Unhappy QuickPacket - Horrible Business Ethics!

After being with QuickPacket for some months now, I can say that QuickPacket's support has been awesome, as well as their uptime with only a couple outages, however when it comes down to how they operate, it's horrible.

I have a server with them, which the performance has been all too good, however we recently started a colocation operation out of Peer 1, which is very costly. We will be done with transfering all accounts over to a server on our rack tomorrow, and because they bill on the 1st of the month, I wanted to let them know I would be canceling.

Now here is were the problems start to happen, at the very end of our relationship. When I first signed up with them on their order form, I read and agreed with their TOS/AUP, which did not have a policy stating that customers must give a 30 day notice before you plan on leaving. They may or may not have had it on their website when I initially signed up, but they have the 30 day notice policy on their website. After some chatting on my ticket, they disabled our port then re-enabled it (guessing they thought about the fact that I am still a paying customer), then they billed me within my months term that I've already paid for saying "The billing department (which the company is only ran by one person as well) charged you consistently with our policy on cancellation. When a customer cancels, we immediately charge all remaining fees." I didn't know even their current policy says they will bill you before your actual due date. He called this an "Internal company policy"... isn't this called fraud without the customer knowing of such policies?

Despite the great support and OK uptime I've had, due to this incident, QuickPacket is one of the worst hosts I've been with.
    ColoInSeattle - From 1U to cage space colocation in Seattle
    ServerStadium - Affordable Dedicated Servers
    Come visit our 18k sq ft. facility in Seattle!
    Managed Private Cloud | Colocation | Disaster Recovery | Dedicated Servers

it seems you never part on good terms with a host... IIRC, you had a really bad ending with sago also

TheNetway, while most hosts are lenient about stuff like that (charging remaining fees etc) ... it is pretty standard and maybe you misread because qiuckpacket definitely had that on their rental agreements ... so calling them a "worst company" because of your own mistake is just low
    ServGrid - www.servgrid.com - Affordable and Reliable SSD Cloud Solutions
    Premium 10G Network, 2(N+1) Powerplant and SSD Performance
    Web, Reseller, KVM VPS, Storage and Private Cloud Hosting
    Click here to see our SSD Benchmarks!

Actually, there are threads going back to all the downtime they had back in October/November, which is why I left, and many others did as well

Originally posted by TheNetway
    Actually, there are threads going back to all the downtime they had back in October/November, which is why I left, and many others did as well

rumor was someone didn't pay some bills....

I think the bad threads you're referring to was someone who trashed thenetway for reselling thenynoc and didn't offer any support

It's not the policy that bothered me, it's the actions they took. They cut our port off, but re-enabled it later, then lied to me saying that they have had the 30 day cancelation policy in their order form for a while, when they just added it today.

No, you specifically stated Sago Networks. That has nothing to do with TheNYNOC.

Here is what I am talking about:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...highlight=Sago

There are many other threads of the series of downtime as well, a simple WHT search will show

Here's a lovely and true saying... It's about relationships but it applies here, too.
    You think you've found the perfect person... and then they flip on you.

Finding the right host will be a long and arduous task... As long as you charged it to a credit card, there's still a chance that you can request a chargeback. Just call up your CC company and tell them the whole story.

Originally posted by flashwiregsn
    Here's a lovely and true saying... It's about relationships but it applies here, too.
    You think you've found the perfect person... and then they flip on you.

Finding the right host will be a long and arduous task... As long as you charged it to a credit card, there's still a chance that you can order a chargeback. Just call up your CC company and tell them the whole story.
    it's just crummy to have a string of bad B to B relationships, imho even in a bad situation I would always try and maintain a healthy relationship with the provider, in the future you may need to do business with them again. It isn't in your interest to burn any bridges

Originally posted by TulipSystems
    it's just crummy to have a string of bad B to B relationships, imho even in a bad situation I would always try and maintain a healthy relationship with the provider, in the future you may need to do business with them again. It isn't in your interest to burn any bridges
    I agree with you... I always keep in contact with my old hosts to check for specials or new offers. However, when it comes to a host modifying their TOS at the last minute to pull more money out of you before you cancel services, you really should run like the wind.

flashwiregsn,

Yeah, QuickPacket was marvelous, but at the end you see how a company can be.

Also, TulipSystems, after a company has caused you such problems, most chances are you won't do business with them again I do keep in contact with all my older hosts but just in my personal opinion, QPwere money hungry (and again, my opinion).
    Last edited by VN-Ken; 05-31-2005 at 12:46 AM.

After reviewing your account:

1) You opened a ticket asking if we had a 30-day notice requirement for cancellation. We told you that we did.

2) You opened a ticket telling us that regardless of our 30-day notice requirement, you wanted your server canceled May 31 at 11:59 PM. We told you that wasn't possible, and again told you that we had a 30-day notification policy. We billed your account consistent with a cancellation on June 30 (since we only bill in full monthly increments after the first month). You told us that because you had a new co-lo contract, you didn't have the funds to pay your bill with us and asked for an extension on your bill. We declined to grant you any kind of extension.

