Windows or Linux for Game servers

Ok, I need your opinions, is windows or linux better for running game servers?

I say linux what about you?
    Last edited by antonym66; 06-01-2005 at 08:07 PM.

Re: Windows or Linux

Originally posted by antonym66
    Ok, I need your opinions, is windows or linux better for running game servers?

I say linux what about you?
    I'm sure this has been addressed many times before.

However, FWIW, I say that they both have their strengths and weaknesses within the realm of gameservers. You just have to make the decision of which strengths you want and which weaknesses you are willing to accept and thereby arrive at a conclusion that works for you. As always, YMMV (Your mileage may vary).

I searched, and i didnt find windows vs linux related to game servers, if someone find it please post a link.

I want high power, stable and reliable. Which OS will deliver the best performance?

It's just your own personal preference. If you like windows, go with that. If linux, then linux. Personally, I recommend linux for the best performance in gameservers as would any game server tech out there.
    ServerTag Technologies - Everything you need for hosting activity
    A Canadian company providing top notch site hosting, servers and colocation services

Originally posted by ushdlew
    It's just your own personal preference. If you like windows, go with that. If linux, then linux. Personally, I recommend linux for the best performance in gameservers as would any game server tech out there.
    I've actually heard from a few sources that a finely tuned Windows box can outperform a Linux box for gameservers, especially when using Opteron proccessors (tests show that a Dual Opteron can hold about 3x the ammount of gameserver clients vs. a similar Dual Xeon config).

Originally posted by jslivko
    I've actually heard from a few sources that a finely tuned Windows box can outperform a Linux box for gameservers, especially when using Opteron proccessors (tests show that a Dual Opteron can hold about 3x the ammount of gameserver clients vs. a similar Dual Xeon config).
    Ive heard something like this, but Im not sure about triple... Also yes windows does out perform linux for game most popular games such as all HL servers, even though windows has some problems, which can be fixed with a reboot

it also depends on your admin skills.

If you are good with linux, then i would suggest linux because you can save resources etc...

however, linux can be daunting and setting things up in windows can be alot easier...

Originally posted by RandyT
    Ive heard something like this, but Im not sure about triple... Also yes windows does out perform linux for game most popular games such as all HL servers, even though windows has some problems, which can be fixed with a reboot
    .... but you shouldn't have to reboot! AFAIK, one of the reasons that Windows outperforms Linux is that HL, etc. were written on Windows and ported to Linux.
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

Originally posted by jslivko
    .... but you shouldn't have to reboot! AFAIK, one of the reasons that Windows outperforms Linux is that HL, etc. were written on Windows and ported to Linux.
    Yup it should be restarted because I have nothing better to do Plus I can have it automatically restart and have the game servers start up as a service WOAH I KNOW HUH, plus linux is harder to use the windows

plus linux is harder to use the windows
    *please* don't get me started.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

Yup it should be restarted because I have nothing better to do Plus I can have it automatically restart and have the game servers start up as a service WOAH I KNOW HUH.
    You can actually have the gameservers start up on boot in Linux via either cron or running a shell script on boot . As for the rebooting, servers were not meant to be rebooted.

O well, windows 4 me all the way...

Linux is probably better from a host standpoint, although what system you use should be dependant on your own strengths. Some game engines are slow to release Linux server support, but Windows control panels are not as plentiful as Linux versions.

Security can be an issue. Not trying to start a flame war here but Linux is less likely to have security problems if for no other reason than there are more kiddy hackers playing on Windows than Linux. Any system can be broken, but Windows servers seem to be a more frequent target.

Just my 2 cents and probably worth half of that. LOL
    Game control panels - control your game world your way. Server-Genie.com
    http://server-genie.com

I can tell you from experience, LINUX is the way to go. Alot more stable and once you get the hang of a text based OS its alot easier to keep yourself organized and stay ontask! The only downside mostly, is some games don't support linux, so you won't be able to run certain games.

Excellent, thank you very much for the information.

Originally posted by BethSG
    Linux is probably better from a host standpoint, although what system you use should be dependant on your own strengths. Some game engines are slow to release Linux server support, but Windows control panels are not as plentiful as Linux versions.

Security can be an issue. Not trying to start a flame war here but Linux is less likely to have security problems if for no other reason than there are more kiddy hackers playing on Windows than Linux. Any system can be broken, but Windows servers seem to be a more frequent target.

Just my 2 cents and probably worth half of that. LOL

Yes its true linux is more stable, and more secure, but what information are they going to steal from game servers? Windows out performs linux with game servers especially HL servers, but linux is better at uptime. I know windows has a big problem with memory leaks but I dont mind restarting my servers every once in a while, no customers will complain because I would do it like around 2 or 3am.

I've heard Linux is better for running game servers, however I have never had a linux game server so I cannot confirm this for myself.
    ColoInSeattle - From 1U to cage space colocation in Seattle
    ServerStadium - Affordable Dedicated Servers
    Come visit our 18k sq ft. facility in Seattle!
    Managed Private Cloud | Colocation | Disaster Recovery | Dedicated Servers

We've run HL servers under both Windows and Linux and didn't notice any appreciable difference between them. However there were other games that liked Windows better.

If you talk to a Linux programmer/administrator they'll grumble that the games should be written better amoung other unkind things. But we live in the real world, not the perfect one and must make do with what we have.

The bottom line is our game customers want something that runs without frequent crashes at a low ping. If I can use Linux to accomplish that (mostly because I'm more comfortable with it) then I'll use it. But there is still no denying the fact that Windows is more game friendly. Most games are developed under the Windows environment and there are some that will only run under Windows.

Originally posted by BethSG
    We've run HL servers under both Windows and Linux and didn't notice any appreciable difference between them. However there were other games that liked Windows better.

If you talk to a Linux programmer/administrator they'll grumble that the games should be written better amoung other unkind things. But we live in the real world, not the perfect one and must make do with what we have.

The bottom line is our game customers want something that runs without frequent crashes at a low ping. If I can use Linux to accomplish that (mostly because I'm more comfortable with it) then I'll use it. But there is still no denying the fact that Windows is more game friendly. Most games are developed under the Windows environment and there are some that will only run under Windows.
    Yeah, but most providers will say linux is better because it saves them money, which isnt always true. Most data centers will only charge $20 a month or like theplanet, free with their total control servers. If you use windows on a dual opteron 250 or better then your going to be able to hold so many servers and yes win2k3 is more stable then the other window servers they have. Also one of the best providers I know, NuclearFallOut, uses windows on their opterons and xeons and their servers are great, good registration and everyones happy. BTW nice control panel Beth.

IMHO both Linux and Windows can run well, but it depends on the people who set them up, how much experience they have with that system and how well they keep up with new developments. If the system isn't set up and tweaked properly it will have security flaws, poor performance and a multitude of errors. It can be difficult to get answers from MS but if you have a sys admin who's good with NT and knows his/her way through the MS "help" system that would be the best way to go with game hosting.

And if my own Linux people are reading this - Bill has a gun to my head, he made me type this, honest! LOL

Thanks Randy. }:>)