Thread: Best Option

* Best Option

I have one video file that I want to put on my website but I want it to play with dialup and broadband connections. The broadband verison is 30MB and the dial-up is 10MB. The video itself is 19 minutes long. What is the best way to make this video available to play off my website? I put the broadband version on there and it works..if you have a broadband connection. However, the dial-up version stops and starts. Should I change the format, go with streaming services, etc.?

Thanks

Not sure if this'll be of help or not, but personally I'd split the video into several smaller files. You'll ultimately save bandwidth as well as correct the disruptions over dialup connections.

HTH,
    Scott Bannon
    BanPro NET - stable & secure web services since 2000

So split the files then list the clips on the website? How do i make it smooth so the clips lead off where they ended?

I would create two links. One link goes to the smaller version of the file that is either a smaller resolution or slower frame rate. One link could go to the broadband version.

You don't need to split your large version into smaller chunks. The reason it starts and stops on slower connections is that the dialup connection cannot keep up with the video rate and stream it at the speed it gets it.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

I actually tried to do two links and the dialup link is 10MB. This is too large to load correctly for dialup in my opinion. I'm not sure if I should go with a streaming service...etc.

Lets say average dialup is 56K
    Then 10MB is about 25minutes to download. (non streaming)

30Mb @512Kbit is about 8-10 minutes to download. (non streaming)

30Mb @2048Kbit is about 2-5 minutes to download. (non streaming)

I would offer 3 qualities and try a nice codec that alot of people use to make the file smaller. And stream it.

Low - 05MB
    Mid - 15MB
    High - 30MB

I would say that 10mb is still on the verge of too large for most dial-up users...

Which codec did you use?
    Michele Bugliaro Goggia, designer SUP in visual communication
    webmaster: www.ufopsi.com

Originally posted by -T{H}R-
    I would say that 10mb is still on the verge of too large for most dial-up users...
    yep.

for dial-up users try to come up with a file that is around 3-4MB in size.

Not sure which codec I used, but I exported the file using ULEAD. I guess the codec is Windows Media Player and the file is a .wmv.

Try QuickTime 7: mpeg-4 maybe, or the new codec H.264?
    Michele Bugliaro Goggia, designer SUP in visual communication
    webmaster: www.ufopsi.com