Another spamming host?

Has anyone heard of ip01-hosting.net? They just sent me some spam about how I just registered a new domain and it should be hosted, and they'll give me 6 months free, etc etc. Anyone else gotten an email from them?
    Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.
    -- W.W. Ziege

No i havent, you should maybe ask where they obtained your email?

NOTE: iP01-Hosting.net does not send or support unsolicited email, this email is sent to you because you have been exclusively selected and invited to receive iP01's services. If you do not wish to hear from us regarding this invitation, please click on the link : Never contact me again.
    Well very odd, how was I "selected" if they had never gotten my email before? Yes... I shall be emailing them.

Oh and, I guess I should click the link?
    Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.
    -- W.W. Ziege

you have been 'exclusively' selected. does that mean you would be their only customer?

-- >

Haha, maybe, who knows.
    -- W.W. Ziege

How incredibly lame. I bet they'll claim they have thousands of customers and have been in business for years.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

Look at this!

My email to them....

Hi,

I was wondering how you obtained my email address? Do you just like
    searching WHOIS info? Don't do it again please, it's very annoying. I
    hope that link of yours isn't just a "Oh he read it let's send him
    more."

Good luck.
    And they're reply....

Hi,

Thanks for contacting us.

We would like to inform you that we have renewed your email address from
    our marketting list.
    Kindly drop by our web site - http://Ip01.net if you wish to get a
    hosting account for your future web site.

Should you require any assistance, please feel free to contact us again
    and have a nice day !

-------------------------------------------
    Thank you for supporting IP01.
    Should you require any assistance, please feel free to contact us again.

Where did I say that I ever wanted to be added back to their mailing list?!
    -- W.W. Ziege

Sounds like an automated spamming op. I would recommend that you report them to spamcop.
    You can also check their status and submit them at:
    http://www.rulesemporium.com/cgi-bin/uribl.cgi
    Blacknight
    ICANN accredited domain registrar

I already had submitted to spamcop, but I will submit them to that listing as well. Thanks.
    -- W.W. Ziege

You just let the scumbags know your email address is alive. Just delete it, report it or ignore it, but don't let them know it's a live address for your own sake (unless it's a throw-away address).

They're whole domain is blocked for me now. I shouldn't be getting anything from them again. I hope anyways. Yes, I knew that would tell them it's alive. I figured I'd at least *try* to get in touch with a real person. Oh well.
    -- W.W. Ziege

Originally posted by ZComm Daniel
    They're whole domain is blocked for me now. I shouldn't be getting anything from them again. I hope anyways. :) Yes, I knew that would tell them it's alive. I figured I'd at least *try* to get in touch with a real person. Oh well.
    Look at it this way. They are either spammers, or they are idiot's. Spammers spam, and idiot's just use a list of email addresses that they buy or have distributed to them and think "it's probably okay if I send an email to this list about my service". Anyone that clueless, certainly can't have any mind, idea or experience to run a web host anyway.

Either way, they are spammers and are idiot's. It's possible, though not common, that a competitor might get an account on a web host or use one that's an open relay or compromised to send spam emails promoting another company, but unless that's the case, there's no reason to ever try and get a hold of a real person and only confirm you're alive to their database.

I guess I forgot to ad dthat it was just a throw-away address. If it was any of my MAIN email addresses I would have just reprted and deleted and left all alone. I usually don't check the email address that they sent it to, and found it when I checked it today, so I figured "why not". Sorry if that makes me "clueless". The email itself was over a week old.

Edit: Sorry Tim, I *think* I read your post wrong. I thought you were talking about me. Sorry for the misunderstanding, but I'll leave the post I actually put in there for reference.
    Last edited by Daniel.L; 05-31-2005 at 07:11 PM.
    -- W.W. Ziege

No problem either way. Thanks though.

I've gotten lots of spam from them, they mine whois data for email addresses. It seems everytime I register a new domain, I can expect spam from them within a few days.
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Including an RSS feed that you can syndicate!
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Unlimited vs. Unmetered bandwidth