Uninstall mod_ssl & OpenSSL

Hi all,

I have a dedicated server for hosting my personal sites, not for business.

I would like to get ride of the mod_ssl, and OpenSSL on Apache 2.0, since I don't use them, and wont use them in the future, and wants to make the server clean and light as most as I can.

Should I remove the "mod_ssl" files from apache source and recompile it or what? what about OpenSSL? how can I get rid of it too?

I run CentOS 3.0 with Apache 2.0.54, using DirectAdmin control panel.

Any help would be appreciated

Thank you.

You can uninstall openssl easily since it is a rpm package installed in the centos servers. You may need to recompile apache without mod_ssl and thats the only way to uninstall that.
    AssistanZ - Beyond Boundaries...
    Cloudstack Consultancy / 24x7 Web Hosting Support / 24x7 Server Management / Infrastructure Management Services
    Web & Mobile Apps Development / Web Designing Services / Php, Grails, Java Development

You cannot uninstall openssl. You need it for things like openssh and wget, etc.

To remove mod_ssl you can tell the directadmin installer not to compile mod_ssl by modifying the configuration file.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

hi,

If you need to uninstall your Red Hat Linux Secure Web Server, use these commands (as root): rpm -e mod_ssl, rpm -e openssl.
    Bright Info Solutions

As thelinuxguy pointed out, you need openssl for other programs such as openssh, wget, etc. So I would suggest just removing mod_ssl.
    Game control panels - control your game world your way. Server-Genie.com
    http://www.server-genie.com

Thanks guys, I'll keep everythig in place in its place in the moment. I don't want to mess with the server soi much!