Question about new hosting business

If I start to run a hosting. Do I need to have a lawyer? or sign up for a business like LLC, INC, Corp. ???
    If yes which type is for hosting?? Is hosting taxable??
    Thanks
    Charlie

Any business entity can be a hosting company, including a sole proprietorship (there are reasons however why you might not want to run a hosting company as a sole proprietorship however.).

Wether you need a lawyer or not is something only you can answer for yourself.

Yes, you should definitely be collecting taxes on your sales.

The questions your asking tho, strongly indicate you're nowhere near ready to start a hosting company. Go take a semester of business classes at your local community college or something.

Originally posted by Lightwave

Yes, you should definitely be collecting taxes on your sales.
    But most of hosting dont even charge clients taxes.

Originally posted by bosshero
    It all depends on the hosting companies individual circumstances.

I would guess that a lot of hosting companies do not meet the minimum level of income to become taxable in their country, as the amount of competition in the business is huge.

But, it is better to start taxing clients from day 1, as it will save you time when you do become legally obliged to tax clients.

At least make sure you cover the tax costs in your prices from day 1, you do not suddenly want to have to add it on top of your pricing one day.

I would say most people would be best consulting a lawyer and also a decent business advisor and financial advisor. A trip to see you local bank manager can also help you gain some important advice, without the risk of charges etc...

Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

At least in the US, services are not taxable, so you won't see hosting companies charge tax. However, at the end of the year, the company does have to pay income tax.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Re: Question about new hosting business

If I start to run a hosting. Do I need to have a lawyer?
    If you want to do it right, you should probably speak to a lawyer. All you really need at first is to sit down for an hour or two with a lawyer that knows business laws.

or sign up for a business like LLC, INC, Corp. ???
    This is not required, but it's something you might want to consider. If you'll be running it yourself, you can most likely just run it as a sole proprietor, and fill out some paperwork with the local government.

If yes which type is for hosting??
    An LLC or a Corporation (Inc. and Corp. are the same thing) are both valid choices. You should speak about this with your lawyer and your accountant.

Is hosting taxable??
    This depends on what country you are in. However, keep in mind that you still have to pay income tax at the end of the year for your own profits.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Originally posted by bqinternet
    At least in the US, services are not taxable, so you won't see hosting companies charge tax. However, at the end of the year, the company does have to pay income tax.
    IIRC, it is taxable in Texas, isn't it? Wasn't that a big stink a little while ago?
    Jacob - WebOnce Technologies - 30 Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - Over 5 Years Going Strong!
    Website Hosting, PHP4&5, RoR, MySQL 5.0, Reseller Hosting, Development, and Designs