Speed up Page Loading

I think I have a problem with my server which I think is an apache issue. Whenever I click on a link to an internal page, there's a lag of about 5-10 seconds where the page is completely white then the whole page appears.

For example: cubed3.com takes a while to load - there aren't many php scripts running, and it's usually loaded a lot faster on lower spec systems.

Any help on sorting this would be most welcome.

Thanks,
    | jb
      0 Not allowed!

Upload Guardian 2 - Malicious Upload Scanner - Windows and Linux!
    Instantly scan uploaded files
    Get notified when released
      0 Not allowed!

This type of issue can be caused by a any number of problems ranging from poor apache tuning to mysql/php issues to pulling 3rd party URLS and even DNS.

You will need to dig in your logs, take a look at network connections and get look at apache's server status page.

I have often seen this problem on php/mysql systems where apache is not closing connections to mysql. As a result, apache must wait for a free connection or connection allocation becomes very slow.

I have also seen this due to remote includes or ad pages that call remote sites. For example, if you are doing a remote file include and that server is slow, it can slow down your site. Remote ad images can also cause problems if they are within tables due to rendering issues.

We save you time, money, and frustration by handling the server management tasks required to run an online business successfully.
    No prodding required. We just do it right the first time. Red Hat, MySQL, Plesk, and cPanel certified staff.
      0 Not allowed!

FWIW, Internet Explorer shows the page as it is loaded rather than waiting until it's finished unlike Opera. As a result, instead of a white page, you see things appearing as they load.

Firefox renders it as it appears as well. And it comes up pretty quickly (for me).

I don't know how much mod_gzip will help you since you've got a rather image-heavy site going on. By default, mod_gzip will only compress text, and that's not what's slowing you down, I don't think.
      0 Not allowed!

IE and Firefox both measure all elements of a table before it is rendered. If you have content inside of a table whose size cannot be determined quickly (such as pulling a file from a slow remote server), you will see delays. This is one reason why width/height tags are important for images. This was the behavior for IE 6 and AFAIK it has not changed.

I've seen this often with 3rd party stats programs that use a tracking gif or javascript.

I don't expect rednering to be a problem but rather apache. As the page initially loads and then it waits to download content.

We save you time, money, and frustration by handling the server management tasks required to run an online business successfully.
    No prodding required. We just do it right the first time. Red Hat, MySQL, Plesk, and cPanel certified staff.
      0 Not allowed!