Everything we did was consistent with a customer cancelling their server with us. We did nothing out of the ordinary. The cancellation policy has been on our web site since before you canceled. I'm very sorry that you feel you were wronged in this situation, but I don't feel that we did anything wrong.

If you have any questions, please open a support ticket.

Thanks.
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]
    Located in Atlanta, GA and Los Angeles, CA
    Dedicated Servers, KVM, Xen & OpenVZ VPS, Co-location, R1Soft Data Backup, Shared & Reseller Hosting

Like I said, Quick Packet just followed rules. Granted, most hosts in their situation woulda been a bit nicer, I guess they just wanted to squeeze that last month's $$ out of you

Well, I guess you better settle this privately with them, and let us know the final result. No interest in midst of communication between you and QP.

<- Still a HAPPY QuickPacket customer.

Originally posted by QuickPacket
    After reviewing your account:

1) You opened a ticket asking if we had a 30-day notice requirement for cancellation. We told you that we did.

2) You opened a ticket telling us that regardless of our 30-day notice requirement, you wanted your server canceled May 31 at 11:59 PM. We told you that wasn't possible, and again told you that we had a 30-day notification policy. We billed your account consistent with a cancellation on June 30 (since we only bill in full monthly increments after the first month). You told us that because you had a new co-lo contract, you didn't have the funds to pay your bill with us and asked for an extension on your bill. We declined to grant you any kind of extension.

Everything we did was consistent with a customer cancelling their server with us. We did nothing out of the ordinary. The cancellation policy has been on our web site since before you canceled. I'm very sorry that you feel you were wronged in this situation, but I don't feel that we did anything wrong.

If you have any questions, please open a support ticket.

Thanks.
    Well of course you don't feel you didn't do anything wrong, that is about the only thing that is a fact. You don't think it was wrong to cut off our uplink for a couple minutes, which caused us delays in transfering accounts over?

The main problem with the situation I am having is that there are no policies at all of all this...

It seems as though they are in the right strictly speaking, but it also seems a bit unethical to charge a customer again, right after they purchase colo from you in good faith.

Cserver - They never purchased co-location from us.

The customer specifically asked what our policy was on cancellation before they asked to cancel their server. We told them we had a required 30 day notice. We require this notice as do most other server providers.

If this customer had planned better by asking us our policies back a month ago, this would be a non-issue since they would have been able to follow procedure.
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]
    Located in Atlanta, GA and Los Angeles, CA
    Dedicated Servers, KVM, Xen & OpenVZ VPS, Co-location, R1Soft Data Backup, Shared & Reseller Hosting

While I do feel bad for you, TheNetWay, I don’t think QuickPacket is at fault here. Basically, from the information provided by the QuickPacket representative (that you didn’t dispute,) you were informed BEFORE you asked to cancel that there was indeed a 30 day notice required for canceling servers. After you were informed of this policy, you requested to cancel without adhering to the policy. They said no… and then you ran to WHT to complain about it.

Is this policy listed anywhere in their TOS / other legal documentation readily available to the customer on their website?
    Thanks,

Brendan Diaz
    Connect: linkedin.com/in/brendandiaz

Please look at the subject of this Topic.. "Horrible Business Ethics". They way they handled the situation is what made me angry.

I am sorry, the only disagreement I have here was that the port was closed...if the bill you "paid for" was for 30 days you should get 30 days more of service.

Other than that sounds like your due date was the 30th and they billed the final bill on that date

Please keep in mind all of you who are throwing stones you do not know (and really should not know) the other side (because it is none of our affair)...but..

Did they have bills they need to pay because the were not given proper notice, hardware leases, possibly server lease etc...The list can go on but if the customer does not cancel according to TOS, I would like to believe that the provider is just making sure he in not "upside down" on the deal before he to can extract himself from the server and deal himself.

Looked at from the perspective of a Med-Large ded server provider I know, but we have bills and employees and salaries to pay to....and they do not include taking a loss because a departing customer either didn't read or didn't care about how to leave properly.

TheNetway, sorry, man. i gotta agree QuickPacket did nothing wrong. they have their policy and it was there the whole time and you did ASK about how to cancel and they reply. i believe they have the rights to change their TOS/AUP without any notice just like phone/cable can do the same. it should be your duty to find out what their policy is and you did ASK!

TheNetway, by searching on WHT, like another had said...you really do have problem parting with your providers. what's up with that? you probably burned some bridgets over here on WHT.

Originally posted by jt2377
    TheNetway, sorry, man. i gotta agree QuickPacket did nothing wrong. they have their policy and it was there the whole time and you did ASK about how to cancel and they reply. i believe they have the rights to change their TOS/AUP without any notice just like phone/cable can do the same. it should be your duty to find out what their policy is and you did ASK!

