vbulletin vs. others

Hi all,
    I am designing a website for an organization that has about 70 members. I expect about 60 of them to be on this site. The site also needs to be SUPER private. Registration needs to be confirmed (by phone, so an extra field will be needed in the forum registration form). Nobody should be able to view the forums who isn't registered.
    Anyway, I was trying to decided whether to get vbulletin or SMF (or PHPBB). I thought vbulletin would be the best for this, as it is easy to use and set permissions, plus I have heard it is very secure (I have had PHPBB hacked more than once).
    I don't have a budget either.

Thanks,

Go with vbulletin. You wont regret.
    http://www.empresasdehosting.com
    THE WEB HOSTING INDEX IN SPANISH
    http://www.empresasdehosting.net
    THE WEB HOSTING DIRECTORY IN SPANISH

Even though I'm a phpBB fan, I think you should go with vBulletin. phpBB doesn't include enough functions to match your requirements.

Originally posted by CyberAlien
    Even though I'm a phpBB fan, I think you should go with vBulletin. phpBB doesn't include enough functions to match your requirements.
    SMF does though.

I personally don't like SMF all that much right now. It has more features than phpBB but it doesn't look as nice at all. Plus, the SMF template system is almost impossible to use.
    Looks like vbulletin will be it. Thanks guys,

Phbb

I would choose phpbb, which I use often

I'd go with vBulletin. I used to run a UBB, and have been using a vBulletin for the past four years and have never had any problems with it and always have found it easy to manage.

I personally use SMF if I have an option. True there are less themes for SMF but after looking through their site & forums, I found the Theme system to be fairly powerful. It's just not as friendly for a person without much PHP knowledge. There is a site (one run by Oldiesmann and i believe there might be another one by someone else, you can find the links in the official SMF forums) that has most / all of the publicly announced SMF themes installed to give you an idea on the ones currently available and what can be done.

That being said, I do have half a dozen or more forums using SMF currently and no vbulletin ones and haven't used vb as much as SMF. So I may be biased

Originally posted by adb22791
    I personally don't like SMF all that much right now. It has more features than phpBB but it doesn't look as nice at all. Plus, the SMF template system is almost impossible to use.
    How so, anyone with a basic knowldege of PHP, or anyone who can follow simple echo's should be able to get to grips with it no problems.

People see a bit of php and automatically think it has to be hard, it's certainly no harder than learning a totally different system from scratch.

Originally posted by etechsupport2
    One can manage vBulletin more easily than SMF and overall it's more secure.
    It is? How so.

And you will find that most haven't used SMF so therefore aren't qualified to comment. Likewise goes for the "it's more secure" comment, I see no proof of that.

FWIW, I should add that I am on the SMF team so I may appear bias, I'd like to beleive though that that isn't the case, if I thought vB was better for my needs, then I'd use vB, however I don't feel it is. My position of the SMF team is my way of giving something back to SMF since it's not a paid solution.

You are right as per your observation and experience with SMF, one point you should also consider that mostly people are constraint to change, due to so many reason.

I have gone through from so many comments from the ultimate users in different forums, either who has shifted from vB to SMF or vice versa, but vote is going most favorable to vB.

If you dont have no budget then you cant get vB. It's not for free.

I've tried a few and always go back to vb id go for it if you can afford it.

I know someone who has the latest version of vBulletin even with a security mod installed & they got hacked three times. It can happen to ANY board.

I use PHPBB, but I've never had a problem with it ever. *knocks on wood*

Go with VB!
    PlecoFanatics.com - The Ultimate Pleco Community!

Listen here mate, if money is not an issue, then their is no other choice than vbulletin. Period.

He did say however that he has no budget.

Basically, if you have no money to spend, SMF would be my choice. If you do have money to spend, either SMF or VB.

Personally, even with money behind the project, I like SMF. I used to use phpBB for everything but after switching to SMF, i refuse to go back and try to actively convert anyone that is willing to SMF. I find it much easier to maintain and much more secure. SMF isn't as known but that doesn't mean it is worse (or conversly, better in some respects) than VB or other choices. Every product started somewhere.

I'm not bashing VB, I ust like the method & implemenation of SMF and the fact that it is free is a good bonus.

vbulletin is better more professional and organized

Guess I best upgrade my SMF to vB then.

Originally posted by adb22791
    Looks like vbulletin will be it. Thanks guys,

SMF is worst

PHPBB is free and OK

VB is better than those

IPB is the best of all.

Originally posted by spechackers
    IPB is the best of all.
    ...and, yet, you don't use it on your site.
    I've used IPB for over 3 years, and really like it. A major reason is that I can integragte Photopost with it.

Scotty_B, I'd like to know how SMF stacks up against IPB.
    < !-- Place sig here //-- >

Since this is a very private forum and it will be so hidden that you will not need much security, it would be best to go with phpBB because it is free, offers almost everything you need, and can me modfiied to your wanting. There are also very many designs and templates to choose from.
    Phlint! Web Media [http://phlint.com]
    [email protected]

Originally posted by snokrash257
    Scotty_B, I'd like to know how SMF stacks up against IPB.
    Have never administered an IPB before so couldn't say from that side of things, as an end user, I prefair SMF, although that could just be a familiarity thing as it's what I'm most used to.

As I think I said earlier in this thread, I'm probably not 100% impartial given I'm on the SMF support team (my way of giving something back in return for a free product) .

I dont see how anyone can say SMF is worse than phpBB though. It may have a smaller userbase which does mean less mods or themes at this time but I wouldn't say it was worse. And I found most of the options I had to install as mods in phpbb are already in SMF.

I'm not tied in with SMF in anyway, just a very satisfied phpBB -> SMF multiple board owner. I find it works better & faster, MUCH easier for updates (most are just a matter of a couple clicks in the admin panel) and overall, etc.

Not many people are actually addressing the thread starter's concerns.

vBulletin, as far as I know, allows you to do the following:
    - Add extra fields in signup
    - Moderate signups
    - Restrict the board to logged in and confirmed members only
    - Restrict forum boards and categories to certain membergroups

It sounds like exactly what you would want. Don't forget to add
    Code:
    <meta name="robots" content="noindex,noarchive,nofollow,nocache" />
    which will prevent major search engines from indexing, archiving, following links on, and caching your pages.

I've used SMF before but found the permissions a little confusing offhand. Haven't worked with vB as an admin for a year or two so I won't comment on the ease of use.

SMF will do all of the above as well. The official forums have threads on how to do all of them

I believe phpBB will but i haven't added fields to the signup myself

Originally posted by snokrash257
    ...and, yet, you don't use it on your site.
    lmfao. I find it funny how some people are praising a message board, but you go to their site & they are using the one they said they don't like or something else.

Go with vb, and have it set that it needs admin approval
    www.Yekaroo.com - Your Chinese Radio Online!

I like vbulletin, however i am looking forwared to ipb 2.1 its gonna kick a**!

I would have to say vb, IPB is also good but it's license change pissed a few people off.

Regarding my previous comment, it should be
    Code:
    <meta name="robots" content="noarchive,nofollow,noindex,nosnippet" />

The acid and alkali test is to speak to people who have already used both vbulletin and others. They can make out the real difference.

Ultimately itís purely your choice or decision if you think others are better feel free to use and if you think vb is better feel free to use it.

IPB does all this also.
    You can add extra fields, for sign ups, easily, through the admin. Youy can make the board so that only registered users can see it, etc.
    There's, also, still a fairly good community surrounding it--although, not as goodas it used to be, since, as someone mentioned, they changed their license.
    < !-- Place sig here //-- >

I refuse to use IPB after they removed their free version.
    vbulletin it is then!