ip address fraud

Web servers everywhere utilize the ability to identify a computer by its ip address. That is, when a user goes to a website, their IP is revealed to the server. Now, that IP is not necessarily the IP of the machine being used to access the server. Proxies can be used, MAC addresses can be changed, etc.

However, assuming that no proxy is being used, the MAC address is the same, and there is no other form of accessing a server being used that involves a real ip, how can a fake IP be created?

I ask because it seems like this is happening on my website. I don't care, as I'm not hurt by it or anything. Just seems like someone is having fun or something (maybe in preparation to vandalize my adsense or something? I dunno...)

I mean, through code. Can someone be, like, randomly generating IP addresses and faking HTTP packets or something?

In short, my question is this. How does my server determine the source IP of a request? In a packet it sent? How? What does it look like?

Thanks,

Jacob

Spoofing Ips?

The server needs a real ip address to establish a connection with you you cant fake your ip address when connecting to someone.
    I could tell you a joke about UDP. But I'm not sure you would get it!

Originally posted by Dan541
    The server needs a real ip address to establish a connection with you you cant fake your ip address when connecting to someone.

You can't fake your IP address when connecting to a site, but you can use proxy servers that mask your IP and make it impossible to figure out where the person is really comming from.

Kage_

Originally posted by Kage1

You can't fake your IP address when connecting to a site, but you can use proxy servers that mask your IP and make it impossible to figure out where the person is really comming from.

Kage_
    But that's not what the thread starter is asking. He is assuming that if no proxies are used, can it be spoofed, and this guy is saying that a legitimate IP is required to establish a connection.
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Including an RSS feed that you can syndicate!
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Unlimited vs. Unmetered bandwidth

Originally posted by HostingInsider
    But that's not what the thread starter is asking. He is assuming that if no proxies are used, can it be spoofed, and this guy is saying that a legitimate IP is required to establish a connection.
    Opps... Yes to answer the OP's question. Yes when your web server recieves a request, embeded in the packet is the IP address of the sender. There are software hacks that will Spoof this IP address and when you web server responds it responds to a bogus IP.

Kage_

TCP (used for web traffic) does a back-and-forth exchange that makes spoofing quite difficult. If you're on one of the networks in the return route (your server to that IP), you can spoof packets to the server and intercept the replies ("man in the middle" attack). Realistically, that means on the same subnet as one end or the other.

It's possible, but it's easier and safer to just crack into a few hundred Windows boxes and go from there.
    Game Servers are the next hot market!
    Slim margins, heavy support, fickle customers, and moronic suppliers!
    Start your own today!