AMD Sempron Vs. AMD Athlon XP

What do you guys think is better? Ive read mixed reviews of people claiming AMD Sempron is the newer/better version of the AMD Athlon XP. Then other people are claiming that the AMD Athlon XP are older but more powerful. I am not sure what to believe, as the pricing for the two are nearly identical (and in most cases, the sempron is more expensive than the athlon). Let me know your opinions on this or any evidence to help prove it. Thank you.

Go with Sempron for all prupose! If the sempron is socket 754 (754 pins), then you got a poorman's opteron.

If it's a socket A, then choose the sempron also. I think Athlon XP are all old leftovers. AMD no longer make new athlon xps, I believe. The old athlon xps are pretty hot, but the new semprons is extremely cool.

Most dedicated servers won't use 754 socket unless its for a 64 bit amd. What you have to remember the major difference between the the 2 is the cache. Most XP have 512 L2 cache were the sempron only has 256 L2 cache.

Only Barton core has 512K cache...

XP will run faster, but hotter as well.
    The Barton cores are pretty nice.

I'd suggest going with a 64. Best bang for the buck in my book.
    Check out my new Chrome Extension - Server Admin Tool
    frustratedtech.com - Helpful Server Tech Advice

If it's a Socket 462 Sempron, it's a rebranded Athlon XP. If it's a Socket 754, it's a slightly neutered Athlon64.

yes, the Socket "a" or 462 semprons are rebadged XPs, the Socket 754 semprons are amazing though, we've been using the paris core 3100+ semprons and these things are amazing!

model name : AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3100+
    stepping : 0
    cpu MHz : 1808.798
    cache size : 256 KB

Sure they only have the 256kb cache but these things can rip through some operations and price/performance is amazing.

A good Sempron 3100+, 1 gig ram, 80gig disk system can be built for ~325-350 for quality components... That is just unbeatable