View Poll Results: Which is going to dominate?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Linux

14 30.43%
  • Windows

26 56.52%
  • Others

6 13.04%

Is it Windows or Linux.

Is windows or Linux going to dominate the future,

Which will be in more demand and use by the people.

I think both of them are terrible and none of them is going to dominate!
    I think something new will come and dominate the future.
    (I said it about these OSes as the server)

but as the OS for home usage, windows will dominate.

I dunno really considering microsofts war with linux, i wouldnt like to say.
    Regards

I reckon Linux will "dominate" the server side of things and Windows will "dominate" the desktop side of things.

Im hoping to see something new and innovative in my life time. In my opinion innovation is at an all time low in the OS/Hardware sector of home and business computing.

What I'd really like to see in my lifetime is the demise of the hard drive:

cdw rep: Thank you for calling cdw how can I help you today?
    me: Yes, I'll take a 1tb stick of your amd nvram drive for 19.95 please...
    cdw rep: No problem, give me a moment and I'll have it teleported right over.

LOL!
    I doubt i'll live to see the teleport thing
    But yeah i somehow think microsofts going to dominate everything, i can maybe see them combining the two together, or Microsoft start using backdoor tactics like start employing aload of ex linux programmers.
    Regards

I think the most of PCs will be replaced by portable and home theatre type media devices and in that case I can see why would manufacurers of those devices chose opens source OS that they can freely modify to fit their device. So, my vote goes for linux.

I think it is dangerous to have just two leading OS's. I hope that many new innovative designs will succeed Windows and Linux. Who knows, it may be me making them.
    Remember the name:

Jordan Dolan

Regards,

Jord
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius

MS Linux clearly *cries* We all know MS will probably give in and release thier own linux version

I'm surprised, no MAC users commenting? I'd say GO MAC then.
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

I think that linux will do well but not as well as microsoft because linux are not making much money and you need money to expand.
    My Blog - www.Bakie.net
    My Entertainment site - www.SpudMud.com

I think something we’ve all forgotten is time span.

How far into the future are we talking? My lifetime? My children’s? My children’s children’s?
    I voted for Windows, since I definitely believe that even up to my children’s children’s lifetime, Windows will dominate the home computer scene.

What about google entering into the war, i read an article in hosting tech sometimes ago and it happend to say that google has its own OS.

If Google comes, will it dominate as it does in search.

I think M$ to dominate, nothing can beat them.

Originally posted by spechackers
    What about google entering into the war, i read an article in hosting tech sometimes ago and it happend to say that google has its own OS.

If Google comes, will it dominate as it does in search.

I think M$ to dominate, nothing can beat them.
    As soon as Google try and do anything not related to Geographic data collection and processing (which is basically what they currently do) , they will fall flat on their face.
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius

I think i want to see some changes in the near future..
    www.DefyStudios.com ___Interactive Design

How about Mac OSX?
    Charles Beliveau | NymixWeb.com
    Proven success since 2001!

I personally think that Windows will continue to dominate the desktop market, and Linux will continue to dominate the server market.

Microsoft have promised to increase the security of their futute products, critics may not believe this, but I for one believe Microsoft are aware of the exploits their products are prone to.

I personally use Suse 9.1 personal, in most people's eye's this is a slightly rubbishy distro, but I do prefer it to Windows, and by default it was configured pretty much how I need, as I don't have the time to play around. A few third party applications ensured I was up and running perfectly, and the KDE GUI is amazing, even though it lacks some commands and the option to compile in shell etc.

I'm by no means a Linux fan, neither a Windows fan. I gave both a chance and Linux is the operating system which seemed to suit me a lot better as a desktop. If distro's of Linux become more newbie friendly, there is definately a chance of more migrations and due to the technological increase in people these days, Linux may stand a chance in the desktop industry.

Windows got in there first, and certain unsupported applications, with no plans on future *nix builds, and reference to certain file formats deemed illegal to run on *nix systems due to patents, also makes mass migrations less likely to occur.

But who knows, for all we know Google may be creating an evolutionary desktop now
    Last edited by Jeff - Exceed; 06-01-2005 at 06:26 PM.
    BeeServe
    * Rock solid shared & reseller UK webhosting. No downtime™ *
    Now offering fully managed VPS servers

Windows will win when IBM & HP stop selling linux servers. Until then, they will both have their respective places. Linux will win if/when they get the same driver & app support as windwos. if.

I wish to add to that.

I do believe if Linux does become to dominate the desktop market, it will effectively become similar to Windows, regarding the availability of exploits.

As long as Windows dominates the desktop market it will be subjected to these. I also believe 80 percent of webservers hacked are of Linux distros. This is because its easier to exploit servers running *nix as they are in the majority
    BeeServe
    * Rock solid shared & reseller UK webhosting. No downtime™ *
    Now offering fully managed VPS servers

also if there is an new exploit in linux based systems, it takes times to patch.

people use linux coz , web servers

1. PHP and its based scripts.

2. Cheap

Windows is more secure than Linux.

Php can be run in windows, but not that perfect.

Bill will prolly end up getting his hands on linux too therefore - linux may win.

Got tired of both, though less of Linux. I'd rather agree with Mouldy_punk

Originally posted by spechackers
    also if there is an new exploit in linux based systems, it takes times to patch.

people use linux coz , web servers

1. PHP and its based scripts.

2. Cheap

Windows is more secure than Linux.

Php can be run in windows, but not that perfect.
    Your name is spechackers and your making totally false statements about security?

PHP fine in both windows and linux, its just more efficiently run in linux, LInux patches for exploits come out LONG before they do for windows systems, MIcrosoft can take 2-3 days to release a patch, some exploits are still unfixed and are a few months old.