LiquidWeb sales - Am I over-reacting?

I've spent the past week pouring through WHT in an effort to find a dedicated Win2003 server at a solid provider in the $120-$160 price range (I've been at Rackspace for 3 yrs and I can no longer afford them).

I had my search narrowed down to ServerBeach, ServerMatrix, LayeredTech, and LiquidWeb. LiquidWeb was my frontrunner because they seem to have the fewest negative posts on WHT.

I contacted LiquidWeb today, asking them why their homepage shows dedicated servers starting at $134/mo (in 2 places) while the next page (the Dedicated Server page) shows them starting at $144/mo. I also mentioned how this issue, while possibly an innocent error, made me feel a little uneasy about selecting LW.

Their sales guy responded, mentioning that they had recently adjusted prices. Then, he asked me WHERE on their site I saw $134/mo. Um... I couldn't believe he was asking me this. I had specifically mentioned it's on their homepage in 2 places (just as I mention it above).

I then went to get him a screenshot and after refreshing the page again, I noticed that the text price just changed to $144. It's several hours later now and the graphic still remains at $134...

I wrote back, explaining my dismay that he didn't even bother to check their homepage when first responding to me. He responded again, thanking me for pointing out the error and basically said he was sorry that I "feel that way". And that's all. No attempt to apologize for not finding the error himself, no attempt to honor the $134 pricing. No attempt to still win my business. Nothing.

So, the question is... am I over-reacting about this. I mean, is LiquidWeb so great (and/or are the other guys so bad) that I should overlook this issue and choose LW anyway?

Thanks
    -RG
    Last edited by web1598; 05-31-2005 at 04:10 PM.

It doesnt really matter. Everybody makes mistakes. They should have noteced it though.
    I think that you are overreacting.
    Custom Cloud Solutions - innoix.com

Depending on the type of plan that they have with Ceonex, they may be waiting on Ceonex to change the graphics. Some companies go with the design only plan, and then are required to do their own graphic design, editing ... etc. after the original design is released, wheareas others get the full shabang with Ceonex and they upkeep, maintain and addon to the site.

The $134 price was for when they offered the P4 2.8 GHz, however they dropped that.

But, LiquidWeb is top quality. I've used them for quite some time now, and I've yet to have a problem with their services.

When I used LiquidWeb for a dedicated server a while back I was satisfied with the level of support and service they provided. They are a good company and you should probably give them the benefit of the doubt on this one. Keep in mind, often times with larger companies there are seperate departments that handle things (management changing pricing/plans and web development team updating the site).
    SeeksAdmin .:. Linux & Windows Server Management
    24/7 Coverage | 30 Day Guarantee | Fast Response Times
    Quality Outsourced Customer Support Services
    █ Drop Me A Line For Special Offers

Wink

Yes, I realize this can be a simple mistake and/or have a valid explanation. I suggested as much when I first contacted LW's sales department.

It was really the appearance of neglect and/or deception that bothered me (I was once a CIHost co-lo customer. After that, I've become extremely wary of signs of ineptitude ;-) ).

But.... behold the power of WHT! As I was writing this post, I received an email from the same salesperson. He apologized for the error and has now offered to value the $10 price difference. Of course, I can't say for certain whether or not he read this thread, but it does seem like an uncanny coincidence. And, it does make me feel A LOT better about choosing them.

-RG

Short Answer: Yes.
    ••• Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts! •••
    ••• http://www.sprintserve.net •••
    ••• Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting | •••
    ••• Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management | •••

This might be unrelated to this thread, but since you mentioned serverbeach I wanted to ask something about them, and saves me starting a new thread:

Has anyone got any experience with them? I'm just looking at a ping trace to thier server, and the lag spikes dont look promicing. several of the pings en-route have spiked to over 1000 multiple times, giving a rather high average ping (Rest are at the <200 level as I would expect being from UK). So is it just thier upstream provider cant handle the demand? (and if so, does anyone know of any plans for more pipes to be added).

