Negative experience with LayeredTech :(

Hello,

We had a server in LT for 3 months. That was a first one. It has a great service, but some support departments were quite slow responding tickets when their help starts to be extremely important..

We started to have issues with hard disk of our server some days ago (we used it only 3 month as I suggested above) so we submited a trouble ticket with OS reload request yesterdays morning (we live in GMT +2). We've got an answer only in the evening so can't respond to it at that time. Todays morning my collegue responded to it. Almost 6 hours was gone since that and there's still no answer, we even don't know are there any recovering procedures doing on our server at the present monent or not.

I completely understand that LT Company has a range of clients with the same problems at the present time. I also completely understand that while we have a working daytime LT Company has nightime and maybe would prefer to sleep. But I trully sorry - it seems to be that there's no 24/7/365 support.

We don't even think to go outside LT, its great, but now the support is as it is.

Jumber
    Last edited by Jumber; 05-31-2005 at 05:43 AM.

I had a server with them in december that had a bad hard disk, they diagnosed and started the replacement/os reload within 30 mins of it failing to reboot.

My new server also had hardware issues, after two chassis swaps everything is stable.

They have good/fast support

LBX that is possibly the stupidest comment you could make.
    Jumber's post states that the support hasn't been particularly good or fast .... sooo....... why state something that is fallacious !?

an IMO would be in order ... or perhaps an IME ..

LBX's post might not be as full as it could be, but i assume he's saying he hasn't had problems with their support which does hold some value to this thread. The serveral machines I have administered via resellers of LT have been great.
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

Usually it takes 24 hours for an os reload at LT
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

taemun are you slow on the uptake?

One person posts that the support has been slow in their opinion and another posts that it has been good for them and you jump all over them?

Clearly LBX has had good experiences with LT.. and I think he knows what he is talking about so settle down.
    CloudNexus Technology Services
    Managed Services

Jumber,

You made this exact same post on our forums earlier today and I replied to you there and I have also checked on the status of your reload it appears to be completed now and you are recovering data from the failed disk.

Here is my earlier reply.

http://layer0.layeredtech.com/showthread.php?p=4658

Hello,

I am sorry that you reload request was not acted on as fast as you expected this weekend. We had a long weekend in the US and many of our staff had it off so we where short staffed. They are now all back in and all open reload requests are being completed. We do have staff onsite 24/7 doing support, reloads, deploys, abuse and more and also a large volume of tickets to work so some replies may take longer then others depending on which department you are working with and how many tickets they have to work along with the complexity of the problems they are dealing with.

I have addressed our staff about the delays in reloads and hope to see improvments in the turn around times in the next few days.

Regards,

Jeremy

I stand behind LT because of how I've been treated. I had a power problem with one of my servers. I reported it, and was replaced within 30 minutes.

I do know that it takes longer on the weekends to get replys from them. I don't blame the sales team for not working the weekends. During the week, fast responses are acheived.
    Check out my new Chrome Extension - Server Admin Tool
    frustratedtech.com - Helpful Server Tech Advice

Yes, completely understandable. It was a holiday in the U.S.

I've hard a variety of hardware issues with my LT servers. One failed hard disk, two bad ram sticks, one bad power supply. This is spread across 10 servers though.

However, i've never had hardware issues with any other provider.

Reloads are usually done within 24 hours. However, if it's Friday when you request it, you're waiting until Monday. This has happened to me once for sure (two weeks ago), i think i recollect one other time too.

However, my overall experience with then has been decent enough that i'm not changing anytime soon. Their prices are hard to beat.

Originally posted by Sigmaservers
    taemun are you slow on the uptake?

One person posts that the support has been slow in their opinion and another posts that it has been good for them and you jump all over them?

Clearly LBX has had good experiences with LT.. and I think he knows what he is talking about so settle down.
    agree, taemun is too quick to judge. i've great expereince with theplanet's support team but some posters have stated negative.

you can' take one side completely, like LTAdmin replied, he post the samething on LT's forum which have been addresed.

I too stand behind LT's customer service. You are being far too hasty to judge.

I currently have 3 boxes and an unmetered with LT and I have to say I would never dream of going to another provider. Great network, great support.

i've also had some problems with layeredtech. i ordered a server. after some trouble with the server image i've ordered kvm access which didn't work for hours before they finally fixed it after i've written like 3 or 4 tickets. right after this the server crashed and i got the answer that the power supply broke and they weren't able to fix it in time because they are out of power supplies ...

that's really not what i would call a reliable service.

ps: server reboots usually take like 20 min. that's also way to slow in my eyes. if i request a server reboot i expect it to happen within 5 min. at least that's the what ev1 provides and i have 3 racks running there.
    Last edited by thoralf; 06-01-2005 at 05:57 PM.

I've had hard disk failures, doggy motherboard, unplugged network cables and had to get a server totally replaced due to random crashing.

Even with all the hardware problems I would still recommend them. But I've moved my main server back to thePlanet. It might be due to the hardware they use. But I guess it keeps the costs down, so you can't really complain.

And whenever they break the SLA they give me automatically 1 month free. Which is nice without me even asking.

seems the immediate cancellation of the contract helped some. they responded in no time, switch the (faulty) hardware - et voila: server and kvm are up and running smoothly. we also got a free 24h extension of the kvm service.
    so we "cancelled the cancellation"

Never had any problems with LT! I admin a couple of servers there, and only had to ask for support once when some idiot admin - I tried to blame someone else but it didn't work Isolated the server from the network .... reboot was done in under 15 minutes.

I have not had a server anywhere else, and would not hesitate to go there again....
    CPanel Shared and Reseller Hosting, OpenVZ VPS Hosting. West Coast (LA) Servers and Nodes
    Running Linux since 1.0.8 Kernel!
    Providing Internet Services since 1995 and Hosting Since 2004