CPAN error on install DBD::mysql

Hello All,
    I am trying to install a series of Perl_Modules and have been having some trouble with the installation of DBD::mysql.
    I'm new to administration so forgive me if I ask any dumb questions.

I am working via SSH and when I enter the CPAN prompt with a 'perl -MCPAN -e shell' command, I type 'install DBD::mysql'.

It begins the install and then goes through a series of error messages and returns a "bad make" status. Some of the beginning errors lines look like this:

Checking if your kit is complete...
    Looks good
    Multiple copies of Driver.xst found in: /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3/i386-linux-thread-multi/auto/DBI/ /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3/i386-linux-thread-multi/auto/DBI/ at Makefile.PL line 395
    Using DBI 1.48 (for perl 5.008003 on i386-linux-thread-multi) installed in /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3/i386-linux-thread-multi/auto/DBI/
    Writing Makefile for DBD::mysql
    cp lib/DBD/ blib/lib/DBD/
    cp lib/DBD/mysql/ blib/lib/DBD/mysql/
    cp lib/ blib/lib/
    cp lib/DBD/mysql/INSTALL.pod blib/lib/DBD/mysql/INSTALL.pod
    cp lib/Mysql/ blib/lib/Mysql/
    cp lib/Bundle/DBD/ blib/lib/Bundle/DBD/
    gcc -c -I/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3/i386-linux-thread-multi/auto/DBI/ -I'/usr/include/mysql' -DDBD_MYSQL_INSERT_ID_IS_GOOD -g -D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE -DTHREADS_HAVE_PIDS -DDEBUGGING -fno-strict-aliasing -I/usr/local/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -I/usr/include/gdbm -O2 -g -pipe -march=i386 -mcpu=i686 -DVERSION=\"2.9007\" -DXS_VERSION=\"2.9007\" -fPIC "-I/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.3/i386-linux-thread-multi/CORE" dbdimp.c
    In file included from dbdimp.c:19:
    dbdimp.h:21:49: mysql.h: No such file or directory
    dbdimp.h:22:49: errmsg.h: No such file or directory
    In file included from dbdimp.c:19:
    dbdimp.h:106: error: syntax error before "MYSQL"
    dbdimp.h:106: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or union

Then it displays a long series of errors and at the end of the string it says:

dbdimp.c:2422: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    dbdimp.c: In function `mysql_db_quote':
    dbdimp.c:2558: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    dbdimp.c: In function `mysql_db_last_insert_id':
    dbdimp.c:2574: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    make: *** [dbdimp.o] Error 1
    /usr/bin/make -- NOT OK
    Running make test
    Can't test without successful make
    Running make install
    make had returned bad status, install seems impossible

Any ideas? I have been having a similar problem trying to install the DBIx::FullTextSearch module as well. I wonder if there is a common problem.

Thanks for any help.

Do you have the MySQL header files included in your path? You also should install the MySQL development libraries/files/package/rpm for your distribution.

Install those, then try again. Seems to me it can't find mysql.h -- which leads me to believe that its not in /usr/linclude/mysql, or that you don't have the mysql development libraries installed.
    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.
    If you feel like it, you can read my blog
    Signal > Noise