Thread: Arghhhhh....

Arghhhhh....

Hey guys.

I really really need your help here im having major problems.

I posted a support ticket to my "host" on the 5th May 2005 and i've had no response. I called them up and got through to them once (few weeks ago) and they said they'd reboot the server and get the server working again.

Anyway the server has stuck on the same sort of status.

FTP DOWN
    HTTP OK
    EMAIL DOWN (Was Up For A While)
    CPANEL UP (But No License)
    WEBMAIL UP
    MY SQL UP

The current status is back to above.

Basically theres evidence to suggest that my "host" is doing a runner:
    No reply to support ticket where they are usually within 20 mins
    Livechat is always offline
    No longer answering phone (They are based in texas and its expensive for me to call so thats not making me happy)
    Cpanel's license has expired
    Their domain expires soon - no attempt to renew yet

So basically I have a website www.fofusion.co.uk which is an online entertainment site with flash games and that kinda crap.

Anyway its like 500MB in size and recently I formatted my pc by mistake so I don't have any of the files backed up anymore.

So I need a way in which to download all the files. Before I had all the flash files etc stored on http://media.fofusion.co.uk but I thought hmm people would leech the files and that's not good so I put a redirect. so I cant just right click then save target as.

I doubt theres much hope but I dont want to have to install about a million miniclip games again.

Any advice or tips to get the files back would be great.

I am going to give them a few days before I call their credit card merchant and their bank to report it as fraud but I dont really care about that its the files thats important. I already have hosting sorted with another company.

Thanks everyone and have a great day.

Barry

not sure if this will do the trick but try wget -rm site address that should mirror your site locally minus the email and databsaes. It is at least a start. Good luck.
    Digital Offensive
    http://www.digitaloffensive.com
    Take an offensive approach to Security know what your foes know!

Not sure what to say.

Theres alot of new hosts, and they just do runners all the time.

Id have to agree, get a cPanel backup from your account just incase.

Even do it once a day.

Inquire to new hosts, I would recommend you do not go for "cheap" hosts, they normally mean the host is new and just wants to try hosting out. Always whois the domain and see when it was registered, I would not go with hosts that are not around for atleasy 8 months.

Its kind of unfair to new hosts, but there are just so many of them now adays.
    Server Management - AdminGeekZ.com
    Infrastructure Management, Web Application Performance, mySQL DBA. System Automation.
    WordPress/Magento Performance, Apache to Nginx Conversion, Varnish Implimentation, DDoS Protection, Custom Nginx Modules
    Check our wordpress varnish plugin. Contact us for quote: sales@admingeekz.com

Thanks a lot people.

I'll try it when I get home.

Finally I have a new host who seems to be working out great.

I've had no downtime or anything ;-D

Thanks again and I'll get back to you.

Barry

Originally posted by genxweb
    not sure if this will do the trick but try wget -rm site address that should mirror your site locally minus the email and databsaes. It is at least a start. Good luck.
    Err where do I do this.

If its to do with SSH I do not have ssh access.

I used HTTracker or whatever its called and i seem to have got everything except my pages which are in php so it means i'll have to do about a million flash game pages, video pages again. but at least I have the big files.

I can always just go and save each page through my browser.

I'm still open to ideas though because i'd rather not go through a million pages ;-)

Thanks again
    Barry

I doubt they'll do anything since you're not their customer, but have you tried contacting the planet since that's where that server appears to be hosted from? It's always worth a try.
    James Lumby

Never thought I'll give it a go.

They should at least be able to tell me whether its a fault or not.

Barry

Dude sorry, if yo udont have a shell or linux runnign at hum get cygwin and you run the command on their from your home computer.
    Digital Offensive

try going to cpanel.net and requesting a 15-day trial license for your ip - it should let you get into cpanel to get backup

thanks a lot i'll give it a go ;-)

Regarding contacting the planet I gave them a ring and they dont have a contract as such - i was interested in investigating to see whether or not the were nearing the end of their contract to back up my "their running away with my money theory"

The server actually seems down at the moment but depending on whether they (my webhost) wants them to get it back up or not they cant do anything - like when they signed up to the planet if they did not want the planet to try get it back up if there was a problem then they cant just go and do it.

As for getting a license thats a great idea. How would that work would it just get it working immediately or would i have to upload stuff because I have no access

I'll wait till the server is back up before I do that incase it takes longer than 15 days to get it going again.

Thanks again everyone have a great day!

Barry

cpanel contacts the cpanel licensing servers everytime someone logs in so if cpanel activate a temp license for the server ip your on it will let you login long enough to get a backup, although things like fantastico etc will not work very likely

Excellent thanks a lot ;-)

I've installed cygwin and i'll give it a go.

EDIT

when i type either:

wget -rm fofusion.co.uk
    or
    wget -rm http://fofusion.co.uk
    or
    wget -rm www.fofusion.co.uk
    or
    wget -rm http://www.fofusion.co.uk

I get:
    bash: wget: command not found

Barry
    Last edited by Bazz_2k1; 06-01-2005 at 10:18 AM.

look in /usr/bin/ for wget. I did a full isntall on my box and I have access to it.
    Digital Offensive

Thanks for all your help genxweb

Err I am running windows so there is no such directory on my computer.

As for the server I cannot access it.

So I really dont know what you're talking about.

Barry

Oh may be worth mentioning that after I tried it and it didnt work i changed the nameserver info to the new host so it would be best to do it from ip then.

the ip is 67.18.209.226

Thanks

Barry
    Last edited by Bazz_2k1; 06-01-2005 at 11:05 AM.

Barry the cygwin is a linux shell enviroment when executed it gives you a linux shell on your local computer enven though you have windows as your native o/s. I am sorry this suggestion did not work for you. I like to say good luck on getting the info that you need and on your new host. If there is anything else I can help with let me know.

Thanks
    Digital Offensive

Thanks a lot ;-)

Your help is much appreciated.

Have a great day.

It doesnt seem to be much of a problem i've got most of the website sorted again so I think i'll cope. Thankfully the forums are no longer hosted on the same hosting package so theres not really any databases that I can think of except the ad system but thats not a problem.

Barry

You could also just grab a win32 port of wget and use that rather than install cgywin

Thanks.

I only need to get some pages but I've managed to create most of them again so I've not really lost anything now so I think I'll just do with what I have the now.

I activated that cpanel license anyway to see if it would let me check if I did have any databases that I needed.

Thanks again ;-)

Have a great day!

Barry