TheNetway, by searching on WHT, like another had said...you really do have problem parting with your providers. what's up with that? you probably burned some bridgets over here on WHT.

Just a side note, when a customer does pull a runner on us .... and we have a 7 day cancellation policy for the record (no notice, just vacates the server and see ya) or worse yet strings us out and then leaves us holding the check...they do NOT get a second chance...as a few found out much to their dismay when ANZ went BOOM and we added a ton of customers...and other times to.

You see, most of us do not make all that much profit on the box...and when you pull a fast one like this....even if they can get the server back in service with 2 weeks, that can easily take 2-3 months and more to earn back the monies lost in expenses that you caused...and once burned, twice No way.

For those of you who have wondered why you have been refused when you try to come back...well there is why...

Just my thought .....
    Last edited by MrMcGoo; 06-01-2005 at 01:00 AM.

You know what I would really like to know?

If they had done you the favor, and let you cancel on short notice would you have come here and said something good about them?

We have a 7 day cancellation notice policy, if we let someone slide on it, they generally don't do so much as thank us...

If we don't they call us the worst host in the world and threaten to badmouth us.

It's as classic a situation for ISP's as unpaid bills, happens the end of every month.

Originally posted by Beachcomber
    Just a side note, when a customer does pull a runner on us .... and we have a 7 day cancellation policy for the record (no notice, just vacates the server and see ya) or worse yet strings us out and then leaves us holding the check...they do NOT get a second chance...as a few found out much to their dismay when ANZ went BOOM and we added a ton of customers...and other times to.

You see, most of us do not make all that much profit on the box...and when you pull a fast one like this....even if they can get the server back in service with 2 weeks, that can easily take 2-3 months and more to earn back the monies lost in expenses that you caused...and once burned, twice No way.

For those of you who have wondered why you have been refused when you try to come back...well there is why...

Just my thought .....
    i agree. if you start to burn people, what come around will go around. any providers have the rights not to welcome back BAD customers.

IMHO, it's bad to categorically make a comment about hosting customers ... it just seems that thenetway chooses to deal with things quite immaturely.

There is absolutely no lack of ethics in what they did. In fact, if anything, your coming here to rant and rave about something such as this reflects badly on TheNetway ....

just my 2c

Originally posted by jt2377

What does my past have to do with this single thread RIGHT HERE???

Originally posted by Take-IT-EZZI
    You know what I would really like to know?

If they had done you the favor, and let you cancel on short notice would you have come here and said something good about them?

We have a 7 day cancellation notice policy, if we let someone slide on it, they generally don't do so much as thank us...

If we don't they call us the worst host in the world and threaten to badmouth us.

It's as classic a situation for ISP's as unpaid bills, happens the end of every month.
    LOL, it seems everyone is missing the point.

Originally posted by The Broadband Man
    IMHO, it's bad to categorically make a comment about hosting customers ... it just seems that thenetway chooses to deal with things quite immaturely.

There is absolutely no lack of ethics in what they did. In fact, if anything, your coming here to rant and rave about something such as this reflects badly on TheNetway ....

just my 2c
    No disrespect, but you have no right to judge me based on my personal feelings, you don't know me, and I don't know you. This company changed their polcies based on the situation, then lied and said it has been like that all along. They even planned on turning off my server, however quickly realized I am still a paying client... is this making any sense to you??

This whole thread is rather disturbing and I feel badly bumping it further, however, to be clear:

TheNetway: you're nutso.

They didn't change their policies to spite you, frankly this thread has cost them double or triple in damages that they could've saved by just letting you out without 30-days of additional charges. The next webhostingtalk nutso will reference this thread when QuickPacket asserts the 30-day policy again.

What does my past have to do with this single thread RIGHT HERE???
    simple, you have problem with other providers beside Quickpacket and your side of story is alway wrong. in this thread, Quickpacket did nothing wrong. you did ASK! so don't act like you don't know their policy. Therefore, your thread title is b.s. you simply want to get back at Quickpacket.

keep burning bridgets that will get you somewhere.

Originally posted by goddenm
    This whole thread is rather disturbing and I feel badly bumping it further, however, to be clear:
    there is alway two side of story, in this case thenetway simply act like a child, thing didn't go his way, he cryied. Notice, he didn't disupte the fact that he ask QuickPacket about their cancel policy so he is fully aware of their rule.

No disrespect, but you have no right to judge me based on my personal feelings, you don't know me, and I don't know you.
    True enough but the thing is that leaves us with what was said and what wasn't disputed. You haven't disputed that you asked about the 30 day policy. Once you did and were informed then the case is closed. If a tech made an error in disablig ports and it was corrected in minutes you also don't have a huge problem.

Glass seems more than half full. You expereienced good service for the time you were with them which is more than alot of threads on WHT report. As the song says "Don't worry be Happy".