anyone with PLESK knowledge plz...!

hi there...

i wanted to know that if you are on a shared IP in PLESK, how do you get to the ACTUAL site via the IP address ONLY...

like in CPANEL, say u are on a shared IP address: xx.xx.xx.xx

then you can go to your site by typing: xx.xx.xx.xx/~YOUR_ACCOUNT_NAME

what is such URL for plesk?

anyone?

Re: anyone with PLESK knowledge plz...!

Originally posted by chillax
    hi there...

i wanted to know that if you are on a shared IP in PLESK, how do you get to the ACTUAL site via the IP address ONLY...

like in CPANEL, say u are on a shared IP address: xx.xx.xx.xx

then you can go to your site by typing: xx.xx.xx.xx/~YOUR_ACCOUNT_NAME

what is such URL for plesk?

anyone?

Just write the port number (default is 8443) and write your login details(password + username) , it will auto log to your account.

So it would be something like this

xx.xx.xx.xx:8443 and then enter your username and password.

Good luck

hehe.. that i know rorax

but thats for logging on to plesk CP ...

i want the web address.. say if i have uploaded a file to my account.. i want its location on web..

like say file is: mydomain/folder_name/filename
    what would be its address thru IP?

IP_Adress/my_account/foldername/filename
    or something similar?

Don't you have a domain name associated with your account? If not, your host probably gave you a subdomain

i have a domain name... but nevertheless i wanted a IP interface....

plz anyone

Last time I need tech support from an IT pal, his reply to PLESK was "You mean PEST ... yuck!" Sorry... not much help.

lol! anyone else?

actualy i dont wantr to ask my host cuz i dont want to give them a hint that i am shifting.. thwey cause too many problems then and considering that i have 16 dyas still left in my account .. i cant afford that..

If its a shared host you can only access the "main" site/domain via the IP address. This is usually a plesk placeholder page. Theres not really a way around this because of how vhosts are handled by design.

As far as I am aware you can not without modifications to some key services. Although please feel free to correct me if I am wrong

You could do it with some modification to the http.conf file see :

http://forum.ev1servers.net/showthread.php?p=309922

Although I am assuming that it is a shared enviroment and you do not have that level of access (and I wouldn't recommend doing it anyway). What exactly do you need to be able to access the site via the Ip address for ?

Originally posted by andrewjab
    Although please feel free to correct me if I am wrong
    Okay.

This will let you preview the site:

https://<<server_ip>>:8443/sitepreview/http/<<domain>>.com/

Gary

Plesk is very strange in this issue as it does not let you see the site prior to DNS propagation very well. You can trick the IP/~user but it will not let you connect and test database workings or anything, you mostly can only see the HTML pages.

This is what we tell our customers to do.

The easiest is to open Internet Explorer >> click on the Tools >> Internet Options >> Connections Tab >> Enable "Use a Proxy server for your LAN" and put in your assigned IP address.

This method will allow you to Publish with FrontPage or FTP upload as well as fully test all scripts and databases before your site goes live.

What this does is "trick" your browser into thinking the DNS is already on that IP and the site will show in your browser 100% correct, you can test database function and everything. Makes it a nice way to move a site from one host to another and make sure everything works before actually moving the DNS.

Then if you want to take it one step further on moving from one host to another you can set up your email accounts in Outlook and on the incoming/outgoing settings use your IP address instead of your mail.domain.com and you can make sure you do not lose any emails in the move either.

I hope this helps

Robert
    Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

AussieHosts that doesn't actually work on our Plesk Server. I just tried it for a new domain name a client just registered.

There is another way to do it as well, you can modify the host file on your computer.

This file is a sort of basic DNS server, and allows you to assign IP
    addresses to domain names, but does so without calling another server.
    You could add the line:

<IP address> domai.tld

Under Windows NT, 2000 and XP, the hosts file can be found under
    (replace windows with winnt for Windows NT):

c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Under Windows 9x it's:

c:\windows\hosts

Under linux/Unix it's:

/etc/hosts

Although you should remember to remove it after the propogation. I wouldn't recommend carrying this out for those that do not know anything about there system.

Originally posted by andrewjab
    AussieHosts that doesn't actually work on our Plesk Server.
    I haven't had too many problems with it. CSS is generally ignored, and database connectivity is flakey (example: a forum will connect, and display the front page, but sub-sections usually wont open up). Yes, the .hosts file is the best method though. It doesn't matter if you leave it there after propagation either (instead of making proxy or DNS changes) because presumably the IP being added to the .hosts file is where you want your browser to find the site (in the long term) anyway.

Gary

gary's suggestion worked

and its really strange to know that plesk doesnt offer flexibility in terms of viewwing site prior to DNS propagation...

another point in my "plesk is bad because: " list .. lol

btw i would like to edit that host file... i am on a VPS and have shel access.. HOW exactly shud i go about editing that file??
    <<IP ADDRESS> domai.tld
    this is greek !

thx all who replied... i am gaining some valuable knowledge

I'm confused as to the complexity of the responses here

All the user needs to do is to login to their PLESK panel, go to that particular domain and click the handy dandy Site Preview button and they're all set If you don't have this, tell your provider to get with the times and upgrade the PLESK version!

Easy!
    ManageMyServices was sold by me in September 2009. I no longer have any affiliation with this company.

<IP address> domai.tld

Your server IP address followed by your domain name :

86.130.62.80 example.com
    86.130.62.80 www.example.com

Will tell your computer to go 86.130.62.80 when looking up example.com or www.example.com . Over riding any DNS lookup required. This allows you to hard code the location of a domain name onto your computer.

The reason I stated it would be a good idea to remove it is in case you forget that you have it and change hosting providers or IP address - as it could take you a while to remember that you hard coded it in the beginning.

and its really strange to know that plesk doesnt offer flexibility in terms of viewwing site prior to DNS propagation...
    It gets abused.

Cpanel never used to offer a "bandwidth protection" option. Anyone could link to http://<<server_ip>>/ftp_username and chew up all the data they wanted, without it being attributed to their specific account. I'd imagine it's not turned on by default though, so it probably still gets abused on Cpanel.

btw i would like to edit that host file... i am on a VPS and have shel access.. HOW exactly shud i go about editing that file??
    The ".hosts" file is on your local system (if you're running Windows).

Gary