Thread: Go Daddy

Go Daddy

Could I have a super short summary about them. I want to know about people's experience with them.

Also, Does anybody know there billing methods?

In terms of domain registration, GoDaddy is a great choice. It's easy to transfer in/out. Free services include Domain Forwarding/Masking/Parking/Locking, Email Forwards, DNS Changes...
    You can pay by Credit Card, Paypal, check or GoodAsGold.
    HostingSearch.org
    www.hostingsearch.org
    Compare Top Web Hosting Plans
    Find The Lowest Domain Prices

You might use the "Search" function here at WebHostingTalk to gather information about various companies.

Some people like GoDaddy, some people hate them.

I use their backorder service through one of their resellers along with every other backorder service there is. My biggest complaint with GoDaddy is their checkout procedure. You go through page after page of ads asking whether you want this or that or this again. And everytime I use them, the checkout process gets longer and longer. Its ridiculous IMO.

I haven't had these problem, but apparently some people have lost domains because they were "accused" of being spammers or having credit card issues. I don't know the facts, but apparently GoDaddy is quick to judge whether you're guilty or not especially if you live outside the United States.

There were also issues a while back where some folks lost domains when GoDaddy did some database management. Most people were able to call GoDaddy and get their domains restored, but some people claimed that their domains were stolen.

Basically, the more domains you buy and the longer you deal with registrars, the more you find that things happen - problems develop and that there is no perfect registrar.

However, it's all what works for you. I have to register domains often when I'm speaking with a client on the telephone. I have found no faster way to get in, register a domain, and then get back to what I was doing than my eNom reseller account. I love it because it works for me. Yes I've had minor issues with eNom, but they get resolved and we all get back to making money.
    You may delay, but time will not. --- Benjamin Franklin

The reason Im interested in them so much is because they have an "coming soon" page that you could edit so it fits your site more. I havn't found no where else like that.

But if you use some traffic revenue solution like www.Sedo.com you make money from your parking page.

What's a traffic revenue solution?

Originally posted by I The Man
    What's a traffic revenue solution?
    They offer PPC (Pay Per Click) advertising based on keywords which you or they choose and then share the revenue with you based on the number of specific click-throughs.

For example, if you go to the site www.vacationservices.com you will see various advertised links that match the keywords of "vacation services." If someone clicks on one of these links, the advertiser pays Sedo a specific amount like 10 or 20 cents (the more the advertiser pays - the better position his ad gets). Sedo then basically splits the revenue with you. It may not seem like a lot, but it the domain gets a reasonable amount of traffic, it can add up. Some of my domains related to income taxes made quite a bundle this tax season in the U.S.

To me it's a better solution than just having a parking page that says "This site coming soon." or "Under Construction."

BTW, MODS... that domain VacationServices.com is NOT mine and therefore I didn't violate forum rules.

But if you don't list your domain on sedo as for sale, you cannot use their parking service.
    HostingSearch.org
    www.hostingsearch.org
    Compare Top Web Hosting Plans
    Find The Lowest Domain Prices

Originally posted by gtahosting
    But if you don't list your domain on sedo as for sale, you cannot use their parking service.
    Not true... I have several domains that are parked with Sedo that are not for sale.

Originally posted by 4solutions
    Not true... I have several domains that are parked with Sedo that are not for sale.
    Agreed. I do also and I might add that sedo is doing almost as well as DomainSponsor these days.

Originally posted by gtahosting
    In terms of domain registration, GoDaddy is a great choice. It's easy to transfer in/out. Free services include Domain Forwarding/Masking/Parking/Locking, Email Forwards, DNS Changes...
    You can pay by Credit Card, Paypal, check or GoodAsGold.
    I'm totally agree with you. GoDaddy is the best thing that came to my life (ok a bit exaggrating). They do campaigns sometimes which is so useful as well.

What is DNS Changes?

Originally posted by I The Man
    What is DNS Changes?
    DNS settings have to do with the Domain Name System which basically converts your "TextDomainName.com" into an IP (Internet Protocal) number address that directs you to the server where your website is hosted.

You are supposed to have at least two DNS NameServers listed with the registry. GoDaddy, like most major registrars will let you use their nameservers, or you can change the settings in your GoDaddy control panel to specify other third party nameservers like EasyDNS or you can even create your own nameservers if your hosting situation will allow it.