Verizon. I live in a large community
    the house's are older most were built in the 70's some even older.
    However that shouldnt have anything to due with the lines.
    unless they are in a big mess or something.
    every time I ask for a manager I get the runaround
    Although other people here have dsl.
    Must just be something with my individual line.

Atlantic Broad Band is $30 monthly + moden rental of $4.95
    their connection speed is 160kb not very fast.

Verizon is 3.0 MB for something like $29.95
    and they give a free router.

Buy an expensive powerful wireless router for the guy next door, you know, as a gift. Install it for him, as a gift also. Problem solved!

I'll second Sirius' opinion; we've had a similar experience.

Or, if you go the Covad route, they might actually fix the "loop" problem on your existing line. We had a customer with DSL that was just outside the qualified specs.....until the technican mounted the telephone pole and literally rewired around a "loop" whereby the cable went needlessly down the street 4 blocks and back. After that they were able to get DSL. Slow DSL, but a victory is a victory
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

thats OK, DSL sucks anyway ;-)

Sounds like a problem that (dun dun duran) cable can fix

Originally posted by NickRac
    thats OK, DSL sucks anyway ;-)
    Thank You for that stupid comment.

Cable is better anyways

Just adding another stupid comment - however true it may be.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

FIOS is better anyways

just adding another stupid comment

I dont know much about either service I just want a faster
    connection speed for the money.

I know, get Dial up! HEHE took 1 for the stupid comment team

I'm eating pizza.

Just another stupid comment.

Seriously though, Sirius is correct

List any oxymorons you can think of!
    Microsoft Works

ROFL

Speaking as someone that IS an expert on DSL provisioning.... it doesn't matter if your neighbor has DSL and you can't get it.

As was stated, each loop adds additional distance from the CO (Central Office) where your service comes from.

The priority order for high speed lines is as follows:

Fiber
    ATM and Frame Relays
    T3
    T2
    T1
    DSL
    Normal phone lines.

Any time you have a loop (or jump as we referred to), that's "hopping" over a higher priority service line. Each loop adds to the total length of the distance from your DSL service to the CO.

It's not uncommon for someone on the first and second floor to be able to get DSL and their neighbor (to the side or upstairs) to not get it. It's happened to me a few times, where I have pre-qualified them, only to find out that the loops add another 3,000 feet, or that there are too many loops to provide reliable service to them.

The distance from a service point to the CO/CLEC over the last year or three has been increased from 16,185 feet to around 23,000 feet as technology and upgrades have gotten better. Each loop can add anywhere from 15 feet to over 1300 feet to the total length, because you have to bypass the normal route of service. So if you've got even 10 loops, averaging 500 feet each, that's an additional distance of 5000 feet. If you're already at 17000 feet from the CO, that comes to 22000 feet away, in terms of the service line. At that point, you'd have to deal with the potential for latency and service degredation.

Verizon DOES have the ability to take SOME loops out, it's a matter of if they can restructure the existing lines without interrupting service for the other customers and high priority lines.

Hope this helps explain things a bit more
    Doug Hazard - "retired" Web Hosting Master
    * Full Stack (Web/WP) Dev for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond (160+ sites)
    * Sports Photographer, Media Personality and CFB Historian
    * Tech Admin for several Sports Networks/Sites

The Bear,

Good gouge. Thanks for the education.
    Rich
    Husband, Father, Retired Marine, Geek

thank you, great explanation!

Originally posted by The Bear
    Speaking as someone that IS an expert on DSL provisioning.... it doesn't matter if your neighbor has DSL and you can't get it.

As was stated, each loop adds additional distance from the CO (Central Office) where your service comes from.

The priority order for high speed lines is as follows:

Fiber
    ATM and Frame Relays
    T3
    T2
    T1
    DSL
    Normal phone lines.

Any time you have a loop (or jump as we referred to), that's "hopping" over a higher priority service line. Each loop adds to the total length of the distance from your DSL service to the CO.

It's not uncommon for someone on the first and second floor to be able to get DSL and their neighbor (to the side or upstairs) to not get it. It's happened to me a few times, where I have pre-qualified them, only to find out that the loops add another 3,000 feet, or that there are too many loops to provide reliable service to them.

The distance from a service point to the CO/CLEC over the last year or three has been increased from 16,185 feet to around 23,000 feet as technology and upgrades have gotten better. Each loop can add anywhere from 15 feet to over 1300 feet to the total length, because you have to bypass the normal route of service. So if you've got even 10 loops, averaging 500 feet each, that's an additional distance of 5000 feet. If you're already at 17000 feet from the CO, that comes to 22000 feet away, in terms of the service line. At that point, you'd have to deal with the potential for latency and service degredation.

Verizon DOES have the ability to take SOME loops out, it's a matter of if they can restructure the existing lines without interrupting service for the other customers and high priority lines.

Hope this helps explain things a bit more

Originally posted by Marklittle
    Buy an expensive powerful wireless router for the guy next door, you know, as a gift. Install it for him, as a gift also. Problem solved!
    hahaha. agreed set up a couple of access points as well
    remy

The Bear, nice explaination
    I use GeekStorage for all my hosting needs. They truly are the best.

A presentation without a demonstration is just a conversation.