Thread: Starting Out

Starting Out

Hello ,
    I am currently starting out a webhosting business and i might also be selling shells and basic IRCD's. I know im going to get some critiscm because you will tell me that i should have researched it.

I have bought a domain
    I am a Admin and i have secured my box very securley and have paid a admin to go and look around to makesure i did it right.
    I am currently building a website
    I have paypal
    I have a bank account

Im just wondering what else i need and how much it would cost?

Thanks in Advanced.

Im just wondering what else i need and how much it would cost?
    It is hard to say, since you are going to sell shell accounts (eggdrops?) and basic IRCD you may need to find a network that has some kind of ddos protection (you don't want your server going down every day!).

You then need to consider registering as a legal company, LLC? Ltd? depending where you live, I would advise that you talk to a lawyer.

Then support costs, outsourcing may be good idea for a start-up company.

I'm sure someone will add to this

good luck

I already have a ddos protected server for irc. Though im thinking it's not worth hosting irc as i can see from posts here you can make some alright money with webhosting.

I have a support team already about 13 of us who will be on different times of the day so we will kinda support 24/7.

I have some money saved up to buy things i need i really wanna make this work so the more information you guys give me i would appreciate it.

hey im in the same boat as you, but im just selling hosting, but how much does it cost to get your company registered legal?

Originally posted by torelliwebhost
    hey im in the same boat as you, but im just selling hosting, but how much does it cost to get your company registered legal?
    It depends on where you live. Like in America where I live it costs a lot less then compared to New York.

Ok here is a list of thing what you will need to get done.
    1. Go to www.incfile.com and corporate your business. Why corporate not a DBA? Because this way you protecting your self from a company, if anything happen to your business you are protected from it.
    2. Get a merchant account. When I was starting I open an account at Fleet Bank now it is Bank of America they have a really good program for small business for Business account and Merchant accounts.
    3. Deeside what software you will use for Billing, Support etc… and purchase some licenses or lease it.
    4. Write a business plan
    5. Purchase incurrence for your business.
    6. Promote your business locally and online.

How would i promte it locally. Im from australia and i know alot of people don't look through the paper for webhosting packages..

ALLiNET - what does bank of america charge for payment processing?

or do you just use them for the merchant accoun, and use something else as ur cc gateway?

so please tell me, im in Canada, Ontario would it cost a lot to get my company registered?

Hi,
    I'm also in Canada, Ontario

I registered my company for $60.00 for 5 years.

Throu the canada government online.

You can pay by credit card and have your business licence immediately. You can print it off. You can also phone them and have one mailed to you. Which I also did.

If you are making more than $30,000 a year than you will also need a GST number. If you aren't making that a year than you have the option of either signing up for it now or waiting till you are making $30,000 a year

Catherine

News Paper does not work well here ether.
    I send fliers out to business; look in your yellow pages there should be a service that can provide you with advertising locally.

Bank Of America some how setup for me also account with Autorize.Net in order to accept a cc online.

Start out with a decent website!!

I think the most important factor in starting any biz online is
    to have a decent and professional looking website.

If you don't have a budget allowing you to pay for some
    custom design by all mean get a professional template.

I will recommend AllWebCo or TemplateMonster and get it
    customized. The customization can be costly so shop around.
    I read from a yahoo group that toptexasdesigns.com offer
    a fulll template customization for only $45.00. So you might want
    to give it a try.

Too many hosting biz are going under for 1 reason !! Their
    website sucks and they blame their failure on their advertising budget!!

Good luck to your new web host biz,

Jesuss.

Originally posted by Torith
    It depends on where you live. Like in America where I live it costs a lot less then compared to New York.
    It's cheaper in America than it is in New York? Isn't New York in America? Last time I checked it was.

It costs about ~ $300 to get an LLC in NY, AFAIK.

Thanks,
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

elix, I think Torith meant that in the state in which (s)he lives in America it's cheaper than NY. For businesses registering here in Pennsylvania, you can read http://www.paopen4business.state.pa....p?a=3&q=440660 for prices.

I was talking about how I live in Montana, USA and it is cheaper then compared to New York, USA . Basically to show that even in a country prices can change .

Originally posted by elix
    It's cheaper in America than it is in New York? Isn't New York in America? Last time I checked it was.

It costs about ~ $300 to get an LLC in NY, AFAIK.

Thanks,

I suggest you get yourself a partner who has some experience in this field. That way you guys can think up of new sales deals etc. nicely.
    Techy Bubble

A Truly Remarkable Web Hosting Is Coming Soon! We won't change the world or anything. We will just make it better....