Host with support only through forums

I remember a while ago a hosting company was started that only offered support through their forums (no email or helpdesk). I tried searching...but wasn't really sure what to search for. Could anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!
    Matt

Why would you want a host with LESS options? Most places offer forum, email, helpdesk, and sometimes even phone support.
    Imeanwebhosting.com - Shared cpanel hosting, 99.9% uptime.
    10 min average ticket responses, softaculous, rvsitebuilder, and more!
    Reliable, affordable shared hosting. I Mean Web Hosting!

www.httpme.com ?

I know they offer support through forums and helpdesk.

A lot of companies offer support through forums. Httpme does not only offer support through forums but are forum based aswell.

Why would you want a company that only offer forum support? As stated earlier, wouldn't you rather have a host with other options as well?
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Including an RSS feed that you can syndicate!
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Unlimited vs. Unmetered bandwidth

For those who don't need as much support, why pay for support when you can get more space and bandwidth for the money?

http://www.solidinternet.com is a forums-only web host as well. WHT user coight works for SI/Myacen and is quite active here.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

Sorry, I guess the question came across wrong to some. I partly wanted to see how the host is doing because I thought it was a different idea. It was a host that only offer support through forums. This then lowered their operational costs and allowed them to offer cheaper hosting. I think it was a company that created a subsidiary to offer this special hosting. Sorry if this was confusing, I was just wondering if anyone remembered the host. It was probably a year ago at least.

Edit:Sry CTG, didn't refresh the page before I replied. That very well may have been it, thank you very much!
    Matt

Originally posted by Badone
    Sorry, I guess the question came across wrong to some. I partly wanted to see how the host is doing because I thought it was a different idea. It was a host that only offer support through forums. This then lowered their operational costs and allowed them to offer cheaper hosting.
    Just two cents worth here.... I've had similar issues in the past and would worry these are resellers and not true hosting companies. I think I'll start a thread on that too. I'm willing to pay for value and competence but a bargain may not be one if you deal with a ghost.

Originally posted by CTG
    http://www.solidinternet.com is a forums-only web host as well. WHT user coight works for SI/Myacen and is quite active here.
    For those prices they should have in-home support.
    Imeanwebhosting.com - Shared cpanel hosting, 99.9% uptime.
    10 min average ticket responses, softaculous, rvsitebuilder, and more!
    Reliable, affordable shared hosting. I Mean Web Hosting!

Originally posted by Bohica
    Really?

Maybe I'm missing the sarcasm, but you do realize they charge substantially less than your company does, right? Maybe you should put the same effort into READING as you do into attempting to devalue your competitors .
    http://www.srohosting.com
    Stability, redundancy and peace of mind

Cool

Just my .02
    Most hosts offer a variety of support options, but...
    There are folks who need very little support and we are fortunate to have a majority of our customers who fall in that category, but I believe we should be available if and when needed. The majority of our customers who do need support are fine with "tickets" but some need or want the reassurance of a real person on the telephone. We don't even bother with a forum. But that's just our customer niche and what works for us, not everybody else.
    Hosts can do a lot to lower support overhead besides going to "forum only" so that seems a bit extreme but maybe it works for them.... On-line demo-tutorials for example; are one thing that has worked well for us. Most of our "old" common issues were eliminated when we made the relatively small investment there. But we still have support calls & tickets. These days it seems one of the most common is when an ISP starts filtering outside e-mail without telling their customers, which usually generates the frantic "my e-mail quit working" type request.
    If you can handle things yourself, don't need fast or guaranteed support, and are shopping based on price as your primary concern there are lots of hosts who can fit the bill. Heck I have been amazed at the success of the "free" hosting business model.
    I don't criticize any host for doing what they do, it's their business what they charge, what they offer, if they oversell and if so how much (personally I still don't think overselling is ethical, but we beat that horse to death long ago).
    There are as many sustainable "business models" in this business as there are hosts it seems. But all it takes is a while reading here to find many of those models were not sustainable or didn't provide the service level or support the customer expected. Regardless of whether it was the host's fault for "over-promising" or "hiding" details in the fine print somewhere in their TOS or SLA or the customer's for not doing any research the end result was the same; somebody's unhappy. The oft quoted signature line of one of the major posters here "there is no best host, only the host that's best for you" is so very true.
    As long as a company doesn't misrepresent what they provide I can't be critical. It's the ones who promise what they can't deliver that get the "black eyes" here or disappear with customers left hanging.
    It's the same as the old saying "you get what you pay for". That's often but not always true in this and most other businesses.
    For years I couldn't fathom why anybody would choose a $2-$3 or less per month host and expect anything more than an menial account with some reseller. But time and a few thousand posts have shown that there is a market for that, lot's of web sites are just personal stuff with little traffic and some slow speeds, slow support or some downtime here & there are no big deal to the customer that's saving a few dollars a year.
    So I'm content keeping my customers happy and feeling that they get their money's worth, as long as any other host's customers feel the same way their method of doing business is just that, their business.
    If this company want's to do "forum only" support they probably have a reason and if their customers are satisfied with them it's their "business model", nothing more or less. Time will determine if it works for them or not. I don't think it's for me or any other host to say if it's a good or bad idea, their customers will determine that.
    New Idea Hosting NO Overselling-Business-Grade, Shared Only! New-In House Design Team.
    High Speed & Uptime; , DIY Pro-Site Builder-Daily Backups-Custom Plans, All Dual Xeon Quad Intel servers w/ ECC DDR3 RAM SCSI RAID minimums.
    We Concentrate on Shared Hosting ...doing one thing and doing it VERY well

If I was a client looking for hosting I wouldnt like to post for support, I would want live support or ticket & phone. Its faster then waiting for a reply form the admin. Anyway good luck

Many Regards
    Robert.

Originally posted by Bohica

Huh?

"$29.95 USD annually"
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

I say a variety of support options is the best.

Forums are nice for general questions, but never for private information that should be kept in a pm or helpdesk ticket.

Tickets are one of the best ways for support, they allow easy tracking of past request, answers, etc.

I know of a lot of web hosts who offer only forum/email support, I think its a great way to go actually. It allows for them to search and find there answers, it also allows other customers chances to show there knowledge and help aswel.

Wow, this has turned into a good discussion, thanks everyone! Great post btw DDT. I just thought it was an interesting model using forums only. fire100 brings up a good point though with privacy. Some issues may require that.
    Matt

Hi,

Just to address this, yes it is us. We launched the service back in 02. It's been very successful. We offer a cheap solution for people that require little to no support. Server administration is still provided on a proactive basis by our system administrators. We offer the two options, cheaper solidinternet accounts and more expensive myacen accounts which offer ticketing support.

By removing ticketing support we don't require as many staff for that part of our services, and by automating our billing we can slash prices and pass them on to consumers.

You do get plenty for little with the service however uptime for a "budget" host is exceptional. I'm guessing we loose quite a number of potential customers by offering forum only support however we have a very low churn rate on the service as we are satisfying what clients are chasing. Theirs a number of other things the business has up it's sleeve in terms of new approaches in webhosting but I won't reveal all the secrets