Help, please, not sure what path to take.

As to not sidetrack anyone, I'll get right down to business:

I run a site, currently, on a shared hosting plan that allows me 200gb/mo of transfer and so on, but I am finding myself very agitated with the service I am recieving, as well as coming to that limit much much faster than before.

This means, of course, that it is time for me to upgrade, but the question is 'where to?' My website mainly deals with downloads, as it is the reason people come there; nearly all the files are 3mb in size and are .zips, etc. I have over 500 of these files, and it grows daily, so space is going to be an issue, as well (since larger files will soon come into the mix, roughly 200mb).

I'd like to say my budget is around 70/mo, and I guess it's fair to say I'd be streching it if I wanted a lot for that many.

I've looked at places like layeredtech (and their resellers), as well as FDC (oh no!) for their VPS offers, but am I looking in the right direction? Do I need to go semi-/dedicated to get the tranfser rates I am looking for? Unmetered would be ideal, and so, that is the main reason I am looking at FDC, as they claim to be unmetered (along with not charging for overages).

Thing is, I've never run a dedicated server, or anything like that, before, so would I be dead in the water if I was to get a machine from LT? Is setting up something like webmin and running a site really that hard? I am not reselling, the only thing I will be hosting are the 2-3 sites that I maintain myself.

Back on track, though, I am going to say I'll need at least 600gb/mo to keep myself floating safely, and 15gb+ of harddrive space is a must.

Hopefully I've expressed my wants, now, if anyone can step up and offer advice, let at it!

Well, all I can say is that if you go dedicated and you don't know what you're doing as far as administration goes, then you'll need to hire a system admin for sure. At least with a VPS, your server will already be administered by your service provider. If you're pushin 400gb+ right now, do you or will you have room to grow in the coming months with only 600gb of bandwidth? Unmetered may be the route to go but that's another bag of apples. Layered Tech is a good server provider and the network is solid but you will need a System Admin. For low budget dedicated services and have it managed by a System Admin, you're looking at average $130+ for anything reliable or decent. I suggest using the host quote to get some offers with your specs or browse the dedicated server area in the advertising forums. Goodluck!
    Hi! My name is Christina Chun and I'm an Artist.

At minimum, you should get a Managed VPS -- which your stated budget can handle. This would increase your Server allocations and provide some help in managing your portion of the Server.

Other than that, a Managed Dedicated Server or sharing a Server, if you know the person, is the only other option. Would require a higher monthly payment though.
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

Re: Help, please, not sure what path to take.

Originally posted by hammo
    As to not sidetrack anyone, I'll get right down to business:

I run a site, currently, on a shared hosting plan that allows me 200gb/mo of transfer and so on, but I am finding myself very agitated with the service I am recieving, as well as coming to that limit much much faster than before.

This means, of course, that it is time for me to upgrade, but the question is 'where to?' My website mainly deals with downloads, as it is the reason people come there; nearly all the files are 3mb http://www.webhostingtalk.com/newrep...stid=3132678in size and are .zips, etc. I have over 500 of these files, and it grows daily, so space is going to be an issue, as well (since larger files will soon come into the mix, roughly 200mb).

I'd like to say my budget is around 70/mo, and I guess it's fair to say I'd be streching it if I wanted a lot for that many.

I've looked at places like layeredtech (and their resellers), as well as FDC (oh no!) for their VPS offers, but am I looking in the right direction? Do I need to go semi-/dedicated to get the tranfser rates I am looking for? Unmetered would be ideal, and so, that is the main reason I am looking at FDC, as they claim to be unmetered (along with not charging for overages).

Thing is, I've never run a dedicated server, or anything like that, before, so would I be dead in the water if I was to get a machine from LT? Is setting up something like webmin and running a site really that hard? I am not reselling, the only thing I will be hosting are the 2-3 sites that I maintain myself.

Back on track, though, I am going to say I'll need at least 600gb/mo to keep myself floating safely, and 15gb+ of harddrive space is a must.

Hopefully I've expressed my wants, now, if anyone can step up and offer advice, let at it!

Hey...

