Sounds or no sounds?

Im am working on making my companies webhosting site, and i am wondering if i should put sounds aloong with the flash actions, or should i leave it silent?

I am wondering what ur experience is with how customers like/dislike soundeffects

I guess this can depend a bit on the market you're targetting, but as a safe approach, I would say that any sounds that are not specifically requested by the visitor should be considered unwelcome.

No Sounds and no flash intro or animation.
    Sounds are annoying.
    Both sounds and flash slow down the site and thats not very good. Also since alot of templates out there use sounds and useless flash animation people might think you just used a template. Flash is ok for a navigation menu. But its better to have the menu in regular html/css

I would not recommend putting sounds in. As a visitor to a site, and one who likes to listen to music on my computer, the last thing I want is some sound scaring the jeebers out of me. Most times I will simply close that site and not return.
    <?php echo "Signature here"; ?>

I agree with ldcdc about avoiding sounds. When I browse websites & when I make sites, I find lots of sounds and flashing colors, etc to be distracting. I will close sites that bombard me with sounds and flashy things without giving me any useful information.

To me, it doesn't portray a level of professionalism and if thats what I'm looking for from that site, even sites with useful information may get on my nerves and I may go elsewhere for the same information if there is a less annoying alternative.

I prefer no sounds.

I would leave out the sounds, and you might also want to leave out the Flash completely. You can do a lot of good things with straight HTML, CSS, and Javascript.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Originally posted by E_man3
    No Sounds and no flash intro or animation.
    Sounds are annoying.
    Both sounds and flash slow down the site and thats not very good. Also since alot of templates out there use sounds and useless flash animation people might think you just used a template. Flash is ok for a navigation menu. But its better to have the menu in regular html/css
    Yeah true it can be a bit when your like searching for a host you dont want to watch a 2 minute movie, Id say no flash. And remember some people dont have good enough computers

Keep it simple
    Ankit Gupta - Cernax Hosting
    "We're always second in the industry, the customer comes first."

I dont like the idea of using sounds for coporate websites. However, if you do decide to use sound then there should be a readily visible button that users can click on to turn off the sound, otherwise you may find yourself loosing quite a few visitors.
    Vertivo :: Affordable Web Hosting Packages and Reseller Plans
    We offer affordable and reliable Linux-based Reseller and Shared Hosting Plans. Accepted: All major Credit Cards and PayPal.

I bet all of the above have opt for no sound. I second that too. Sound can be useful in some sites but not in webhosting. You must know what a customer looks for in a webhosting site. Is it the sound that they are looking for? or good content and convincing services?

Flash can be an option but not over-do it. In many cases, there are a handful of internet users not able to view the flash.

I would say no sounds, because when you open the site some people forget to turn the speakers down and.. boom the music comes out as loud as it can. If you really find it neccesary to add sounds, I would use little beeping sound effects when you roll over an image or something.

No sounds. Nothing annoys me more than websites with sound on them.

Sounds sell website templates, not web hosting.
    Dan Grossman - dan @ awio.com
    My Blog | Affiliate Program for Web Hosts

Do you have a place whre your customers or visitors can post? Maybe running a poll would work to give you a handle on what your visitors prefer.
    Game control panels - control your game world your way. Server-Genie.com
    http://server-genie.com

i was basically thinking the same thing, no sounds

but i was curious to hear from ppl with erxperience

1 more vote for no sounds
    It gets really annoying sometimes. I like a quiet surfing experience, or at least with the music I like.
    -=- GQ Hong -=-
    GalacNet WebMaster

Chalk up another vote for no sounds. I find those type of sites to be annoying, especially, if I am up at this hour of the morning.
    PrimeHost Inc. - Canadian Web Hosting PrimeHost.ca - Canada's Prime Web Host
    █ Reliable Web Hosting for Business and Personal Websites on Canadian Servers

Peace and quiet.
    It's time to kick back, pop in a From Autumn to Ashes CD, and relax.....

Originally posted by Dan Grossman
    Sounds sell website templates, not web hosting.
    Well spoken.

Webhosting site? Speaking for myself - no sounds, no animations, no flash, no animated gifs.

I pretty much close the tab nearly immediately whenever I encounter a site with sounds or too much flash or "moving stuff" ESPECIALLY if I'm shopping I want streamlined and simple and straightforward as possible.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

Have no sounds. Preferably, no Flash, but definitely no sound.
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Including an RSS feed that you can syndicate!
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Unlimited vs. Unmetered bandwidth

Oddly enough, alot of newbie customers get on the internet from work. It wouldn't be a good thing if you blasted them with a tune while they're trying to sneak in a sign up while the boss isn't looking...

Just my 2 cents.

LH
    If the web closed at midnight, what would YOU do?