Where in the trace route is it? Unless it's after they hit their router, it's not something they can control. It may be just the routing your ISP uses..
    James Lumby

Some routers deprioritize icmp packets, and some actually have rate-limiters to control packet rate. So having spikes may mean nothing at all.
    ••• Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts! •••
    ••• http://www.sprintserve.net •••
    ••• Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting | •••
    ••• Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management | •••

Christ man. There is a typo on their site that they didnt fix a few hours after you reported it and your worried about that?
    CloudNexus Technology Services
    Managed Services

web1598, yes you are overeacting!

For serverbeach, their ping is high - I get 210+ from Greece

Sorry forgot to paste, here's the one I ran a few sec ago.

Code:
    |                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
    |------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
    |        eth2-1.cr1.uk5.systems.pipex.net -    0 |   17 |   17 |   20 |   58 |   80 |   50 |
    |               POS5-0.GW1.LND9.ALTER.NET -    0 |   17 |   17 |   20 |  114 | 1052 | 1052 |
    |             so-3-0-0.xr1.LND9.ALTER.net -    6 |   17 |   16 |   20 |   56 |   71 |   40 |
    |             so-0-1-0.TR1.LND9.ALTER.NET -    0 |   16 |   16 |   20 |   53 |   80 |   30 |
    |            so-7-0-0.IR1.NYC12.ALTER.NET -    0 |   16 |   16 |  100 |  114 |  171 |  101 |
    |           0.so-1-0-0.IL1.NYC9.ALTER.NET -    0 |   16 |   16 |  100 |  106 |  140 |  100 |
    |           0.so-7-0-0.TL1.NYC8.ALTER.NET -    0 |   16 |   16 |  100 |  107 |  171 |  100 |
    |           0.so-0-0-0.XL1.NYC8.ALTER.NET -    0 |   16 |   16 |  100 |  117 |  180 |  110 |
    |               POS6-0.BR2.NYC8.ALTER.NET -    0 |   16 |   16 |  100 |  113 |  170 |  100 |
    |                          204.255.169.62 -    0 |   16 |   16 |   90 |  106 |  170 |  100 |
    |            p5-0-0.RAR1.NYC-NY.us.xo.net -    0 |   16 |   16 |   90 |  119 |  220 |  100 |
    |        p6-0-0.RAR2.Chicago-IL.us.xo.net -    0 |   16 |   16 |  120 |  459 | 1030 |  230 |
    |         p1-0-0.RAR1.Dallas-TX.us.xo.net -    0 |   16 |   16 |  150 |  379 | 1221 |  171 |
    |         p4-0-0.MAR1.Austin-TX.us.xo.net -    0 |   16 |   16 |  150 |  569 | 1241 | 1060 |
    |     ge2-0.CHR1.SanAntonio2-TX.us.xo.net -    0 |   16 |   16 |  150 |  362 |  701 |  260 |
    |                            209.49.35.18 -    0 |   16 |   16 |  150 |  160 |  170 |  160 |
    |                   No response from host -  100 |   16 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |
    |                 new-www.serverbeach.com -    0 |   16 |   16 |  160 |  182 |  250 |  190 |
    Looks like its ISP side, which is why I was asking if this was common place.

N.B. Earlier trace was worse.

Sigma,

For the record, I did not get bent out of shape by a typo.

My concern was triggered by the reaction I received from their salesperson when I pointed out the error. His inability to find this error after I told him it was on the homepage, really surprised me. Dedicated servers are only shown in two places on their homepage, and both sections have the price right next to the title. It seems awfully difficult to miss them...

So, his reaction plus the nature of the problem (i.e. price advertised is lower than actually charged) raised a red flag.

But, as I've already posted, the salesperson has since contacted me again and has shown that he does in fact want my business. So, all is good on that front. I will most likely choose LW as my provider. Case closed :-)

Thank you to those who actually tried to help.

-RG

Understood web1598 didnt mean to pick on you.
    CloudNexus Technology Services
    Managed Services

If you have to ask.....

We use the following: ServerMatrix and The Planet (same company essentially), Rackspace and also Liquidweb. I love Rackspace, but hate their pricing but I would say that Liquidweb have definitely been on a par with them for support - which is the key thing for me. ServerMatrix has been "ok" and have been responsive enough, but we have had some problems with them in the past which is why I would not rate them as highly.

To answer your question "yes, you're over-reacting" - you will get a good service from them if you go down this route