* How could Megauplaod offer so much?

www.Megaupload.com now offers 500MB of upload space for users to share files with others. How in the world could they give so much?

We will host your file forever, until it is unused for 30 days. If nobody downloads your file for 30 days, its deleted automatically.
    To make things more unbelievable, they are keeping the file there forever or 30 days at least. They only have so much storage on their servers. I could see a lot of people abusing this service.. Heck, soon you do NOT even need to buy a server to share big files. I can bet that this company will quickly run out of business. Don't know how they could afford 25 unmetered servers at Ev1servers. This is surely going to have a negative impact on the web hosting industry. Someone shed any light on this? They are really raising the stakes against other competitors such as yousendit.com rapidshare.de
    Last edited by HD Fanatic; 05-30-2005 at 10:45 PM.

It could be a loss leader.. if your company is large enough, 25 servers is nothing. Plus, you can fit about a TB of data in one server, and not everyone will use a full 500MB. Even if they did, you could fit 2000 users on one server @$250/mo.

Google gives 1GB of email space away..

What I can't figure out is how anyone can even use that, most of the time anything over like 50mb uploaded via a browser, times out on me and never goes through anyways..
    Let Google know when your dead | Read More >>
    Submit Your Press Release, Article, or News Tip Today
    W3Reports - News for Webmasters

hahaha

- 25 servers
    - 300.000 users a day (They just started, so its hard to belive)
    - 50 TB Week (also hard to belive)
    - One broke man

Originally posted by Johnburk
    hahaha

- 25 servers
    - 300.000 users a day (They just started, so its hard to belive)
    - 50 TB Week (also hard to belive)
    - One broke man
    They didn't just start, were formerly www.youshareit.com

They key is advertising..

Thats a nice site lol... i want one just like it but maybe host smaller files lol...

Originally posted by adam
    They key is advertising..
    Amazing how they can get at least 5,000 a month to cover their hosting fees

They're probably minting it through google ads and the donation is probably getting the odd $5 here and there.

Google gives 1GB of email space away..
    But that's only in 10MB maximum chunks. This is much more likely to fill up their servers than anyone reaching their google limit.

Also 1TB per server is pretty small. With Drive Enclosures or NAS they could have hundreds of TB available.
    Steve

Most files will be put up for downloading once or twice so the 30 day cycle will remove the majority of files i would assume.

Originally posted by terfex
    Most files will be put up for downloading once or twice so the 30 day cycle will remove the majority of files i would assume.
    doubt it, most people will use this for hosting and it isn't so hard to hae 1 download every 30 days to keep the file intact.