Can someone Recommend A Host

Not only am I looking for a place that can hosts two of my friend’s domains(A blog and a phpbb forum) but one that wont shut you down when someone makes false allegations. Things like, ohhh I don’t know, the site’s owner is a terrorist and tells people how to make van bombs. Hehe, I need a host that looks into actual facts.

If you actually care here’s a bit of a babble, if not, just jump down to the reply button and help a girl out.

I mod for a board that a few members recently got into a scuffle with this fundamentalist board. The site’s owner yelled at the users to stop debating in their ethics and morality form when we were brutally spamed by a few of their members. A “goodbye” message was even issued on their site (deleted within 10 min) and we thought that was that it

A few days later our site was suspended by its hosts. The Christian board claimed that the owner was a terrorist and that people on our board threatening his. They told the hosts that if you googled for our site’s name and van bombs, you would find a wealth of information. They even went as far as asking for this owners address so that they could contact the authorities because he should be arrested. All lies of course and yet the hosts didn’t even do a simple google search or even actually look at our board before killing it.

The distressed owner emailed them and told them what really happened and we were back up within a day. I mean some of the things they accused of our site were so horrendous that I still can’t understand why the hosts didn’t check things out first. The worst was at first the owner couldn’t even login to get his files so he could just move hosts.

Now that were back up he just want to ignore that is all happened. Also we’ve had trouble before with the hosts accidentally changing stuff on our site…twice. It only took a day to fix, but they didn’t seem to actually care that it was their fault. They admitted it but said pretty much “oh well”

It is an awful place and we need to change. I’m hoping of finding a nicer place and presenting towith it. I think that if he is shown a host that isn’t retarded, he’ll go for it.
    Last edited by Melly; 05-26-2005 at 09:52 PM.

A lot depends on your price range, and what you are expecting ?

I don't think many realistic hosts would have suspended you for that. It sounds like a bad decision was made.

WHT is a great place to start.
    GenerousWebHosting.com Home of Generous George the Red Monster.
    24/7 Live Chat Support - 99.9% Uptime - 30 Day Money Back Policy

So, who is your current host?

Well I was just going to look at the lists of hosts, but I wanted to see if there was one that people liked. One that's good for a message board and a blog.

Also I will admit we can be a bunch of jerks, but we normally keep it on our own site. I'm worried that a random bigger host might shut us down because we have a bad habit of ripping on each other.

Its almost silly when I say it out loud but I want to find a host that wont warn you to be good because you told someone that you will perform a virgin sacrifice to the Jello God. (The Christian site still "reports" us to the hosts. They forgot to mention about the Jello God though)

So I need a host that promotes free speech, no matter how silly that speech might be.

gpinzone- You know, since were still in **** with this while situation right now, I rather not give out any names. of our site, the site that lied, or the host. Although once it's all over I will warn people about our current host.

Originally posted by Melly
    gpinzone- You know, since were still in **** with this while situation right now, I rather not give out any names. of our site, the site that lied, or the host. Although once it's all over I will warn people about our current host.
    I'm sorry that such a thing happened to you Melly...

I do believe that anyone of the hosts which posts in here would be good enough to host your site. Usually the people who posts in here and if you do a search and find nothing or few or good comments (a few bad in between), I'm sure they are good enough to host your site. It's interesting coz I had someone host with me once before and was hosting a blog.

If I'm not mistaken, they were discussing something about Christianity and it all suddenly turned to politics and well, you guessed it. I got more than 3 emails telling me that they're a cult and they should be reported and etc.

As a host, of coz I did something... I sent them replies to their email. I included the government office which handles such stuff, the contact and etc. Sad to say, I never did hear from them again

I'm seriously wondering where these people get to know about those guyz or how they found out about the blog and etc. Are they actually too free with nothing to do but complain about someone else? I know there are people out there who is TOO FREE and with TOO MUCH TIME on their hands. I sure wish I could be one of them

Anyway Melly, just checkout people's signatures, checkout the offer section as well. I'm sure you'll come up with something. Before you do anything, make sure you test their presales and support!

Take Care. Have a nice day!
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

Melly, I think I know hosts that may be a good choice for you; I have researched many and found some that I find OK.

Take Care!
    Web Hosting Reviews — based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Originally posted by Nadabrahma
    Melly, I think I know hosts that may be a good choice for you; I have researched many and found some that I find OK.