You can try with www.spry.com they have good VPS offers with unmetered 1.5mbps line. I don't have personal expierence with them but i think most reviews here on WHT are quite positive.

Spry also have some coupon offers in the webhosting offers sections here on WHT.

I've read a couple of posts regarding Managed servers, is this what I want, if I am to go the Dedicated route? What exactly is the difference between managed and unmanaged, and is the difference significant enough to allow someone like me, with limited knowledge of admin'ing, to run his a site off a dedicated box.

Depending on the level of management, a managed server means the support staff typically has access to the physical facilities in which your server is housed, and will perform kernel updates and security patches, keep server administration software (control panels, etc.) updated, monitor for outages and perform reboots without you having to be alerted to the outage, and generally they'll use their expertise to setup the server for you from the start (many unmanaged servers will at least do this for you too). Some server management people/teams will provide limited or broad script support as well, if you're willing to pay for it.

The security-related parts are the most crucial, IMHO. I wouldn't purchase an unmanaged server with my level of knowledge and lack of access to the datacenter, not on your life!
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

So what would you suggest? My current account with Fuitadnet (ugh) will either renew or end on the 5th of this month, I'd like for it to be the latter so that I can move to my new server, in that sense my time is limited.

Unmanaged - They will make sure you're online up and running. At minimal, they will replace faulty hardware due to failure. Load your OS and reload OS (for a fee usually). Perform reboots upon request.

Other than that, you're on your own for security, updates, etcs.

Originally posted by Azn_Chic
    Unmanaged - They will make sure you're online up and running. At minimal, they will replace faulty hardware due to failure. Load your OS and reload OS (for a fee usually). Perform reboots upon request.

Other than that, you're on your own for security, updates, etcs.
    That's the technical definition of unmanaged, but how many companies actually stick to that without any deviation at all? None that come to mind immediately.
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

Ah, well if your server fails, most won't proactively intervene. You have to do the support tickets/phone calls. So, a managed solution for the server beginner would be in my opinion a MUST. Or find a great Server Admin/company to manage your unmanaged server.

So, just for referance, is getting my site up and running a hard procedure, by any means, soon as I get the server?

I've heard that programs like ZPanel and Webmin will do most of the work for me, such as getting PHP/SQL/Apache installed and what not. Is there validity to this statement?

As for managed servers, I've heard nothing but good about dedicated place, is that the right direction to be looking in?

I've seen mixed reviews of Dedicated Place but I have no first hand experience. I'd say gather a list of Managed Server providers that you think are good choices and then do a check on them all. Every company will or will have a few bad things to say about them so no company will be "perfect". As for control panels, I have yet to try DirectAdmin, heck I'm itching to try it out, but I've heard it's really stable and easy to use and set things up in. cPanel, people have mixed feelings about it but it's actively updated and what not when holes/fixes are found/needed. I like cPanel but you have to take care of it. I have no experience with ZPanel or Webmin, so......others will need to comment. The server provider usually sets the server up for you and then hand over root access and you're on your marry way (unmanaged). So setting it up is already done. It's maintaining and tweaking it to your liking and to make it secure that are the after things you should do. But a managed provider will usually hand hold you through the process or actively do the things you ask on a per case basis.

Good luck!

I can't tell you anything about Dedicated Place, but I can tell you setting up a single site on a server is not a difficult thing to do at all. The amount of time it takes to do this depends entirely on how long it take you to upload your site. Setting up databases is generally pretty easy too. Once your static files are uploaded, a site can generally be brought up in 5-30 minutes, assuming basic familiarity with the control panel components that help speed this process along. If you're having trouble, it might be worth paying the server techs a few extra bucks to help you get your databases installed initially.

Oh, most dedicated servers will come with all the scripting modules already installed. You don't have to do this. You just have to restore your site to the same form in which it resided previously and repoint your DNS
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

not choose an EV1 VPS? http://ev1servers.net/english/vps_series.asp

This would fit your budget and give you a nice control panel (PLESK) to manage the site. You'd get 200GB bandwidth with the highest level option and at just $59 /month you could afford management of it if you needed it!
    ManageMyServices was sold by me in September 2009. I no longer have any affiliation with this company.