Take Care!
    Well, I have had my sites hosted with the following providers and DO NOT recommend them:

hostsave.com
    ipowerweb.com
    micfo.com

I have had serious down-time with all three of the above providers using their shared hosting plans. I am currently using ServInt.com's VPS product and have had no problems.

Just so that you know, my sites are not hogs. I'm running regular websites with static html pages. Each site has a discussion forum (YaBB SE or SMF) usually with no more than 20 users online at a time. My sites would run great (fast and responsive) for weeks and then suddenly slow to a crawl or stop responding completely. Then I'd spend several days with their techs trying to get them to fix the problem. Then everything would be OK again for several weeks. What's happening is that they're all putting too many accounts on their shared servers.

I've learned that you get what you pay for.
    Last edited by bluecrab; 05-27-2005 at 07:56 AM.

I've seen many relatively small hosting companies close accounts before due to false accusations. Most of them don't even bother to investigate and search the facts before closing an account without warning, to a user who trusted that company and paid for that service.

I really think a hosting company should at least TRY to investigate and stand by it's user until he is proven guilty.

Melly, you should be more specific and post how much disk space will you need and how much bandwidth.

Melly,

The majority of hosts are professional and support freespeech, as long as you and the others who are 'ripping' on each other aren't literally flooding each other there should be no problem.

Things like, ohhh I don’t know, the site’s owner is a terrorist and tells people how to make van bombs. Hehe, I need a host that looks into actual facts.
    Free speech is legal.
    Find a real host.

I can tell you, from first hand experience, that micfo.com shoots first and asks questions later (guilty until proven innocent).

When I first signed on with Micfo, I inadvertently reported myself as a spammer and they disabled my account faster than you can say "Monty Python". Let me explain!!

I use SpamCop (www.spamcop.net) to report spam. Well, a day after I moved my domains to Micfo, I went about my usual daily routine of reporting spam. Well, I had forgotten to update my mail routes with SpamCop (for trusted domains) and SpamCop sent some of my reports to the abuse department at Micfo.

Instead of actually investigating the matter (by examining the headers) to see whether I was really spamming or not, they simply disabled my account. I experienced about 5 hours of down-time while I tried to explain what happened and get my account turned back on again. Eventually someone researched the problem and discovered that I was not a spammer.

Although I am partly to blame here, I would have expected their postmaster to verify any spam complaints before actually taking action. But, to be fair to Micfo, they did eventually investigate and did reactivate my account... five hours later.

That's ridiculous. Freedom of speech is a-ok with me unless you break some type of law (aka, saying that you're going to kill the president, literally, and setting times and places to do so).
    Imeanwebhosting.com - Shared cpanel hosting, 99.9% uptime.
    10 min average ticket responses, softaculous, rvsitebuilder, and more!
    Reliable, affordable shared hosting. I Mean Web Hosting!

I agree with everyone above, find a new host and move on

Good luck!

If you are looking for something that will be used for someone that is starting up a new site, you might want to look at some of the smaller packages, either way, take a look around this forum. There are tons of hosting companies and at least one of them should suit your needs in terms of cost and service.

Well I asked, its around 10 gigs a month, 300 mb of space. Although we're a growing board....

New information has also come to light. It seems that the hosts didn't shut him down until after at least 10 complaints from the other site, the last one being the terrorist one. They said that our site was being reported to the FBI and that the hosts too were being reported for doing nothing about it. The owner of the other site (Chirsitan remember, they don't lie right?) was ruthless and rather convincing, at least enough to shut down the site for a bit.

Soooo. Not so much the hosts fault as that that the other site is lying really damn well. I think that's why the owner of the site I mod on didn't change hosts within seconds of being shut down. The admin actually told me he hosts were really helpful. He doesn;t want to move because were still geting pokes from the other site and the hosts know the history of what's happening

Unless someone can point to a host that has a total free speech things going... One that wont take crap from a bigger chirstian site that knows lots of tricks to shut people down....I guess were staying for now.

Ah well I wasted your time. Should of asked the admin beforehand on if I could look for a new host.

You need to ask the host about that. Might try a host like DreamHost, or Lunarpages. My gut feeling is they might be something 4 u.
    Web Hosting Reviews — based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

webscorpion has a very reputable name. check them out